Cruising the Caribbean

fudge

Thank you everyone for your very informative replies. The ship sails at 11 pm however we may take your advice and go one day earlier.

What's your next port after embarkation, and are you scheduled to arrive at that port the day after you leave Barbados ?

For me, I would be very nervous indeed about flying in same day when there's such a distance involved. However, one place I would consider it if I absolutely had to, would be the Caribbean because of the proximity of most ports.

For example, when departing Florida for the Caribbean there are often two (sometimes three) sea days after departure. In that case, although it would be possible to fly to the first port it would mean missing those first few days of the cruise.

But in this instance if your next port is very close to Barbados with a decent air link and early flights the next day, it may be worth the risk. (I'm not recommending it though!). Of course, this would only work if the next day flights had seats available.

What's your next port after embarkation, and are you scheduled to arrive at that port the day after you leave Barbados ?

For me, I would be very nervous indeed about flying in same day when there's such a distance involved. However, one place I would consider it if I absolutely had to, would be the Caribbean because of the proximity of most ports.

For example, when departing Florida for the Caribbean there are often two (sometimes three) sea days after departure. In that case, although it would be possible to fly to the first port it would mean missing those first few days of the cruise.

But in this instance if your next port is very close to Barbados with a decent air link and early flights the next day, it may be worth the risk. (I'm not recommending it though!). Of course, this would only work if the next day flights had seats available.

The first port when we did this cruise in March was Mayreau which was a caviar in the surf port. Not sure what the air link would be like but we flew in the day before.

Mayreau has no airport. It's tiny! There's a nice walk over the hill to another pretty bay if you can stand the heat. A great bar half way up the hill with nice chips too! We were the only travellers to venture away from the BBQ on our spirit cruise. Shame

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Good to see my advice for you to take a shower worked Henry.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You know me Mr L. I like to use the shower at least once during the cruise whether I need it or not just to feel I've had my money's worth :)

H.

Recommend an itinerary that features smaller ports that the large cruise ships cannot visit due to their size. The multiple arrival of large ships tends to overwhelm ports and leads to crowded conditions. Also recommend using your cruise as a scouting trip to find your perfect small island for a follow-up land vacation at a great hotel or resort - the best way to enjoy the Carribbean. The best time to go is the shoulder season to avoid uncomfortable conditions (i.e. heat, rain, mosquitos, crowds) as well as high prices.