Videographers: Avid Media Composer First - Free App

topkatz

I ran across this the other day on Engadget. "Hollywood's favorite video-editing tools arrive in a free app" - Avid Media Composer First (https://www.engadget.com/2017/08/01/avid-media-composer-first-free-app-hands-on/).

I current use Adobe Premier for video but this was intriguing.I signed up for an account and downloaded the software. Haven't used it yet. Maybe for the next cruise video.

Thought it might be of interest to the videographers out there.

BTW, when you sigh up, there are a bunch of royalty free music and sound effects that you can download as well.

YMMV

Regards,

Paul

Well documented site and support, large, took a bit to download and set up but good to go, except...

All my clips are from the Sony a6000, and Avid does not have/supply codecs for Sony, GoPro, etc. style MP4 media files....

So apparently to use it, I'd have to convert any of those files with a third party program first to DNxHD, then the AVID can import them for editing.

So in summary: Be aware of the AVID programs file format requirements/compatibility, your clips format, and then decide if this will work for you. (If I had, I'd have saved a bit of time, oh well, live and learn...)

shootr -

Thanks for the updates. I'm still days away from trying it out. It seems rather intimidating for a novice.

Not sure if you looked into nablet (http://www.nablet.com/ama-plugins/) They seem to have taken over development for Sony plug-in support. The good news is that their plugins seem to support Media Composer First as well as the other Avid products. That may not be a solution for MP4 video, it seems more related to AVCHD.

Regards,

Paul

If it's everything experienced users have said, it should be worth the learning curve. I'm still using Corel VideoStudio Pro, even though it's a paid program, after a few trials it was what clicked for me. AVID really did do a nice job on the video tutorials, at least the couple I watched - You Tube could be a good resource as well.

Hope it works out well for you.