"caviar in the surf"

Mr. Manhattan

Thanks, Tug Guy. Did you know about it in advance? I don't see this activity listed on our cruise. Do they just sort of spring it on you last minute?

Depending on the CD it may be mentioned one or two days in advance but will certainly be in the Herald delivered to your suite the night before. Alternatively, ask at Seabourn Square - they will have the whole week's programme.

• 3 months later...
Is this a special event that you need to reserve in advance? How long is the "caviar in the surf"? Does this activity conflict with booked shore excursions?

I just disembarked from Seabourn Odyssey yesterday. Our “caviar in the surf” was on the Carambola Beach day. It did not interfere with shore excursions. I’m doing this from memory since I didn’t save the daily program, but lunch was served from noon until two on the beach. Water sports (pedal boats and kayaks) went from one until three. The chaise lounges, umbrellas and open bar were available from the time the first tender got there until the last tender, which I think was at 4:30 PM. The exact time of when the “caviar in the surf” will occur will be in the daily program. I think ours was listed at 11:30 AM or noon and it seemed like the crewmembers were in the surf serving caviar and champagne for 30-45 minutes. The tenders only go from the ship to Carambola Beach. Carambola Beach is where the chaise lounges, umbrellas, lunch, water sports and caviar in the surf will occur. If you take a tender from the ship, you cannot miss it.

• 1 year later...

Did not have it last Dec when we were on the Bali to Sydney cruise.

I would presume it would not be allowed by the countries especially Australia not allowing food to be brought from the ship to the shore. I did not ask.  Just presumed

On some sea days Seabourn had a function around the pool with the staff standing in the pool serving caviar and champagne. 

Edited by Thecat123

Thanks, but if Indonesia proved problematic (and alcohol definitely would!) Why couldn't they have it in Australia on Moreton Island, Airlie Beach, Cairns or Townsville, etc? It will be a lesser experience without the caviar in the surf!

Hi, there.   I am pretty sure Australia would not allow food and drink to be brought ashore.  Australian immigration goes to defcon 1 if they find you are bringing in a banana.  On our pacific cruise last Oct/Nov, Seabourn did caviar in the pool because of local regulations.

Also depending on  the time of year (eg during the Australian summer) you can't swim in the ocean around Queensland (mainly north Queensland but also the Whitsunday Islands) due to very dangerous jelly fish.  The stings can kill you!  And of course there are the sharks too .............................    Much safer to have caviar in the ship's pool which is exactly where we had it on our recent Bali to Sydney cruise, December 2018.

We will be on the 10day cruise on Encore departing April 12th from Benoa to Singapore.  Can anyone comment on whether Cavier in the surf could be done at any of our ports stops in Indonesia?  I rather think not, but one can always hope.  

wripro its spelt Koh Kood and it was a very good day

Seabourn also did not have a Caviar in the Surf day on the cruise from Auckland NZ around the Islands back to NZ probably for the same reasons as mentioned above about not being allowed to take food ashore but did have it around the pool

Also NZ has just found a Queensland Fruit Fly at Devonport  which is now causing problems. Someone maybe brought  some kind of fruit into NZ with the fly This is why countries are watching for food coming into countries.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12204579

Also Seabourn did not have a Caviar in the Surf day on the Antarctica cruise. I do not understand why?  😀 but they did have it around the pool

Edited by Thecat123

19 hours ago, Thecat123 said:

wripro its spelt Koh Kood and it was a very good day

Seabourn also did not have a Caviar in the Surf day on the cruise from Auckland NZ around the Islands back to NZ probably for the same reasons as mentioned above about not being allowed to take food ashore but did have it around the pool

Also NZ has just found a Queensland Fruit Fly at Devonport  which is now causing problems. Someone maybe brought  some kind of fruit into NZ with the fly This is why countries are watching for food coming into countries.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=12204579

Also Seabourn did not have a Caviar in the Surf day on the Antarctica cruise. I do not understand why?  😀 but they did have it around the pool

That's why SB's advertising is a bit misleading on caviar in the surf. They really only do it in the two places I mentioned as far as I know. More often it's done around the pool.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2019 at 6:57 PM, wripro said:

The on;y two places I've ever seen caviar in the surf is in the Caribbean and in Thailand (Ko Kut I think.)

Same here. 

Ko Kood /Ko Kut was where it was held on the Singapore to Hong Kong cruise December 2018.We did the same itinerary on Sojourn in March 2014 and were also at Ko Kood. 

Recently in the Caribbean it's been held at Carambola Beach (St Kitts), Half Moon Cay (Bahamas) and Mayreau too.

On cruises outwith Caribbean and Thailand it's always been a Caviar in the Pool event, or on cooler weather itineraries  it was held in the Grand Salon once.