All booked for our 2.5 days in July!

lmintzer

After much deliberation, I finally have our activities booked for our 2.5 days in Bermuda (coming in on the Breakaway in late July).

Day 1: Bermuda Byways tour with Heidi (overview of whole island, including some of St. George). 9-4ish. Excited that this includes Gibb's Lighthouse (which would have been hard to fit in on our Day 2).

Looks like we'll have hour or so to check out Dockyard shops when we return--it's not much, but it's the only "free" time we'll have during business hours. We are not big shoppers on vacation, so that's fine.

Evening: possibly ferry to Hamilton for Harbour Nights (guess we'd need a dinner reservation if we do this?) or dinner on the ship and back off for sunset Fun Golf.

Day 2: 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Parasailing with K & S Watersports. Back on ship to grab beach bag and eat a quick lunch. Cab (or beach shuttle, if they'll drop us there) from Warwick to Horseshoe beach walk with swimming/exploring. Plan is to catch the last shuttle to Dockyard at 6. Dinner on ship and then possible late-evening glass bottom boat tour.

Day 3: Hidden Gems tour (I reseved this through the ship to guarantee we can't miss sail-away). 7:30 (!!) -2:30. All-about is 2:30, but, again, it's not our headache if we are a little late.

Overall, I think this plan will allow us to see an experience a good deal of Bermuda in a short time. Downside is not a lot of freedom to creatively explore on our own (and no time to experience the ferry ride to St. George). Also my younger son wanted to fit in a helmet dive--that was/is another option for the last day if we decide to drop Hidden Gems. I know most people love the Helmet Dive, but I'm a little unsure, and if a lot of groups go, my boys will not appreciate the long wait-times on the boat. Hidden Gems will keep everyone very actively busy).

Thanks to all who weighed in and offered suggestions. I will post when we return to report how everything went.

• 1 month later...
After much deliberation, I finally have our activities booked for our 2.5 days in Bermuda (coming in on the Breakaway in late July).

Day 1: Bermuda Byways tour with Heidi (overview of whole island, including some of St. George). 9-4ish. Excited that this includes Gibb's Lighthouse (which would have been hard to fit in on our Day 2).

Looks like we'll have hour or so to check out Dockyard shops when we return--it's not much, but it's the only "free" time we'll have during business hours. We are not big shoppers on vacation, so that's fine.

Evening: possibly ferry to Hamilton for Harbour Nights (guess we'd need a dinner reservation if we do this?) or dinner on the ship and back off for sunset Fun Golf.

Day 2: 10 a.m.-12 p.m. Parasailing with K & S Watersports. Back on ship to grab beach bag and eat a quick lunch. Cab (or beach shuttle, if they'll drop us there) from Warwick to Horseshoe beach walk with swimming/exploring. Plan is to catch the last shuttle to Dockyard at 6. Dinner on ship and then possible late-evening glass bottom boat tour.

Day 3: Hidden Gems tour (I reseved this through the ship to guarantee we can't miss sail-away). 7:30 (!!) -2:30. All-about is 2:30, but, again, it's not our headache if we are a little late.

Overall, I think this plan will allow us to see an experience a good deal of Bermuda in a short time. Downside is not a lot of freedom to creatively explore on our own (and no time to experience the ferry ride to St. George). Also my younger son wanted to fit in a helmet dive--that was/is another option for the last day if we decide to drop Hidden Gems. I know most people love the Helmet Dive, but I'm a little unsure, and if a lot of groups go, my boys will not appreciate the long wait-times on the boat. Hidden Gems will keep everyone very actively busy).

Thanks to all who weighed in and offered suggestions. I will post when we return to report how everything went.

I can't wait to hear about your cruise! We are on the Dawn Boston to Bermuda on Sept 1 and have booked a mini bus tour of the island on the first day and the Hidden Gems tour on the third day, both through NCL. The second day I think we will do the National Museum (highly recommended to me), then the NCL ferry to St Georges with stops at Fort St. Catherine's and the beaches. Fun Golf upon return, time permitting. Looking forwarded to finding out what you manged to fit in.

Valerie

Hi Valerie. We are back! We had a fun cruise and an amazing time in Bermuda. We experienced some inclement weather on our sea days (rain parts of each day and some rough seas on the way back to NY) but still enjoyed ourselves. While on the island, we stuck to our "day plan" (Bermuda Byways tour on day 1, parasailing and beach walk/swimming on day 2, and Hidden Gems on day 3). However, we didn't get to any of the evening activities. My 70-year-old dad was with us (he did everything--even the Hidden Gems and parasailing!) but was pretty worn out each day by the time we returned to the dockyard. My teen boys were anxious to get back on the ship as well (my oldest wanted to hang out with his new friends, and my youngest wanted some down time). If it had been just me, I would have pushed on, certainly on day 1--I would have spent an hour exploring the Dockyward and then ferried over to Harbour Nights. But I didn't want to push everyone--it was vacation and all. Yes, I am a little disappointed about never having seen anything on the Dockyard and about missing Harbour Nights--and also about not having experienced a ferry ride--but it's okay. My plan was quite ambitious, and I'm happy most of it worked out so well. One thing to thing to keep in mind with your plan: there is a good chance that what you see and hear on your mini-bus tour will overlap what you pass on the Hidden Gems tour (since you drive through almost the entire island to get to your first stop). Although the Bermuda Byways tour afforded us stops where we could climb Gibb's Hill lighthouse and visit the botanical gardens and have lunch at a scenic site, in retrospect, I might have skipped this tour. With my dad with us, it made sense, becaue there are limits to the amount of continuous walking he could do. If it had been just me and my kids, I might have re-vamped the schedule somewhat. Maybe would have done Hidden Gems on Day 1. parasailing and South Shore beaches on day 2, and NCL Ferry to St. George on Day 3.

Hi Valerie. We are back! We had a fun cruise and an amazing time in Bermuda. We experienced some inclement weather on our sea days (rain parts of each day and some rough seas on the way back to NY) but still enjoyed ourselves. While on the island, we stuck to our "day plan" (Bermuda Byways tour on day 1, parasailing and beach walk/swimming on day 2, and Hidden Gems on day 3). However, we didn't get to any of the evening activities. My 70-year-old dad was with us (he did everything--even the Hidden Gems and parasailing!) but was pretty worn out each day by the time we returned to the dockyard. My teen boys were anxious to get back on the ship as well (my oldest wanted to hang out with his new friends, and my youngest wanted some down time). If it had been just me, I would have pushed on, certainly on day 1--I would have spent an hour exploring the Dockyward and then ferried over to Harbour Nights. But I didn't want to push everyone--it was vacation and all. Yes, I am a little disappointed about never having seen anything on the Dockyard and about missing Harbour Nights--and also about not having experienced a ferry ride--but it's okay. My plan was quite ambitious, and I'm happy most of it worked out so well. One thing to thing to keep in mind with your plan: there is a good chance that what you see and hear on your mini-bus tour will overlap what you pass on the Hidden Gems tour (since you drive through almost the entire island to get to your first stop). Although the Bermuda Byways tour afforded us stops where we could climb Gibb's Hill lighthouse and visit the botanical gardens and have lunch at a scenic site, in retrospect, I might have skipped this tour. With my dad with us, it made sense, becaue there are limits to the amount of continuous walking he could do. If it had been just me and my kids, I might have re-vamped the schedule somewhat. Maybe would have done Hidden Gems on Day 1. parasailing and South Shore beaches on day 2, and NCL Ferry to St. George on Day 3.

I am happy to hear you had a great time in Bermuda. I would suspect that although there were some things you wished you had visited, you probably did a lot more than most. And you were very accomodating to the range of ages in your group.

Unfortunately, since we are sailing out of Boston, we arrive in Bermuda on Sunday at 1pm, Monday is Labour Day, and then Tuesday departure is at 5:30pm. This schedule poses a couple of limitations that yours did not have. The only Hidden Gems tour is on the third day which I absolutely want to do and also gives me peace of mind in not having to worry about the return time. Luckily for us, the tour doesn't start until 9:30am.

I definitely have debated back and forth about doing the minibus tour on Sunday as well for the same reasons you mentioned. I realize the drive will be 75% the same but the minibus tour has stops at the lighthouse, St. George's and Hamilton which the Hidden Gems tour does not. I also understand that NCL tours have priority disembarkation. Additionally, transportation is limited on Sundays. Since this is our first cruise and first trip to Bermuda, I think doing this tour will align with seeing more in the short time period.

Curiously, did you get to see St. Georges and Hamilton on your byways tour?

Any additional thoughts are appreciated!

Valerie

Valerie, Yes, I know we did see a lot. I should definitely focus on that as opposed to what we didn't do. It sounds like Hidden Gems on Day 3 will work well for you (with that later departure). A 9:30 start is very reasonable! You should get priority disembarkation with your ship-sponsored mini-bus tour. If you are set on doing the mini-bus tour, I would make sure that your stop at the lighthouse includes time to actually climb to the top. The views are wonderful from up there. Also make sure you will get to see Hamilton--we really didn't have any substantial time there--just a stop at the Hamilton Princess Hotel (one of the other members of the tour group who booked before we did had requested it) and a peak at the harbor. Our stop in St. George was shorter than I would have liked, too (though it was long enough for my kids). I really wanted to photograph the unfinished church (just saw it from the van) and stop at the sea glass beach (it was pointed out to us but no stop). If you are going to do the ferry to St. George on Day 2 with stops in town and then the fort and beaches, then you are probably going to have substantial overlap with your tour. You might truly be able to skip it and make a trip to the lighthouse and beaches on your own on your first day in town (looks to be open 10:00-4:30 on Sundays). You could disembark, take a cab to the lighthouse and have it come back for you after to drop you at one of the south shore beaches--or in Hamilton if you prefer. Just a thought.

Valerie, Yes, I know we did see a lot. I should definitely focus on that as opposed to what we didn't do. It sounds like Hidden Gems on Day 3 will work well for you (with that later departure). A 9:30 start is very reasonable! You should get priority disembarkation with your ship-sponsored mini-bus tour. If you are set on doing the mini-bus tour, I would make sure that your stop at the lighthouse includes time to actually climb to the top. The views are wonderful from up there. Also make sure you will get to see Hamilton--we really didn't have any substantial time there--just a stop at the Hamilton Princess Hotel (one of the other members of the tour group who booked before we did had requested it) and a peak at the harbor. Our stop in St. George was shorter than I would have liked, too (though it was long enough for my kids). I really wanted to photograph the unfinished church (just saw it from the van) and stop at the sea glass beach (it was pointed out to us but no stop). If you are going to do the ferry to St. George on Day 2 with stops in town and then the fort and beaches, then you are probably going to have substantial overlap with your tour. You might truly be able to skip it and make a trip to the lighthouse and beaches on your own on your first day in town (looks to be open 10:00-4:30 on Sundays). You could disembark, take a cab to the lighthouse and have it come back for you after to drop you at one of the south shore beaches--or in Hamilton if you prefer. Just a thought.

Ahhh my head is spinning. I have under 30 days to decide. :o Truth be told, I have read enough on these boards to have many different options for a good full day on our 2nd day, Monday. So now I am thinking that I will stick to the minibus on Sunday and try to fit in the two churches at our stop in St. George that day. They are a short walk from the center of town from my calculations. Then I will decide what to do on Monday based on what caught our eye. Another option I am now thinking of (crazily) is that we could do the National Museum in the dockyard, take the free NCL ferry to St. George (free boat ride) if available, and then rent scooters to ride to Gibbs lighthouse. And then southshore beach walk. Then Hamilton with the last ferry back from there. I need to research the scooter vendors if I am going to attempt this though.

If the free ferry isn't running we could take the other paid ferry to Hamilton alternatively to save time and then a cab to Gibb's Lighthouse and the Southshore beach walk returning on a bus or shuttle or cab if need be.

Ahhh! ;p

V

Ahhh my head is spinning. I have under 30 days to decide. :o Truth be told, I have read enough on these boards to have many different options for a good full day on our 2nd day, Monday.

So now I am thinking that I will stick to the minibus on Sunday and try to fit in the two churches at our stop in St. George that day. They are a short walk from the center of town from my calculations.

Then I will decide what to do on Monday based on what caught our eye.

Another option I am now thinking of (crazily) is that we could do the National Museum in the dockyard, take the free NCL ferry to St. George (free boat ride) if available, and then rent scooters to ride to Gibbs lighthouse. And then south shore beach walk. Then Hamilton with the last ferry back from there. I need to research the scooter vendors if I am going to attempt this though.

If the free ferry isn't running we could take the other paid ferry to Hamilton alternatively to save time and then a cab to Gibb's Lighthouse and the Southshore beach walk returning on a bus or shuttle or cab if need be.

Ahhh! ;p

Ahhh my head is spinning too, and I'm only reading this.

Now is the mini-bus you write about on day 1 (Sunday) a tour taking you to St George's? Because you follow in the sentence about the 2 churches in SG, St Peter's and the Unfinished Church, and they are both short walks from King's Square.

On day 2, you write that you may take the ferry to SG and rent scooters there and ride to Gibbs L/H. Unless everyone in your group have an extensive motorcycle riding background, I would not recommend renting motor scooters. BTW, Gibbs is at the other end of the island from SG.

After Gibbs and the beach walk, you are visiting Hamilton because.....? From there, you'll return to the Dockyard with your scooters on the ferry. The fare for the scooter is a token ($4.50) unless you pay with a Transportation Pass then it is free.

An alternative you write about is taking the public ferry to Hamilton to save time. Time for what? Then you are taking a cab to Gibbs, but Gibbs is further from Hamilton then it is from the Dockyard. What are your plans for Hamilton?

Maybe I should go back and read all your Bermuda posts to get a better understanding.

SBtS:confused:

Ahhh my head is spinning too, and I'm only reading this.

Now is the mini-bus you write about on day 1 (Sunday) a tour taking you to St George's? Because you follow in the sentence about the 2 churches in SG, St Peter's and the Unfinished Church, and they are both short walks from King's Square.

On day 2, you write that you may take the ferry to SG and rent scooters there and ride to Gibbs L/H. Unless everyone in your group have an extensive motorcycle riding background, I would not recommend renting motor scooters. BTW, Gibbs is at the other end of the island from SG.

After Gibbs and the beach walk, you are visiting Hamilton because.....? From there, you'll return to the Dockyard with your scooters on the ferry. The fare for the scooter is a token ($4.50) unless you pay with a Transportation Pass then it is free.

An alternative you write about is taking the public ferry to Hamilton to save time. Time for what? Then you are taking a cab to Gibbs, but Gibbs is further from Hamilton then it is from the Dockyard. What are your plans for Hamilton?

Maybe I should go back and read all your Bermuda posts to get a better understanding.

SBtS:confused:

Ok so to follow up...

The minibus tour on Sunday will include about a 45 minute stop in St. George to explore on our own. Looking at the walking distances from King's Square, I think we have enough time to view and take a few pics of both St. Peter's Church and the Unfinished Church if we choose. As long as we don't dawdle, I think we will have enough time and that is probably the best use of it.

On day 2, Labour Day, we will tour the National Museum in the dockyard for a couple of hours and then take either the free NCL ferry to St. George (if operating) or the paid ferry to Hamilton. Why, you ask? Because I want to go on an inexpensive ferry boat (free boat is even better) for some water views of Bermuda and because we will be bussing across the island on the other days.

Fyi, it is a myth that the dockyard is closer to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. After researching the route, Hamilton is 10km from the lighthouse while the dockyard is 15km. Also, we will not have a lot of time in Hamilton on the minibus tour and we will probably want to explore the city area more. I am not sure what exactly what yet.

As far as the rental idea goes, I realize the dangers of renting scooters in a different country with narrow roads where traffic drives on the left. We have ridden both dirt bikes and motorcycles before, and my partner had his own motorcycle as well for a number of years. I am perhaps more of a risk taker than the average person, and am willing to take the risk and responsibility seriously. Therefore, we will rent scooters from Oleander cycles in either St. George's or Hamilton. They also have rental shops in 3 other convenient locations including the Dockyard.

We will be free to explore the islands at our own convienience and pace. We plan to go climb Gibbs Hill Lighthouse and visit the South shore beaches among anything else. We can return the scooters at either the Dockyard or South Rd in Southampton Parish if we have already had enough.

Valerie

Ok so to follow up...

The minibus tour on Sunday will include about a 45 minute stop in St. George to explore on our own. Looking at the walking distances from King's Square, I think we have enough time to view and take a few pics of both St. Peter's Church and the Unfinished Church if we choose. As long as we don't dawdle, I think we will have enough time and that is probably the best use of it.

On day 2, Labour Day, we will tour the National Museum in the dockyard for a couple of hours and then take either the free NCL ferry to St. George (if operating) or the paid ferry to Hamilton. Why, you ask? Because I want to go on an inexpensive ferry boat (free boat is even better) for some water views of Bermuda and because we will be bussing across the island on the other days.

Fyi, it is a myth that the dockyard is closer to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse. After researching the route, Hamilton is 10km from the lighthouse while the dockyard is 15km. Also, we will not have a lot of time in Hamilton on the minibus tour and we will probably want to explore the city area more. I am not sure what exactly what yet.

As far as the rental idea goes, I realize the dangers of renting scooters in a different country with narrow roads where traffic drives on the left. We have ridden both dirt bikes and motorcycles before, and my partner had his own motorcycle as well for a number of years. I am perhaps more of a risk taker than the average person, and am willing to take the risk and responsibility seriously. Therefore, we will rent scooters from Oleander cycles in either St. George's or Hamilton. They also have rental shops in 3 other convenient locations including the Dockyard.

We will be free to explore the islands at our own convienience and pace. We plan to go climb Gibbs Hill Lighthouse and visit the South shore beaches among anything else. We can return the scooters at either the Dockyard or South Rd in Southampton Parish if we have already had enough.

Thanks, I'm no longer confused.

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

Please reconsider the scooter rental. You may be a risk taker; however, your lives aren't the only ones at risk. There are many narrow, winding roads and even more natives driving on them. Please.... Think of them.

Sounds like the region I live in. Every day.

Does your region have road carnage every week? Not exaggerating but there are deaths and serious injuries often, almost every week on their roads. I read their press. Are you used to driving on the other side?