Pride

cruzilove

We were on the Star Pride in June. Loved every minute of it! Ok, well not the last night when we had extremely rough seas and had to miss our last dinner! We had a "balcony" room, which you can only stand on, but I enjoyed standing out there and taking pictures as we were coming into a port early in the morning.

The staff was exceptional - from the wait staff, to the room stewards, to the excursion folks, to the front desk - they all seemed to learn our names, coffee preferences, wine preferences within the first day or 2!

The bad? The weight I gained from all the delightful food!

I have been on the Breeze (identical to Pride) and all 3 of the sailing ships.

PRO

-More cabin space with sofa and sitting area. Some have small balconies

-bathtubs (i didn't take a bath, but liked having one as an option)

-Large indoor air conditioned 'yacht club' area

CON

-No sails, which only matters if this is important to you. It is more important to me in the Caribbean, not so much in Europe. it does matter at sail away when I was a bit wistful about watching the sails go up with the 1492 music playing.

- Less outdoor space than the sailing ships and seemed like less shaded outdoor space. It was really hot when I traveled so I noticed this. On other sailings at other times of year, might not be so noticeable

Food, service are the same on all the ships. In future sailings, I will happily do either type of ship although my preference for the Caribbean is a sailing ship and specifically the WindSurf. I have met others who feel the Windsurf is way too big, but to each his own.

Was on the ship for the past week on the cruise around Iceland. Temperature during the day rarely got above 50゚, so being outdoors wasn't particularly important. If I had to search for any kind of negative comment about the ship would be that there are no bedside electrical sockets; I lived. Same for handheld-only shower. A couple of times I was looking for somewhere to go outside my room while we were at-sea, and the options seem to be either the teeny tiny four-chair library, or the Yacht Club lounge, which really wasn't all that large or inviting for a place to hang out for longer than, say, waiting to have the room cleaned.

On the plus side, the staff were terrific! They really get to know you right away, doing their best to make passengers feel at home. Since it was too cold to have a BBQ on deck, it was a buffet line through the kitchen, which you'll need to see for yourself. Food was excellent, with great rotation of offerings. Candles night wasn't so much "better" than the dining room, but made for a different experience.