More Newbie questions

Les Picantins

I am very close to booking my first Viking Ocean cruise and have a few specific questions.

Aft deck 2 - this was mentioned by Roothy123 in a previous post as a salty place for sailaways and it has peaked my curiosity. Can we really be on deck that close to the water while the ship is sailing?

The spa - I have seen many photos and comments about the thermal suite which looks like the perfect place for cocooning on a cold winter day. What I can't find is a spa menu with the actual treatments and prices. Is it a Steiner or Canyon Ranch Spa that are often on cruise ships or is it an independant spa like the Thaï spa on Seadream.

Hosted tables - are invitations sent to passengers to dine with officers on occasion?

Cinema - on the deck plan it shows 2 cinemas next to the theater but I have seen no other mention of movies being aired other than in cabin.

If any of you know the answer to any one of these questions, please be kind enough to answer. It won't get you trivia points, just good karma ;)

I am very close to booking my first Viking Ocean cruise and have a few specific questions.

Aft deck 2 - this was mentioned by Roothy123 in a previous post as a salty place for sailaways and it has peaked my curiosity. Can we really be on deck that close to the water while the ship is sailing?

The spa - I have seen many photos and comments about the thermal suite which looks like the perfect place for cocooning on a cold winter day. What I can't find is a spa menu with the actual treatments and prices. Is it a Steiner or Canyon Ranch Spa that are often on cruise ships or is it an independant spa like the Thaï spa on Seadream.

Hosted tables - are invitations sent to passengers to dine with officers on occasion?

Cinema - on the deck plan it shows 2 cinemas next to the theater but I have seen no other mention of movies being aired other than in cabin.

If any of you know the answer to any one of these questions, please be kind enough to answer. It won't get you trivia points, just good karma ;)

I can answer a couple - the movies are in two places on the ship - in their own small movie area off of the main theater - for what it's worth - we've been on three cruises and never used it . Also at night they offer movies in the main pool area under the stars, with cordless headphones, really nice way to see a movie ! They also include your own bag of popcorn.

I don't remember who runs the spa but it's wonderful and very well run .

You will be well taken care of and will have fond memories of your travels .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Eaches

Here is what is posted under My Viking Journey" for our upcoming cruise:

Swedish Detox Massage

Feel cleansed and restored with this rejuvenating massage, an excellent start – or complement – to a detox.

DURATION: 80 MIN

$189 PER PERSON

Nordic Facial

Our tailor-made facial rejuvenates the skin, slows the signs of aging and gives you a gorgeous glow.

DURATION: 50 MIN

$149 PER PERSON

Nordic Facial

Our tailor-made facial rejuvenates the skin, slows the signs of aging and gives you a gorgeous glow.

$199 PER PERSON

Swedish Mindful Massage

Gentle yet profound, this treatment relaxes your muscles and eases your joints, perfect when you need a serene experience or just want to ease into bliss.

$139 PER PERSON

Swedish Mindful Massage

Gentle yet profound, this treatment relaxes your muscles and eases your joints, perfect when you need a serene experience or just want to ease into bliss.

$189 PER PERSON

Swedish Deep Tissue Massage

Release your tension with this thorough and invigorating deep tissue massage, our most popular.

$139 PER PERSON2x1-image.png

Hydrafacial

Strip away the years with our natural, noninvasive face lift. Our powerful anti-aging treatment rejuvenates and uplifts, leaving your skin hydrated and glowing.

$169 PER PERSON

Hydrafacial

Strip away the years with our natural, noninvasive face lift. Our powerful anti-aging treatment rejuvenates and uplifts, leaving your skin hydrated and glowing.

$239 PER PERSON

Northern Stillness

Inspired by the stillness of the Scandinavian landscape, this restful treatment is a favorite among our guests, and a favorite for our therapists to give.

$209 PER PERSON

Viking Restart

Our Viking Restart Massage is the best way to soothe tired muscles with focused attention and care.

$209 PER PERSON

Arctic Detox

Our Arctic Detox is the best way to banish the swelling, soreness and sluggishness that happens when toxins build up in your body.

DURATION: 110 MIN

$269 PER PERSON

Thank you for the above responses. I've come up with 3 more questions.

Pool area - I'm sure that the retractable roof will be closed for our sailing in January. Is the area heated or does it warm up enough with the greenhouse effect? Is the pool heated?

Mirrors - should I bring my own make-up mirror or is one provided?

Hotman - Karl Eckl was my alltime favorite hotel manager on Seabourn. I have seen that he has moved over to Viking and was the hotman for the Maiden voyage of the Star. Is he still on board?

I sent the ok to my travel agent to book this cruise for us and will be looking forward to discovering a new cruise line and participating on this message board.

Marjorie

Thank you for the above responses. I've come up with 3 more questions.

Pool area - I'm sure that the retractable roof will be closed for our sailing in January. Is the area heated or does it warm up enough with the greenhouse effect? Is the pool heated?

Mirrors - should I bring my own make-up mirror or is one provided?

Hotman - Karl Eckl was my alltime favorite hotel manager on Seabourn. I have seen that he has moved over to Viking and was the hotman for the Maiden voyage of the Star. Is he still on board?

I sent the ok to my travel agent to book this cruise for us and will be looking forward to discovering a new cruise line and participating on this message board.

Marjorie

The inside pool is heated - for the women they have a mirror in the pull up area in desk area and you have to try the tea and pastries at4 pm

The inside pool is heated - for the women they have a mirror in the pull up area in desk area and you have to try the tea and pastries at4 pm

Thanks for the pastries tip. Maybe we'll even be able to call our cruise a business trip since that is our line of work LOL. No, I don't think my accountant will agree. :D

If you need a magnifying mirror, bring your own.

Thanks for this tip. It's difficult enough putting on eyeliner when the ship is moving. Not being able to see a thing only makes the task more complicated.

By the way, is the MDR open for lunch?

Thanks for this tip. It's difficult enough putting on eyeliner when the ship is moving. Not being able to see a thing only makes the task more complicated.

By the way, is the MDR open for lunch?

Only on sea days if at all.

And, the 360 walking track on Deck 2 does not have a forward view, only an aft view. The forward crossing from port to starboard is a tunnel.

Hello! Relative newbie to cruisecritic in general, and also planning/budgeting/saving for Viking Homelands when we are empty nesters (ETA Fall 2020!). We have only done 2 river cruises (2015 Viking Paris to Normandy and 2017 Rhine Getaway) but never an ocean cruise (yet!). I also have a few newbie questions so posted here rather than starting a new thread. My apologies if I haven't gone far back enough if these have already been answered.

1. I am an avid masters swimmer. Would it be ok if I brought my own thether/swim cord and tied it to the ladder of the pools? Or would that be just too weird, some safety hazard, etc? I hear the pools are quite deeps, so I could just do vertical kicking instead.

2. Do people bring their own yoga mats? Or is there some stretch/padded area where it is customary for people to stretch on the floor of the gym/workout areas? I brought my yoga mat on the River cruises and used it in the room with no problem, but it would be nice to free up that space in my luggage.

3. If you go out all day on excursions, what do most people do for lunch? It seems you either buy something on land, or you can discretely take a small amount of food, such as fruit/sandwich and put it in your own plastic baggie?

4. I am having trouble wrapping my head around even 930 vs. 200 people on a river cruise. Most everything i've read/youtube videos show that even at near full capacity on the Viking ocean vessels, it is not too crowded. Is this really accurate? For example, I would like to go to the pool and find a chair anytime I go. It would really bother me to see people piled in like sardines and all chairs gone at each pool. Same thing goes for all public spaces, like dining venues.

5. What else can I be doing to educate myself on ocean cruising - I'm reading many areas of cruisecritic, searched the roll calls specifically Viking Homelands, got the Rick Steve's Northern European Ports book, and signed up for several other cruise lines information to stay informed on pricing. The biggest swing factors, now that i've identified which cruise lines I am considering, is the cruise price, airfare plus all transfers, excursion costs, and gratuities, which seem like the biggest factors. I suppose OBCs as well? We will likely use an experienced TA referred by a fellow cruiser from this last trip.

Thank you for any advice/commentary to these questions!

Homelands is a superb cruise with more on land options than possible to see

1. Don't think that tether would be welcome in the small deep infinity pool

2. mats in the gym area & space suitable for yoga

3. many excursions over lunch will tell you when they provide lunch. If not, do as you suggested. Wife often brings snacks from breakfast. Get stuff from World Cafe buffet.

4. Ocean ship never seemed crowded. Sometimes alone on 2nd floor of Explorer Lounge!!! Lots of lounge chairs facing seaward outside pool area. Lots of lounge chairs around main pool. Only on Sea days would areas seem close to full. The only big crowds were the Wintergarden being full at tea time our first few days. I suspect you needed a British passport for seating.

5. Strongly recommend using your sailing's Roll Call to organize a small private tour of St Petersburg to avoid the crowded large bus tours. We used TJ tours an excellent Mercedes van for an agile, professional, see everything tour experience. The included lunches were a great experience. 14 of us.

Homelands is a superb cruise with more on land options than possible to see

1. Don't think that tether would be welcome in the small deep infinity pool

2. mats in the gym area & space suitable for yoga

3. many excursions over lunch will tell you when they provide lunch. If not, do as you suggested. Wife often brings snacks from breakfast. Get stuff from World Cafe buffet.

4. Ocean ship never seemed crowded. Sometimes alone on 2nd floor of Explorer Lounge!!! Lots of lounge chairs facing seaward outside pool area. Lots of lounge chairs around main pool. Only on Sea days would areas seem close to full. The only big crowds were the Wintergarden being full at tea time our first few days. I suspect you needed a British passport for seating.

5. Strongly recommend using your sailing's Roll Call to organize a small private tour of St Petersburg to avoid the crowded large bus tours. We used TJ tours an excellent Mercedes van for an agile, professional, see everything tour experience. The included lunches were a great experience. 14 of us.

Thank you!

I will not bring a tether/stretch cord. I see the pools aren't very big - so it would be really off-putting to anyone else in the pool. There seems to be plenty of opportunity to do other activities. I saw on a Viking Daily from another sailing that a yoga class was offered - perhaps this will be offered for our sailing! I probably won't bring my yoga mat either! Now that i've freed up space in my luggage - more souveniers! Great feedback on crowded/not crowded times/locations. I'll be prepared and consider a part of the experience on sailing days to meet more people! Maybe plan on tea after a few days instead of the first few days. I hear you loud and clear on St. Petersburg! Seems the way to go is TJ Tours, Alla, and a very few others. Good to know on the food issue. Perhaps safest thing is to not bring anything off the ship and just enjoy a local bite!

Aside from possibly St Petersburg I don't think bringing food is an issue. Mainly because everyone in Europe travels between countries quite seamlessly without any inspection. In any and all cases ALWAYS check your Viking Daily as it tells you if you need a passport or not and a reminder on the local currency.. Mostly not and even where they said you needed it, nobody ever checked, except St Petersburg where customs was a simple under 5 minute wait the 1st day and a waive thru on the 2nd.

Currency Issues:

You'll note some countries use Euros. I always get them from my bank.

I got currencies from AAA (uses Wells Fargo bank) for other countries (Poland, Russia, Scandinavia except Finland which uses Euros) but never really used them except for tour guide & driver tips. The region INCLUDING Russia loves your credit card. And TJ Tours says to tip your guide & driver in US $.

Less pay toilets than continental Europe. All thrip I only had to use a credit card in backcountry Norway to purchase change for one toilet.

Hello! Relative newbie to cruisecritic in general, and also planning/budgeting/saving for Viking Homelands when we are empty nesters (ETA Fall 2020!). We have only done 2 river cruises (2015 Viking Paris to Normandy and 2017 Rhine Getaway) but never an ocean cruise (yet!). I also have a few newbie questions so posted here rather than starting a new thread. My apologies if I haven't gone far back enough if these have already been answered.

1. I am an avid masters swimmer. Would it be ok if I brought my own thether/swim cord and tied it to the ladder of the pools? Or would that be just too weird, some safety hazard, etc? I hear the pools are quite deeps, so I could just do vertical kicking instead.

2. Do people bring their own yoga mats? Or is there some stretch/padded area where it is customary for people to stretch on the floor of the gym/workout areas? I brought my yoga mat on the River cruises and used it in the room with no problem, but it would be nice to free up that space in my luggage.

3. If you go out all day on excursions, what do most people do for lunch? It seems you either buy something on land, or you can discretely take a small amount of food, such as fruit/sandwich and put it in your own plastic baggie?

4. I am having trouble wrapping my head around even 930 vs. 200 people on a river cruise. Most everything i've read/youtube videos show that even at near full capacity on the Viking ocean vessels, it is not too crowded. Is this really accurate? For example, I would like to go to the pool and find a chair anytime I go. It would really bother me to see people piled in like sardines and all chairs gone at each pool. Same thing goes for all public spaces, like dining venues.

5. What else can I be doing to educate myself on ocean cruising - I'm reading many areas of cruisecritic, searched the roll calls specifically Viking Homelands, got the Rick Steve's Northern European Ports book, and signed up for several other cruise lines information to stay informed on pricing. The biggest swing factors, now that i've identified which cruise lines I am considering, is the cruise price, airfare plus all transfers, excursion costs, and gratuities, which seem like the biggest factors. I suppose OBCs as well? We will likely use an experienced TA referred by a fellow cruiser from this last trip.

Thank you for any advice/commentary to these questions!

Arghh, don't know what happened to my reply. Here it goes again.

3. We had our lunches in the town. We love to try real local food. Sometimes we would return with excursion, have a lunch, and go back to the town if we still have time.

4. I had exactly the same thoughts :). The concept of the ship is genius- Viking eliminated all inside cabins in their designs of the ship and created so many cozy spaces that flowing from each other seamlessly. You could see a couple of here or a group of 6 there, 20-40 people in the Atrium (1st Level) listening music. Never ever we felt that we are on the ocean ship. People have different interests and some will relax by the fireplace in Mumsen's, some will have a drink at the forward of Explore lounge and enjoy the scenery, some will play table games on the second level of Atrium or read one of the books that you could find through the ship. I found one that I read in different language and was surprised to find it there on the ship. This one is very emotional reading, not the easy one. Anyway, some people are in the pool, some in sauna, so you can always find a place to be outside of your cabin but be alone if needed. Did I mention several bars?...lol

5. Ask questions. People on this forum helped me tremendously. As for the places you will visit, use historians and lecturers on the ship - wealth of knowledge.

Happy sailing!! :)

Thank you so much everyone!!

I found someone's dropbox (I think it was Char-something) who put in all Viking Dailys among other things (spreadsheet! optional excursion price/timing/grid!). I see what you are all saying!

I watched a youtube of someone giving a roughly 19 minute commentary of Viking hits and misses - excellent reaffirmation of my Can't Stand Crowded Pools pet peeve!

Thank you so much everyone!!

I found someone's dropbox (I think it was Char-something) who put in all Viking Dailys among other things (spreadsheet! optional excursion price/timing/grid!). I see what you are all saying!

I watched a youtube of someone giving a roughly 19 minute commentary of Viking hits and misses - excellent reaffirmation of my Can't Stand Crowded Pools pet peeve!

Just remember that Viking is constantly tweaking things and that what you read on CharTrav's posting of dailies and of shorex excursions is all subject to change.

We brought our lunch ashore in St Petersburg. It was suggested by our Alla guide (6 of us for a private tour). We could have eaten in a small local restaurant as we did the first day of our tour, but she suggested that if we wanted more time at the sights to bring lunch from the ship that we could eat in the van and we did. Had some ziplocs and got meat cheese and rolls from the World Cafe that morning. I think somebody ordered room service sandwich. We had been hoarding our chips from our minibar so brought enough for everyone. Also got cookies from deck 1 bar. Of course there is water at the gangway. Nobody mentioned cross contamination.

Just remember that Viking is constantly tweaking things and that what you read on CharTrav's posting of dailies and of shorex excursions is all subject to change.

Yes-if you're referring to the consolidated ShoreEx info I did for Viking Homelands inc prices and the Dailies - that was from 2016. If you're referring to the similar product I prepared for the Central America Panama cruise for the 2016-17 cruise season, I actually think the excursion offerings have stabilized but accept that they still may change but not after the excursion booking window opens for those doing the 12 November sailing.

Sent from my iPad using Forums