Which hotels does Viking use in Barcelona and Rome

TravelDad

Hi, we're booked on the Christmas cruise. We have booked two nights in Barcelona and Rome. Can anyone tell me the hotels Viking uses in these ports? Thanks

I can't speak for Rome, but when I talked to a Viking Representative a couple of days ago about booking a single extra night in Barcelona (Viking only has a 2 night extension package), he gave me the name of 2 hotels that they use: the previously cited Renaissance Barcelona and the NH Calderon - Barcelona. I hope this helps.

Edited by Senior Gators

Keep in mind that Viking Oceans has been in Barcelona only once since it started, and has not been in Rome for embarkation at all. The time the Star did stop in Rome, it was just a port. So in Rome, so far, Oceans has not used any hotel. And it's only been in Barcelona once for embarkation / disembarkation, so has only used one hotel so far. That why previous cruises don't have many answers for you, unfortunately.

• 2 years later...

Can you please share what was Christmas and New Years like on the ship? Also the port you stopped at for Christmas, was any thing open? Did they still do some kind of tour ? My daughter and I are on the Sky for the Barcelona to Barcelona Christmas 2018

Thank you!

Keep in mind that Viking Oceans has been in Barcelona only once since it started, and has not been in Rome for embarkation at all. The time the Star did stop in Rome, it was just a port. So in Rome, so far, Oceans has not used any hotel. And it's only been in Barcelona once for embarkation / disembarkation, so has only used one hotel so far. That why previous cruises don't have many answers for you, unfortunately.

Say what? MANY Viking Ocean cruises over the last few years have embarked/disembarked in Barcelona & Rome.

Can you please share what was Christmas and New Years like on the ship? Also the port you stopped at for Christmas, was any thing open? Did they still do some kind of tour ? My daughter and I are on the Sky for the Barcelona to Barcelona Christmas 2018

Thank you!

Viking is constantly tweaking things so what people experienced two Christmases ago may not be how things are now being handled.

On Christmas Day, most museums and shopping will be closed. Most restaurants and bars will be open. I know that in 2016/17, the Sea was scheduled for a sea day on New Year's Day. However, the best laid plans of mice and men... and we were actually in Barcelona on January 1 and Viking was offering a full schedule of tours that day. The holidays in 2017/18 will be different because as the itineraries are designed now, there are no sea days. In 2017, Viking will be in Sardinia on Christmas Day and Monte Carlo on New Year's Day.

Just booked the post extension for Barcelona for April 10 , 2018.

The Hotel is Hilton Barcelona. It is a short distance from the Las Ramblas area but it will be fine.

Nearby metro stop , local shopping and restaurants.

Just booked the post extension for Barcelona for April 10 , 2018.

The Hotel is Hilton Barcelona. It is a short distance from the Las Ramblas area but it will be fine.

Nearby metro stop , local shopping and restaurants.

Hilton Barcelona on Avinguida Diagonal is actually a haul (4km -45 min walking and 15 by cab) to Placa Catalunya, at the top of Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter. You may want to save exploring the Las Ramblas area and the Gothic Quarter for after you have embarked as they will be much closer to the ship than to the hotel.

Hilton Barcelona on Avinguida Diagonal is actually a haul (4km -45 min walking and 15 by cab) to Placa Catalunya, at the top of Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter. You may want to save exploring the Las Ramblas area and the Gothic Quarter for after you have embarked as they will be much closer to the ship than to the hotel.

No problem we will take taxis or metro to get to Gothic area. I have been to Barcelona twice. My friend's first time, so she will plan these two days of sightseeing after our cruise. All I want to do is eat dinner on the Placa Real at one of my favorite cafes.

No problem we will take taxis or metro to get to Gothic area. I have been to Barcelona twice. My friend's first time, so she will plan these two days of sightseeing after our cruise. All I want to do is eat dinner on the Placa Real at one of my favorite cafes.

Placa Real is wall to wall cafes. We start in Barcelona and need a place to stop that isn't one of the tourist traps on Las Ramblas, so which one is your favorite and we'll give it a try?