Can we stay overnight in the city when its an overnight port?

HaveDogWillTravel

We are taking our first Viking ocean cruise for Christmas 2018 Rome to Rome.

We have overnight ports in Barcelona and Florence. I'd like to avoid going back and forth to the ship by renting a room in the heart of the historic centers for the night.

I can't seem to find any information on this.

Does Viking have a policy about having to return to the ship each night?

Thank you in advance.

We are taking our first Viking ocean cruise for Christmas 2018 Rome to Rome.

We have overnight ports in Barcelona and Florence. I'd like to avoid going back and forth to the ship by renting a room in the heart of the historic centers for the night.

I can't seem to find any information on this.

Does Viking have a policy about having to return to the ship each night?

Thank you in advance.

In Barcelona, you do not need to waste the money staying overnight in a hotel. The dock is downtown, a short cab ride from most of the places that you would want to visit (you won't spend as much in cabfares as you would for a night in a hotel). The only place you might want to consider an overnight is Florence because it is a 90 minute train ride. If you haven't spent time in Rome before, consider extending you stay before or after or both (easy enough to do on your own).

In Barcelona, you do not need to waste the money staying overnight in a hotel. The dock is downtown, a short cab ride from most of the places that you would want to visit (you won't spend as much in cabfares as you would for a night in a hotel). The only place you might want to consider an overnight is Florence because it is a 90 minute train ride. If you haven't spent time in Rome before, consider extending you stay before or after or both (easy enough to do on your own).

Nice to know about Barcelona. I have been to both Florence and Rome but my DH has not. We are going to have 3 extra nights in Rome before the cruise and I am thinking even though it is a waste of money I would stay the first night of the cruise in the Rome hotel for a total of 4 nights. I will ask VIking about not checking in until day 2 when I call.

Florence is going to be tight even staying overnight in town, there are 3 must sees for me.

I guess it isn't a very popular thing to do....staying in town instead of going back to the ship.

Thank you for the reply.

Nice to know about Barcelona. I have been to both Florence and Rome but my DH has not. We are going to have 3 extra nights in Rome before the cruise and I am thinking even though it is a waste of money I would stay the first night of the cruise in the Rome hotel for a total of 4 nights. I will ask VIking about not checking in until day 2 when I call.

Florence is going to be tight even staying overnight in town, there are 3 must sees for me.

I guess it isn't a very popular thing to do....staying in town instead of going back to the ship.

Thank you for the reply.

There are so many cliches I could throw out at this point: It's just money. Penny-wise and pound-foolish. You only live once. You get my drift. If Viking is willing to let you check in on Day 2, then I say, "Go for it!" That extra day in Rome will make a real difference in how much you can see.

We're doing the same cruise Barcelona to Barcelona and I never thought of staying overnight in Florence. Maybe because we both have been to Florence and want to try to see someplace new as well (after we spend a day in Florence at the Uffizzi and doing some shopping). Now you have me giving thought to staying over in Florence and then moving on to Lucca the next morning. Only downside is having to carry our overnight stuff and our shopping around with us all day in Lucca. Hmmm. Yes, gonna think about this some more.

There are so many cliches I could throw out at this point: It's just money. Penny-wise and pound-foolish. You only live once. You get my drift. If Viking is willing to let you check in on Day 2, then I say, "Go for it!" That extra day in Rome will make a real difference in how much you can see.

We're doing the same cruise Barcelona to Barcelona and I never thought of staying overnight in Florence. Maybe because we both have been to Florence and want to try to see someplace new as well (after we spend a day in Florence at the Uffizzi and doing some shopping). Now you have me giving thought to staying over in Florence and then moving on to Lucca the next morning. Only downside is having to carry our overnight stuff and our shopping around with us all day in Lucca. Hmmm. Yes, gonna think about this some more.

Have you been to the Medici Chapel? I was so moved...so utterly astounded ......so mesmerized..... I sat in silence for an hour just absorbing it all. I couldn't believe no one else was there. It will probably never happen again like that but I am so grateful that I had that experience. I'm hoping if we stay over I can take DH early and maybe have that quiet, retrospective, meditative time in there.

Of course the Academia, Uffizzi, Michelangelo Plaza, The Pitti Palace..... are also great.

Have you been to the Medici Chapel? I was so moved...so utterly astounded ......so mesmerized..... I sat in silence for an hour just absorbing it all. I couldn't believe no one else was there. It will probably never happen again like that but I am so grateful that I had that experience. I'm hoping if we stay over I can take DH early and maybe have that quiet, retrospective, meditative time in there.

Of course the Academia, Uffizzi, Michelangelo Plaza, The Pitti Palace..... are also great.

My daughter did her junior year in Florence and we went to visit her. The only place on your list we haven't seen is the Pitti Palace. In Rome, we hope to hit a few places that we haven't seen before--unless we decide to spent our time closer to Civitavecchia seeing the Etruscan ruins in Tarquinia and the ancient Roman port city of Ostia.