sitka vs skagway

bucsfan100

I think Skagway would provide entertainment over a wider range of ages.

I don't think you understand the Alaska Pioneer Homes. The minimum level of housing is $2500/month.

http://dhss.alaska.gov/daph/Pages/sitka/default.aspx

LEtue,

And the first building you see as you are tendering off the ship is not a hotel or a hospital, but a Home for Pioneers that found themselves penniless after a fruitless search for gold, that is still in operation today for the homeless and penniless. I was truly amazed in this modern day when other bigger cities can't find a way to help their homeless that a tiny little town like Sitka can manage to keep such a large home open and operating.

I like both but prefer sitka over Skagway . however after 10+ Alaska cruises its hard to say if the rationale for that choice would just be because I have only been to sitka twice and Skagway a lot more.

I would choose based on what people want to do in port- from 6-67 thats a wide range- go thru shore excursion options and see what preferences are.

we didn't use this company

http://www.gallantadventures.com/stlazaria.html

but loved sitka and boat tour similar to pics on link above . we went on fishing, and out to St lazaria island to see the puffins, also saw whales, otters. great day.

was not impressed with the bears fortress and wanted my time back.

town is cute.

raptor center was nice to occupy a time vacancy but I would not go to Sitka solely for just the raptor center. we walked back thru the park and that was nice- I think salmon were running but I understand that pathway may be closed.

We were on Royal Caribbean in May and stopped in Sitka and Skagway. Both are interesting, but there are probably more options for the wide age range of your group in Skagway.

Also, we docked at Sitka rather than tendering as some have mentioned. Most ships at Sitka now dock at the Old Sitka Dock. It is about 6 miles from town and shuttle buses run every 10-15 minutes to town and back to the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think Skagway would provide entertainment over a wider range of ages.

I don't think you understand the Alaska Pioneer Homes. The minimum level of housing is $2500/month.

http://dhss.alaska.gov/daph/Pages/sitka/default.aspx

That's too bad, I was misinformed by the bus driver, that the Alaska Pioneer Home in Sitka took in the homeless and broke. Looks like that was how it started, but over time has changed drastically. Thanks for the link, it was interesting reading.