Newbie Advice

tmee

Hello all,

I need some advice and insight. I have booked my first Azamara sailing several months ago. But now I am having second thoughts. So I would really appreciate some information from you veterans :)or those “in the know” so that I can be fully prepared about the product I willr eceive. I have booked the line because I wanted to try another line (I have sailed most of the other main stream lines as well as Azamara's sister lines) to explore the possibilities.

These are my “concerns.” :D

I am currently booked as a solo passenger, so based on the marketing materials it appears as most guest are in pairs :)…and a bit older than I, so I am wondering a ship this size works on a solo level? Dining, how exactly does thiswork if one is traveling solo?

Small ship size and activities. I am very used to sailing on a much largership and having planned activities and lectures and well…I wonder what is there to do on sea days? I certainly do not mind enjoying the ocean, but I just wondered what else is there to do? Are there places to “discover” onboard?

What else would you tell a newbie, solo, slightly younger demographic to expect.

Thank all of you so much for your help in advance!

tmee

Edited by tmee
oh the formatting... the FORMATTING!!! sigh :)

I wouldn't be too apprehensive. There were some organized activities on sea days (not like on the mainstream lines with larger ships, of course), and if I recall from the daily Pursuits, on many evenings there was a "meet up" for single cruisers that wished to dine together.

I was "semi solo" in that my husband was golfing on most of the port days. I dined alone for most lunches, and also booked one of the excursions as a single.

If you haven't signed up for your roll call, I'd do that, and then attend the Meet & Mingle if there is one. That helped a lot with my status as "semi solo," because right off the bat I "knew" people. And with the ship's size, I often ran into Roll Call members that invited me to sit with them for a meal or drink.

There are plenty of sharing tables at dinner. the second night is a singles dinner. some hang together. i never go to them as to early to eat.

there is trivia and bingo daily .neither i do.. i enjoy the pool, my cabin and different bars with live music from 6 or so on.

Hello all,

I need some advice and insight. I have booked my first Azamara sailing several months ago. But now I am having second thoughts. So I would really appreciate some information from you veterans :)or those “in the know” so that I can be fully prepared about the product I willr eceive. I have booked the line because I wanted to try another line (I have sailed most of the other main stream lines as well as Azamara's sister lines) to explore the possibilities.

These are my “concerns.” :D

I am currently booked as a solo passenger, so based on the marketing materials it appears as most guest are in pairs :)…and a bit older than I, so I am wondering a ship this size works on a solo level? Dining, how exactly does thiswork if one is traveling solo?

Small ship size and activities. I am very used to sailing on a much largership and having planned activities and lectures and well…I wonder what is there to do on sea days? I certainly do not mind enjoying the ocean, but I just wondered what else is there to do? Are there places to “discover” onboard?

What else would you tell a newbie, solo, slightly younger demographic to expect.

Thank all of you so much for your help in advance!

tmee

We have sailed several times on Azamara and we have 2 cruises scheduled so we obviously like Azamara. You did not state in your post how old you are but I am guessing that you might be younger than the average crowd on Azamara. There will be younger people on board however.

I do think that your worries about things to do on board and places to discover may have some validity. Remember that the ships hold only 690 passengers and are smaller than most current ships. They do have very good lecturers and other things to do but they are limited by the limited number of venues available for these activities. Also, there are fewer specialty restaurants than the larger ships. This does not bother us but you do need to be aware of it.

The smaller size of the ships also means that there will be fewer places to discover. This is a plus to us as we dislike the larger ships but it is a factor to consider.

Don't want to scare you off but I also want to be honest.

DON

We enjoyed Trivia on Azamara much more than on the other cruise lines we have sailed, because it is a friendly affair. The regular trivia sessions get different attendance each time, but people group up in teams. The progressive trivia is a little more structured because each team's points carry over throughout the cruise. But you would always be welcome on a team. First, many couples split up and only one attends the trivia, so you wouldn't stand out as a single. Second, many of the questions probed knowledge that was a little too current for the average-age passengers, so a younger person would bring a very valuable perspective to the team.

The other aspects of Azamara entertainment are definitely different from mainstream cruise lines. Few Vegas-type shows (stage is too small for acrobatics) but good light-classical artists. Excellent enrichment lectures. If you chart the trend from Royal Caribbean to Celebrity, just go one step further to get an idea of Azamara onboard activities.

There are plenty of sharing tables at dinner. the second night is a singles dinner. some hang together. i never go to them as to early to eat.

there is trivia and bingo daily .neither i do.. i enjoy the pool, my cabin and different bars with live music from 6 or so on.

Robin,

For the first time on our Quest cruise last week I noticed they offered unhosted tables for singles at 6.30 and 8.30. Much more sensible for those touring for the day or those who prefer to eat a little later.

Btw, if you are at home you are up very early this morning Robin😄

Hi,

As a solo traveler, I have done 11 Azamara and two Celebrity cruises, plus many more as couple or familiy member. I have surely enjoyed the Azamara more as a solo for the main reason that you meet more people. That sounds counterintuative, but with a smaller ship you run into more people. On a large ship with large venues you only ocassionaly may see that new "cruise friend" a second or third time. On Azamara you will see them way more often.

As mentioned, there is a hosted solo travelers dinner (including possible solos attached to larger family groups), most often on the first night. I regularly go to them and there have been between 5-18 solo travelers. So right there you meet people. Every night those solos are free to meet at 6:30, or 8:30 to meet up for MDR for dinner. Or you can go to the other venues and meet up with other friends. I often see the solos at lunch or excursions too. I also meet tons of passengers at the three daily trivias, the enrichment lectures and the evening entertainment. There is plenty to do on sea days. Progressive trivia is only on longer repositioning cruises.

As also mentioned join you roll call to be included in independent excursions, I have met so many nice travelers.

You don't say your age, but I think the avg. is 55 (+/- depends on cruise) younger on summer cruises and older on longer cruises. Passengers are generally well educated, well traveled and fun.

Robin,

For the first time on our Quest cruise last week I noticed they offered unhosted tables for singles at 6.30 and 8.30. Much more sensible for those touring for the day or those who prefer to eat a little later.

Btw, if you are at home you are up very early this morning Robin😄

I notice that on JR this summer- but only if i read the dailys. another single comment in writing not enough for singles so the dinners showed up second cruise not first cruise.

I went to sleep about 3 or 330. not tired. my Cc never updated time changes and it says an hour earlier than it is.

It was on the New Orleans/Caribbean cruise last year too.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just did two B2B this summer with 5 sea days and neither had the team trivia at 1215. missed it.

It was on the New Orleans/Caribbean cruise last year too.

Great..I love progressive trivia. I think it is driven by the staff's willingness to take on a rather large task. On several cruises (2016 Singapore to Sydney, and the 2017 Norwegian Fiord) they offered the inferior (and less well-attended) battle of the sexs as a poor substitute. The ladies won both battles. More progressive trivia!

Great..I love progressive trivia. I think it is driven by the staff's willingness to take on a rather large task. On several cruises (2016 Singapore to Sydney, and the 2017 Norwegian Fiord) they offered the inferior (and less well-attended) battle of the sexs as a poor substitute. The ladies won both battles. More progressive trivia!

It was especially great because my team won, and the prizes were really very nice!

I hope the OP doesn't mind me adding a couple of questions here. I'm a newbie to AZ as well, so this seemed like the most appropriate place to pose these. We've most often cruised the luxury lines. If you ask in advance, they will make you anything you request for dinner. We had read that Luminae would make you something else on the spot if you didn't like the menu offerings (but we loved the food on our last Celebrity cruise so didn't ask). Will they take special requests in advance or on the fly on AZ if we find the food to be lacking?

I've read the tonic served on board is awful, but I can bring on my own. I am having a hard time imagining bringing my own tonic with me from my cabin each time I want a gin and tonic. Do I just leave it with one of the bar tenders? Or schlep it around with me? On the other lines we've cruised, if you let them know you wanted another brand of something, they'd find it if at all possible and have it for you. I don't consider myself to be picky on this subject, but keep reading that the tonic used onboard is an offense to gin.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Susan

Susan, Indeed the Royal tonic onboard is an offense to Gin! One of the lovely bartenders did recommend the low calorie Canada Dry tonic as they had a few bottles left but this was almost as bad as Royal tonic. When I was on Quest two weeks ago I dropped into El Corte Ingles food hall in Palma to buy some Fevertree tonic. It makes all the difference to your G&T.

They would certainly keep it for you in your favourite bar onboard, but make sure it is labelled for you otherwise someone else with taste will nab it!

On the other lines we've cruised, if you let them know you wanted another brand of something, they'd find it if at all possible and have it for you.

I think that's the difference between the true luxury lines (like Crystal, which will try to make sure the ship is stocked with whatever you request in advance) and the super-premium or near-luxury lines like Azamara. Azamara sets a pretty high standard, but it's hard to get beyond their 'standard' offerings. This is going to start to hurt them, now that their prices are comparable to some of those luxury lines.

Susan, Indeed the Royal tonic onboard is an offense to Gin! One of the lovely bartenders did recommend the low calorie Canada Dry tonic as they had a few bottles left but this was almost as bad as Royal tonic. When I was on Quest two weeks ago I dropped into El Corte Ingles food hall in Palma to buy some Fevertree tonic. It makes all the difference to your G&T.

They would certainly keep it for you in your favourite bar onboard, but make sure it is labelled for you otherwise someone else with taste will nab it!

Tonight we did a comparative tasting of Fevertree and Fentimans tonics (with Tanqueray and lemon for those who are interested). We found the Fentimans to be slightly less sweet than the Fevertree and the Fentimans was just our preferred mixer (though either are perfectly acceptable).

It seems to me to be an unnecessary embuggerance for me to have to ask 'which tonic' and for the bar tender to need to reply. A catch of the eye and a little wave of the empty G&T glass should be sufficient!:D

Tonight we did a comparative tasting of Fevertree and Fentimans tonics (with Tanqueray and lemon for those who are interested). We found the Fentimans to be slightly less sweet than the Fevertree and the Fentimans was just our preferred mixer (though either are perfectly acceptable).

It seems to me to be an unnecessary embuggerance for me to have to ask 'which tonic' and for the bar tender to need to reply. A catch of the eye and a little wave of the empty G&T glass should be sufficient!:D

Steve, my tastes are just the other way around. Just had a Caorunn gin with Fevertree Mediterranean tonic and a slice of lime. I find Fentiman's perfectly acceptable but I just slightly prefer Fevertree.

In the interests of true research though I feel I must try another, just to be sure you understand. :D

Hi again OP here. I just wanted to thank all of you for your insight and honesty. It has given me a lot to think about.

The smallest ship have sailed on was the Viking Serenade (I think that was also my first solo cruise :) ) I remember it feeling small.

So I am realizing I should think about Azamara more like an extra, extra large yacht or a nice small hotel/resort that happens to be traveling through the water :)

I do like live music, so it is nice to hear that there are musicians playing. Trivia is fun. And

I am all about informative, quality lectures :D

I have another question about dining, can one opt to dine at a table solo in addition to the option of sharing?

tmee

Steve, my tastes are just the other way around. Just had a Caorunn gin with Fevertree Mediterranean tonic and a slice of lime. I find Fentiman's perfectly acceptable but I just slightly prefer Fevertree.

In the interests of true research though I feel I must try another, just to be sure you understand. :D

Our taste tests were with the Indian tonics (lime would have been preferable but we had run out(n)) - keep up the valuable research though - we are:D.

Thanks for the intel on AZ. And I'll have to try Fentimen's. My favorite is a Fevertree (naturally light is fine) with St. George's Terroir gin. No lime needed. An herbaceous delight.

How about the special orders in the MDR? We've only done it once on RSSC, when a large group we had met on CC were all doing a special request dinner. But it is nice to know it is an option.

Hi again OP here. I just wanted to thank all of you for your insight and honesty. It has given me a lot to think about.

The smallest ship have sailed on was the Viking Serenade (I think that was also my first solo cruise :) ) I remember it feeling small.

So I am realizing I should think about Azamara more like an extra, extra large yacht or a nice small hotel/resort that happens to be traveling through the water :)

I do like live music, so it is nice to hear that there are musicians playing. Trivia is fun. And

I am all about informative, quality lectures :D

I have another question about dining, can one opt to dine at a table solo in addition to the option of sharing?

tmee

I don't see why not. I was seated solo in Discoveries for breakfast and lunch, so I can't imagine dinner would be any different.