Desperately seeking help for seasickness advice!

cruiserfromalabama

Tell them to get sea bands. They are pressure point bracelets that you can get from any drug store. People say they work great. I don't get seasick so I don't know. Also they can try gingersnap cookies, ginger candy or ginger ale. Anything with ginger in it helps. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

First, DW has motion sickness issues. She takes a bonine the morning we fly and every morning of the cruise. She has not a motion sickness problem since she started doing that.

Second, We had a friend that was afraid to go out on the ocean on a "boat". I tried to tell her how big the "ship" was but she couldn't grasp it. This is kind of nerdy but here's what I did. We were going to sail on Jewel of the Seas. Jewel is 962' long. I went on Google Earth. They have a measuring tool. I zoomed in on her house and then measured 962' down her street. I then had her go outside and walk to her neighbor's house 9 doors down which is 960' away. I explained that that distance is the length of the ship. That was enough to convince her how big the ship was.

If he goes to the doctor he is very likely going to be suggested to use the patch. The patch can have some extremely serious side effects and apparently it is considered to be a drug used as a truth serum and in the warning pamphlet it tells you to only use it around people you trust! How weird is that?

e app

I find this a very simplistic statement, with a serious slant, of perhaps, not bothering to consult your health care provider since this is likely, all you are going to get. Which is very inaccurate. Trans Derm Scop, has many excellent properties that benefits out weight the risks for some people. Also it may be focused on the first generation of this drug which was taken off the market and reformulated, which reduced side effects. There are multiple script options, this is NOT the only one or "likely" from any provider who does their job.

Here is my problem! My husband and I are seasoned travelers on land and sea, but my sister and her husband are not! We want them to take an Alaska land/cruise tour with us in early June 2018 and my brother-in-law is deathly scared he will get seasick! I do not think he realizes how large cruise ships are and that most people don't have seasick problems. I do understand that some people do get seasick, but I need advice to help him through his fears! He has glaucoma and can not use a patch, but I don't honestly think he would need a patch anyway. Since I have never been on a cruise in Alaska, am I wrong to believe that it is very gentle cruising. We would be cruising inside southbound from Anchorage to Vancouver with only sea day being last day. Please give me info so I can help him with his fears! Anyone out there have any issues with seasickness on Alaska cruises?

We did a Vancouver RT in July and had fairly calm waters and didn't get sick at all. There was one day while out at sea on this Alaska cruise where I felt a bit of motion and took a Bonine just in case but no one else in my family needed any. I do tend to get sea sick on fishing and scuba trips on smaller ships if I don't take Bonine but have generally done well on large cruise ships (with the exception of one Caribbean cruise with unusually rough seas where the motion was so bad that the drawers and cabinet doors in our cabin were opening and closing). If your brother in law hasn't spent much time on the water in the past it's hard to predict how he will feel. I agree with the others that your brother in law should talk to his doctor about what options would be best for him in light of any health issues he may have so that he goes prepared for the worst and hopefully won't need any of the meds. I usually travel with Sea Bands, Bonine, and will drink ginger ale if the seas seem to look like they might be getting a little rough. Keep in mind that Alaska excursions include options like helicopter and floatplane rides, salmon fishing and whale watching trips, etc, that could make some people feel motion sickness so you might want to consider bringing some of the over the counter remedies for your family just in case.

Alaska is so beautiful and one of our favorite family vacations. I hope you have a wonderful time there with your family!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We just got back from Alaska last weekend, RT out of Seattle. I'm hoping to post a trip report soon (which will include a discussion about seasickness), but wanted to respond to your post, as I am a person who gets motion sickness very easily.

I wanted to echo the advice on having your brother-in-law talk to his medical professional. Also, keep in mind that every person's experience is going to be different, even on the same cruise.( My husband swears he can't even feel the motion of the ship, when others are seasick around him!) Finally, the same person can have different experiences under different conditions.

I'm happy to report that I didn't get seasick on my cruise, but in full disclosure mode, we had great weather and calm seas. That being said, I did talk to several people who had gotten very sick on the first at sea day as we were traveling on open seas on our route to Juneau.

Here are the precautions that I took that helped my experience:

1) Booked a balcony cabin mid-ship. When I went on a cruise to Mexico several years ago, I did get seasick, and I found that having quick access to the fresh air on a balcony helped ease my queasiness. We had a balcony mid-ship on the Caribe deck and definitely felt less motion than when we were dining in the aft dining room.

2) Relief Band. This worked for me, not only on the ship, but on a pretty bumpy float plane flight seeing trip over the Misty Fjords. I had used this before with some success, but it was put to the test on this trip. (Surprisingly, I only used one battery the entire cruise, even though I kept it on at all times when we were at sea, and I made sure to reapply the contact gel regularly.) You can increase the voltage as needed, on a scale from 1 to 5, I believe. When I started to feel queasy, I just turned the knob, and almost immediately felt better.

Things that work for other people but weren't the best choice for me:

3) non-drowsy Bonine/Dramamine: These have helped me in the past with my motion sickness, but even the non-drowsy versions make me pretty sleepy. I took one pill mid-way through my float plane trip when it started to get a little rough, but because I took it too late, it only kicked in after we got back to the ship, where I had a nice, long nap!

Many of the passengers I spoke with said that they had no drowsy effects from the meds, so it all depends not the person.

4) Scopolamine patch: I tried this on my first cruise, and after a few days suffered from blurred vision. It also left a metallic taste in my mouth.

Again, I saw a lot of passengers wearing this patch, and the few I asked were very happy with it, and said they had no side effects. (It may be that I had an earlier generation of this medication. Also, I am very sensitive to any kind of medication.)

5) Sea bands: the pressure bands just didn't work for me, but others swear by them.

6) Ginger candy: I couldn't get past the taste of the candy, which made me feel a little nauseous.

In addition to the Relief Band, I found that it really helps for me to have a full stomach, which is not at all difficult on a cruise! I always carried crackers in my purse on excursions just in case I started to feel a little queasy. Drinking a carbonated drink like Pepsi helps me as well.

If your brother-in-law decides to take this cruise, it might help him feel more prepared if he brings a variety of remedies. Hope he is able to join you! Alaska was breathtaking!

I find this a very simplistic statement, with a serious slant, of perhaps, not bothering to consult your health care provider since this is likely, all you are going to get. Which is very inaccurate. Trans Derm Scop, has many excellent properties that benefits out weight the risks for some people. Also it may be focused on the first generation of this drug which was taken off the market and reformulated, which reduced side effects. There are multiple script options, this is NOT the only one or "likely" from any provider who does their job.

The OP had also stated that he has glaucoma and the patch is not an option

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Motion-eaze is a vial of oils. You put a drop behind each ear. No medicine involved, only natural oils. This is the best solution I have found. No prescription, no medication involved, no strong smell.

Rubbing a substance on the skin is medicating oneself.

In fact the Motioneaze website mentions that the substance will be absorbed within 10 minutes. According to the web site it contains Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Chamomile, Myrrh and Ylang-Ylang so anyone sensitive or allergic to any of these substances should probably avoid the product.

I get motion sickness. I haven't been to AK yet, but I have been on several Caribbean cruises. I take Over the counter meclizine from the pharmacy (generic Bonine, way cheaper) and have not had any problems cruising. I start taking it 2-3 days before getting on the ship to get it in my system. I take it before bed so any sleepiness happens while I'm already in bed.

I do this too. I start about 3 days before and I have never had any issues. We have our first Alaska cruise coming up in July but the rest of our cruises have been in the Caribbean.

Rubbing a substance on the skin is medicating oneself.

In fact the Motioneaze website mentions that the substance will be absorbed within 10 minutes. According to the web site it contains Lavender, Peppermint, Frankincense, Chamomile, Myrrh and Ylang-Ylang so anyone sensitive or allergic to any of these substances should probably avoid the product.

I would assume that folks would check out the ingredients prior to purchase. And as for you correcting my "medicine" error, thanks. I meant prescription medication.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't get motion sickness, but I'm anxious that I may if our upcoming end-of-the-season cruise has some rough seas, so being the anxious person I am, I'm going to buy the Relief Band.

We're going with my brother and sister in law and the SIL is very prone to motion sickness. I recommended the Relief Band to her a few months ago because a coworker recommended it. It's completely changed her travel experiences and now feels a lot better about the cruise.

We also are took other precautions like booking mini suite with balconies in mid ship (Coral Princess) and booking a round trip inside passage cruise.