Icy Strait Point Whale Watching-FISHES or Teckk?

khank

Ok, so I had made the decision to do the whale watching with FISHES in Icy Strait Point next year, and then I saw the 2-for-1 coupon for Teckk Outfitters in the 2011 Toursaver coupon book. I've read great reviews on both companies on Trip Advisor; however, most of Teckk's reviews are for the bear tours. I'm more than willing to pay the full cost and go with FISHES, but in looking at both vendor's websites, it does appear that the tours are very similar, carry the same number of people and go to the same location. So now I'm wondering if I should save a little money and book with Teckk to use the 2-for-1 coupon - of course I'd first verify with them that I can use the coupon. Has anyone done the whale watching with them? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Karen

Ok, so I had made the decision to do the whale watching with FISHES in Icy Strait Point next year, and then I saw the 2-for-1 coupon for Teckk Outfitters in the 2011 Toursaver coupon book. I've read great reviews on both companies on Trip Advisor; however, most of Teckk's reviews are for the bear tours. I'm more than willing to pay the full cost and go with FISHES, but in looking at both vendor's websites, it does appear that the tours are very similar, carry the same number of people and go to the same location. So now I'm wondering if I should save a little money and book with Teckk to use the 2-for-1 coupon - of course I'd first verify with them that I can use the coupon. Has anyone done the whale watching with them? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Karen

Yes, we have gone with both of them, in different years. You are absolutely right. They are very similar. With both you get nice people, same size boats, they take you to see the same whales, pick you up at same place right by Icy Strait Point. Either would be fine. If I had a 2-for-1 coupon, I would try to use it.

I wonder if Teckk is doing a toursaver coupon to drum up more business.

I have read multiple accounts of negative incidents with Teckk. Since a couple of posters called me on it, I ended up keeping a list of what I found. For what it's worth, here it is.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1100519 – post #8

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1050358 – post #7

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=591197&highlight=teckk – post #19

Teckk canceled a tour with just one person?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1050358

another recent thread that links to the above thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1118766

If it were *me* I would seriously consider the negative comments before booking with them. At least go in with eyes wide open.

I have looked and have found nothing negative about FISHES.

Edited by frugaltravel

While I can't comment on Teckk, I can tell you that we have taken two whale watching excursions with Floyd (F.I.S.H.E.S.) -- the third one coming up in May of 2011. We love the small boat experience and Floyd does a very good job of ensuring all his passengers have a good time. The last two times we saw some incredible whale sightings, we are hoping for the same/or better next year.

Whichever company you choose, hope you have an enjoyable experience.

Karen

Unlike Frugaltravel who has never used TECKK, we have been on a whale watch, bear search and fishing with TECKK Outfitters! Have always had a marvelous time with them. We've caught halibut and salmon, seen lots of bears and whales came so close to the boat you could almost reach out and touch! Keith and Edna are super people and life long natives of Hoonah! Choose whoever you want, but you are going to see the same whales in the same area at the same time as all the other whale watches out of Hoonah. If it was ME I would choose to save with the Toursaver coupon. Wow, I didn't know they were doing the coupons this year, what a great idea!

Thank you to everyone for the advice. After weighing everything, I went ahead and booked with FISHES. I'm sure the TECKK tour is just as good, but I have been reading such wonderful things about FISHES for the past 6 months, that I just felt I had to do their tour. I hope to return to Icy Strait sometime and do the bear watching with TECKK. Again, thanks so much for the help!

Karen

Thank you to everyone for the advice. After weighing everything, I went ahead and booked with FISHES. I'm sure the TECKK tour is just as good, but I have been reading such wonderful things about FISHES for the past 6 months, that I just felt I had to do their tour. I hope to return to Icy Strait sometime and do the bear watching with TECKK. Again, thanks so much for the help!

Karen

You'll have a great time with FISHES. Make sure you have that camera ready at ALL times as you'll never know where the whales are going to pop up. We had one humpback appear pretty close to the boat and caught us all by surprise.

Karen

• 6 years later...
FYI....just called to book a tour for June 2018 and was told that they (F.I.S.H.E.S.) are retiring this year!!

TECKK isn't operating either.

The loss of 2 excellent vendors. I'm sure another will move to the front of the list. I'm actually looking at a Sept trip for one last run with Floyd this year. Have already gone out with him twice this year.