Gotta get to Phi Phi somehow

Under the Sea

Hi

My fiancé and are cruising with Princess in November and would like to tour Phi Phi island. The ship is scheduled to dock at Phuket Deep Sea Port 8:00am to 8:00pm. The ship tour is noted as strenuous. It involves snorkeling, swimming and climbing a speed boat ladder. After countless emails and calls to Princess, I haven’t been able to get enough information to make a decision on this tour.

The information revolves around the mention of strenuous and the options of getting on and off the speed boat during all legs of the journey i.e.:

1) Leaving the dock

2) Stopping to snorkel

3) Leaving the snorkel location

4) Stopping at Phi Phi beach to swim and explore

5) Leaving Phi Phi beach

6) Arriving back to the dock

We’re not interested in snorkeling. If possible, we would tay on the speed boat while people snorkeled, only hopping off to swim at the beach. This would negate number 2) and 3) above.

Due to medical conditions, I am trying to determine if we will be required to climb this narrow ladder while we are submerged in water. I did see an image of a speed boat anchored right up to the beach sand bank. The ladder was pretty much out of the water. Still it may be strenuous to get up the ladder and back into the boat.

Back problems could also come into play based on the bumpy ride of a speed boat to Phi Phi.

I spoke to a 3rd party tour operator and they gave some options such as going to Phang Nga Bay instead. I would prefer to go to swim at Phi Phi though. These 3rd party tours are up north about 50 minutes from the Phuket Deep Sea Port and they would depart before we could get there from where the ship is docked.

Another option is to take a ferry from Rassada Pier which is only 30 minutes from where the ship s due to dock. The information I could find shows we’d have to catch an 11:00am ferry to Phi Phi, arrive 1:30pm at Phi Phi then catch the last ferry back at 3:00pm. This would give us 1 hour 20 minutes minus travel to and from the ferry pier at Phi Phi.

Can someone please give some advice and answer some of these questions:

- Information about the speed boat ladders

- Methods to get on and off speed boats (1 – 6 above)

- Chances of boat anchoring close to the shore so the ladder would be out of the water

- Speed boat tour operators out of Rassada Pier or closer than up norths tour operator locations

- Once on Phi Phi island by ferry, travel time to the beach

- Is the last ferry from Phi Phi at 3:00pm

- Any other options to get to Phi Phi

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Cruise Critic! I'm sorry you haven't received a reply yet...I shall do my best.

You can certainly stay on the boat during the snorkel stops, or just enjoy a swim. However,I would NOT recommend this excursion if you are questioning your physical ability to participate.

The ship's tour either uses the regular ferry (2 hours each way) and then transfers you to a longtail boat upon reaching Koh PhiPhi, or uses a longtail for the entire trip. In a longtail, you will feel every wave, every bump. It's hard on your rear end and harder still on your back. The snorkel/swim ladder is similar to a ladder in a swimming pool, except the boat is bobbing in the water while you are trying to ascend or descend the ladder. The boatmen will offer you a helping hand, but they cannot climb the ladder for you.

I suspect that the tour is rated strenuous not because of the tour itself, but because of the challenges that come with the transfers on the boats themselves.

As an alternative, there are some lovely beaches on Phuket Island where you would enjoy a swim without all the hassle of getting to and from PhiPhi in one day! Sabai Sabai!!

Kendal:cool:

Hi

Thanks for your reply. I am aware he post was too long; didn't read.

Few options:

1) Take your advice and give Phi Phi a miss. Can you please advise of some nice beaches on Phuket islad instead?

2) Take a speedboat and ensure it can anchor on the beach sandbank close to shore

3) I'll most likely get information on the ferrys.

Take the 11am ferry from Phuket, arrive at Phi Phi at 1pm.

Swim until 2:30pm and catch the last ferry from Phi Phi at 3pm back to Phuket for 5pm.

I'd need to confirm times and ensure the ferry is right near the beach at Phi Phi i.e. minimal travel time.

Thanks again