What's the most useful thing you pack?

I'm originally from Europe and had never seen a $2 bill until someone brought one to pay with at a fundraiser I was volunteering at, I was really struggling to figure out what I was going to say to this person who had brought me this fake money, until another volunteer clarified it for me!

OMG, that reminds me of the time I paid for something in a department store with cash and gave the clerk a fifty cent piece. She had to ask me what it was, and then said she had heard of them but had never seen one! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also travel with a tablet full of books, but sometimes there is a book I want to read that isn't available in my format. Then I get it from the library in hardcover and read it at home. Just advocating flexibility. Actually, most of the books I read on my tablet are downloaded for free from my library. Not everyone is aware of this option

I love my kindle, but always have a few books from the library's store or friends laying around -- I bring them to read and leave in the ships library when done. Sometimes I miss actual books, and they are easier to read on a beach.

Edited by widallas
typos

• 3 weeks later...
My kids get $2 bills from the tooth fairy!

Leave them at home. They are great for imaginary fairies but not much good anywhere else. Try using them in a vending machine. Try handing them to anyone under 30 to pay for things. Your kids know only because of the tooth guy. The guy from a foreign country certainly doesn't know what that heck it is.

For me, a small bottle of Febreze so I can freshen up clothes I'm going to wear more than once is useful. So is conditioner (a lot of cruise ships only supply shampoo and body wash). I also bring one of those waterproof phone cases (on a strap), not for my phone but so I can keep other important things safe when I'm by myself (like cash on an excursion and my ship card). (Note: This is for going in the water, when I leave my bag with my towel and sunscreen and all on the beach.)

• 2 weeks later...

I was a bit dismayed that there was no power outlet bedside, only at the desk and in the bathroom. The medium-sized power brick (enough for a couple of charges before needing a refill) I'd brought along, in addition to the smaller "single shot" one for my pocket during excursions, addressed that issue perfectly.

- over the door bathroom organizer (although we may have had enough space for everything, its nice to have everything spread out, and easily get to it from the cabin (with the door open) when my spouse is using the sink

- travel mug (especially for a cold weather cruise)

- sticky notes & pen

- pop up laundry hamper (so I don't have to pull out the luggage to put dirty clothes away)

- ziplock bags (wet bathing suits, snacks, organize small items)

- refillable water bottle

- about $50 in 1s (tipping and small purchases) and an envelope to put some in to keep it handy for room service tipping

- packaged snacks (for port days and sometimes I want a snack food in the room which isn't carried onboard)

- mini kleenex packs

- motion sickness medication and wristbands

- my own toiletries (don't like to rely on having shampoo provided, and hotels/cruises usually have cheap stuff)

very helpful! thx!

There are three things I never leave my home State without; my passport, my lawyers cell phone #, and $2,000 in small bills. There are ususally a few weapons scattered about as well, but never without the top 3.

Hi. I'm slowly putting things aside to pack - and thanks to this board, I've learned to bring things like a power strip, maybe a few clothes pins, and a spray bottle to spray clothes to help wrinkles fall out. What are your "must bring" items? Thanks!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not sure if it's just Carnival or on all ships, but surge protectors aren't allowed, and they'll be confiscated. It's actually not easy to find an outlet expander (for lack of a better term) that's *not* a surge protector, but here's three:

Dewenwils USB Outlet Plug

COZOO 2 Outlet Power Strip

AMIR 3-in-1 Travel Charging Station

Have a great cruise!

Extra "film". For all those young-ums out there..... we used to load film into our cameras.... and the best we could do is take 36 pictures. Nowadays, however, film is gone, so we have to make do with an equivalent.... extra memory cards.

Extra "film". For all those young-ums out there..... we used to load film into our cameras.... and the best we could do is take 36 pictures. Nowadays' date=' however, film is gone, so we have to make do with an equivalent.... extra memory cards.[/quote']

I go through batteries faster than memory cards. [emoji6]

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Wire hangers- I save the ones I get from the dry cleaners, take them onboard, and leave them behind when I disembark. There are never enough hangers.

I always ask for more hangers on day 1 and they always bring plenty--mostly wire. One less thing to pack.

Mrs. Dawg is the accountant in the family so she actullaly does pay for everything but she isn't the most useful thing I pack.

That's not to say she's not useful on a cruise. It's just that she doesn't like it when I pack her in the luggage...............

............. anymore. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not counting obvious things like money, passport, etc., probably our folding hamper and all sizes of zip-lock bags, from teeny to several gallon. The teeny ones hold necklaces and other jewelry and small items. The large ones wet clothing, shoes, etc. I also like a few plastic bags from stores along.

I also pack one large leaf bag to put dirty clothes in for the trip back. I can't stand having dirty clothes in my luggage.

Not counting obvious things like money, passport, etc., probably our folding hamper and all sizes of zip-lock bags, from teeny to several gallon. The teeny ones hold necklaces and other jewelry and small items. The large ones wet clothing, shoes, etc. I also like a few plastic bags from stores along.

I also pack one large leaf bag to put dirty clothes in for the trip back. I can't stand having dirty clothes in my luggage.

I take a hamper, plastic bags, and leaf/garbage bag as well.

When we change our clothes we put the dirty items in the plastic bags and keep them in the hamper during the trip. At the end of the trip we put the bags into a 30-gallon bag before going into the suitcase.

I don't like the cabin smelling like dirty or sweaty clothes and don't want the luggage to smell of it, either. Ick!

I use a roll up bag for jewlery; found for .25 at a garage sale. I put individual items (if they would get tangled) in the tiny ziplock bags. The roll up bag has several zip compartments and one large compartment.

I don't think my larger necklaces or bracelets would fit in a pill organizer but I can see it would be nice for earrings. Maybe I will try it for home!

I can get quite a bit in the silk bag and yet it doesn't take much space--either flat or rolled. I put it in my carry-on, if I am taking my 'good' jewelry. For costume jewelry it goes in the suitcase.

I've seen in several pictures here that people have gotten a euro style plug to plug in a USB charging hub. Every ship I've been on so far had a euro style outlet and that just one more plug to use.

This one is an outlet adapter PLUS 2x USB charging ports. So you can charge two devices AND use the outlet:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJNR9LM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1