Maya Chan

kdc0905

Will they allow you to choose a particular palapa for your group upon making the reservation? We have a party of 10 and would like to be somewhat close to the water.

thanks!

I am sure there is no harm in discussing your preferences and they will let you know what they can do. The palapa are all pre-reserved when you arrive.

I'm glad to hear they are accommodating to solo travelers. I'm definitely considering them. The fact that they include the transportation is a big plus IMHO.

Has anyone had experience there being gluten-free? Looking at the menu, I think I'll be ok with pretty much everything other than the tortillas (and possibly the chips if those are made from the flour tortillas).

I don't expect a Disney World experience when I go to the beach, but we go to Florida natural beaches frequently and while there is some sea weed in the water on those beaches, the water is generally much better for swimming than what we had at Maya Chan. The grass was thick and you had to swim through it in on most of the beach. The sandy clear area in the water was fairly small, and it was pretty full with other swimmers and people floating in the chairs. The staff is friendly and if you want to lounge on the beach, it was perfect. Service was fine, and the food was good; however, we do not plan to book with them again because I prefer to swim in water that is not as grassy as what we encountered the day we were there.

Maya Chan sounds like exactly what i'm looking for: private palapas, all inclusive food/drinks, transportation included, limited number of people per day, massages on the beach, amazing customer service, etc.

BUT after reading reviews, i'm concerned about the water. We will be traveling with 3 young children. is the water so bad they won't want to get into it??

i'm looking for reassurance that the water isn't that bad OR recommendations on another beach that's equivalent of Maya Chan in terms of amenities.

Thank you!!!

The water was a bit murky the day we were there, but we most certainly enjoyed getting in and playing. The setting was excellent, and I would definitely go again. I put up

of the place if that is helpful.

How is snorkeling off the shore at Maya Chan?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We do not snorkel but talked to those who paddled out to the reef and did snorkel. All were impressed with the experience.

The reef is a distance but clearly visible from shore. Last trip a group were out there for hours.

Closer to shore, the water is not as clear and visibility is limited.

• 3 weeks later...
Thank you for your reply.

Has anyone taken kids and had any problems with the water conditions for playing/swimming?

We went there about 5 years ago; it was fantastic and yes, there were a couple of families with kids. The seaweed can be gad, it was pretty bad that day, but the kids could go in the water. It is not a place for snorkeling or seeing beautiful water