In Transit Passenger in Civitavecchia

clueless2

We'll be on the 49 Day round trip from Port Everglades. It was also sold as a 21 day cruise that ends in Civitavecchia and a 28 day cruise that starts in Civitavecchia. We are there from 8am until 8pm. Just wondering how they handle the muster drill in this situation for in transit passengers.

My experience, in Civitavecchia, is four years old but I think we had to do the second muster drill at that time.

In Oct/16, in North America, we did not have to do the second muster drill and just got a spot a the Seaview Bar in anticipation for our informal M&G.

I would be prepared to go to both and be pleasantly surprised if told that the second one can be skipped.

My experience, in Civitavecchia, is four years old but I think we had to do the second muster drill at that time.

In Oct/16, in North America, we did not have to do the second muster drill and just got a spot a the Seaview Bar in anticipation for our informal M&G.

I would be prepared to go to both and be pleasantly surprised if told that the second one can be skipped.

And sometimes, if a group is on a late returning excursion, a "make up muster drill" will be held the following morning. This happened to us in Dubai.

It may depend on how many are boarding in Civi. When we were two of a group of 30 that joined the final segment of a Grand Med cruise in Barcelona, only us new boarders had to have a muster drill. However, if half the ship is changing it may be easier for the ship to have everyone do the muster.

I echo AQ's statement: "I would be prepared to go to both and be pleasantly surprised if told that the second one can be skipped."

International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) addresses the requirements concerning the various drills in their regulations. Actually the muster drill for passengers is only required for passengers to be held within 24-hours of sailing. but due to the Costa Concordia most cruise lines now do it before departing. It is a bit vague on frequency on this particular situation, but I would expect all passengers embarking on the 2nd 28-day cruise would be attending the drill.

On our last cruise we actually attended a muster drill the next day. The reason was our sail-away time was 22:00 with an all onboard time of 19:00. The muster drill was actually held at 16:00 probably to not interfere with dining times. We had planned on arriving earlier but the train we were traveling on to the ship broke down so we missed the drill. A form letter was presented to us by ship's security upon embarking explaining the requirement of attending the makeup drill and the location where it would be held the next day at 09:00. It was actually held eleven hours after being underway.

My experience there is coming on two years ago, and procedures could have changed by now.

I was on a series of 4 consecutive cruises, for a total of 39 days. The rule for each turnover day, including the day in Civitavecchia, was that if you had attended the drill in the last 30 days, you did not have to attend again.

Strange thing was this July I did have to attend both muster drills. It was 14 days per cruise. So, either things have changed, or different ship/different Captain made for a different rule.

As noted above---be prepared to attend, and please if you don't have to.

My experience there is coming on two years ago, and procedures could have changed by now.

I was on a series of 4 consecutive cruises, for a total of 39 days. The rule for each turnover day, including the day in Civitavecchia, was that if you had attended the drill in the last 30 days, you did not have to attend again.

Strange thing was this July I did have to attend both muster drills. It was 14 days per cruise. So, either things have changed, or different ship/different Captain made for a different rule.

As noted above---be prepared to attend, and please if you don't have to.

It would obviously be a lot easier for ship's personnel to have all attend rather than to identify those who might be seen as not needing to.

It would obviously be a lot easier for ship's personnel to have all attend rather than to identify those who might be seen as not needing to.

"Easier" could depend on whether or not the ship is using the new scanning device to record attendance. If so, just load the computer with only the names/cabin numbers of boarding passengers, and scan that they attended.

In transit passengers can be excluded.

Could it be that each HAL ship makes the decision? As in so many things HAL, things vary ship to ship. No doubt depending on many circumstances and "operational considerations".

When we started cruising HAL, Muster Drills were every week, period, for everyone. 20 and 21 day Panama cruises had 3 on the Ryndam and Zaandam.

Edited by SilvertoGold

. ....

When we started cruising HAL, Muster Drills were every week, period, for everyone. 20 and 21 day Panama cruises had 3 on the Ryndam and Zaandam.

We experienced that rule in 2005 when we cruised on Zaandam to/from Hawaii. We had a drill each week.

In 2014 we boarded the Atlantic Adventurer in Civitavecchia, so mid-way just to come home. We and about 58 others, those who boarded there, went to the muster drill before we left port.

This time we will be among those on for 49 nights, Ft Lauderdale R/T. We have a pretty full day planned for ourselves going up to Tarquinia so I'm hoping that a muster drill isn't going to interfere with our visit to the ancient sites. Many of course will be going into Rome and will likely need as much of the port time as possible.

But we will certainly abide by whatever is required and adjust our plans, which are probably more flexible than for those folks going into Rome! m--