Coffee card - buy new on ship or e-bay?

EllieinNJ

Many don't like the free coffee. I find that it varies from quite good to "OMG what did I just put in my mouth!" Mostly I find it OK. The coffee card gets you unlimited fresh-brewed coffee from International Cafe and also 15 punches each good for a fancy latte or frappuccino or whatever. The fresh brewed coffee is supposed to be for the card holder only while the punches for fancy stuff are free to share with anybody you like.
We typically use the coffee card when the Horizon Court "coffee" tastes like diluted battery acid. (it varies)

The coffee card can be used for specialty teas as well. The Indian mint blend is really nice.

Seeing as it usually takes us 3 cruises to use up a coffee card, we have found that at the start of the 2nd voyage, even on the same ship, they did not honor it for free brewed coffee. Later on in the voyage, if the barista recognizes us, they will neglect to punch our card (wink, wink) for regular coffee or tea.

We typically use the coffee card when the Horizon Court "coffee" tastes like diluted battery acid. (it varies)

The coffee card can be used for specialty teas as well. The Indian mint blend is really nice.

Seeing as it usually takes us 3 cruises to use up a coffee card, we have found that at the start of the 2nd voyage, even on the same ship, they did not honor it for free brewed coffee. Later on in the voyage, if the barista recognizes us, they will neglect to punch our card (wink, wink) for regular coffee or tea.

I have had coffee at lunch in MDR that was great. I got a refill and it was the most horrid coffee I have ever had. Sooooooo variable! As for the "wink wink"... The first time my wife got a coffee card I didn't even try to use it. One night she got a hot chocolate and the barista insisted on giving me one. I said, "Oh, but I don't have a card" and he said something like, "No, no. Not a problem Mr. Michael". I was really surprised. Of course, he also turned out to be a wine "guy" (not sure of the title of the folks in Vines) and he was absolutely great. Personable, funny, attentive, etc. We did both wine flight nights with him. He not only got an extra tip (in an envelope with our cabin number, etc. like it's supposed to be) but also got a "made a difference" card and a specific mention in the survey. Christopher was great and we would both love to meet up with him again on a future cruise. He was everything Princess claims their staff to be.

enhance

Note: On this same cruise we also met a couple named Stephan and Andrew from Canada. If they are here on CC and see this: "Hello! Hope to meet up with you again on a future cruise!" My wife and I really enjoyed your company. :D

Due to the bragging here on CC about selling coffee cards on ebay.

Like everything else that is abused and bragged about here......... Princess will probably do away with the perk eventually.

Then we will have endless complaining on how Princess is cutting back on everything.

Enjoy it while you can. :rolleyes:

Like,Like,like[emoji1303][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Like everything else that is abused and bragged about here......... Princess will probably do away with the perk eventually.

On my last few cruises, the cards I have received in exchange for the mini bar have had the

ship ./ voyage written on them. I guess this would limit their resale value.

We just use them, and if we have extra, save them for the next cruise.

Right now, we have quite a few extra. But, I just view this as a personal challenge for Mrs. Pablo

to drink her way through.

In the future, there might be a way to wire the coffee punches into the medallion, so they

are locked to the purchaser. Who knows?

In the future, there might be a way to wire the coffee punches into the medallion, so they

are locked to the purchaser. Who knows?

I guess it's possible but wouldn't that be unlikely since they have no limitations on who it allowed to use the card now. Limiting a single card to just that person just doesn't seem right and would be a nightmare to incorporate all the unused cards out there.

Then we will have endless complaining on how Princess is cutting back on everything.

Enjoy it while you can. :rolleyes:

Keith, with all due respect, I see it differently.

If an Elite passenger didn't want the bar setup and Princess said, "OK, here's $60 in lieu of the drinks," no one would care what the passenger did with the money. Just like money, these cards are simply an asset, and the holder can do whatever he wants with them. So I don't see any "abuse."

I also see no bragging. People who say it's fine to get them on eBay are merely answering the OP's question.

Jim

If an Elite passenger didn't want the bar setup and Princess said, "OK, here's $60 in lieu of the drinks," no one would care what the passenger did with the money. Just like money, these cards are simply an asset, and the holder can do whatever he wants with them. So I don't see any "abuse."

I also see no bragging. People who say it's fine to get them on eBay are merely answering the OP's question.

Jim

The OP stated that they wanted the coffee card mostly for brewed coffee and then some punches for specialty coffees. It would be a shame if the OP bought a card from eBay for $25 (saving $10.65) and then couldn't use it for brewed coffee as they wanted and are asking specifically about.

. If you buy an older style card it is unlikely you can get fresh brewed coffee without a punch. Of course if you buy a newer style card and the ship you sail on is still using up their supply of the old cards it will be equally obvious that the card was from anothe.

We used to get coupons bogo so we have some really old cards and only my husband drinks coffee. They have either used it as it is, or traded it out for the new one. If it's unused and no ship, that shows we we may have used it for brewed coffee, there has been no problem using it at all. There is nothing to crack down on if they are legitimate cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Jim

I hear ya, however IMO I don't think Princess see's it that way or had that intention.

Jim

Just give me the $60 cash in terms of OBC and I'd be happy. :D

I normally buy our coffee cards on ebay for $25. Then again, last cruise there were elite passengers offering them for $30 at our meet and greet.

Hubby and I plan on cashing out our minibar for 2 cards on our upcoming cruise. It's the small savings that add up.

I am the OP and really appreciate all of your suggestions. I think I will wait to board the ship and purchase a new card.

I think you made the right decision.....on our last couple of cruises they were making sure the name of that ship was written on the back of the coffee card.....it could not be used on other ships according to the staff.....:)

I think you made the right decision.....on our last couple of cruises they were making sure the name of that ship was written on the back of the coffee card.....it could not be used on other ships according to the staff.....:)

What they really meany was that it could not be used for the drip coffee at the IC anytime of day

On the Regal & Royal it's not that big a deal since the dripped coffee is always available at the buffet & DR and at the IC before 6 AM for everyone at no charge or punch.