Casual Cruising?

mary2e

You can wear shorts and a top at dinner in almost all of NCL's dining rooms. We were on the Gem in May, and they were not enforcing the no shorts rule in Pacifica.

We were talking about "high end" lines.

NCL prides itself as a "no rules" line - all you have to do is cover parts of your body pretty much any way you want.

What about the other side of the coin? What lines do you see more tuxes and such on formal nights? My wife loves to dress up for dinner...

Cunard. Especially on the Queen Mary 2 transatlantic crossings. All three Cunard ships real formal nights where one will see a lot of tuxes. Even on informal nights men are required to wear a jacket (tie optional) at dinner in the dining room. Many Cunard passengers specifically book Cunard because it is the last bastion of traditional ocean liner elegance. It's hard to be overdressed on formal nights. Your wife can dress like a grand duchess if she so chooses.

Cruising is now very casual: those lines which have dress codes state them really as "suggestions"...

You are absolutely correct. Although some may disagree, I don't think that it is such a bad thing. We have been cruising for twenty years now and have seen the gradual changes.

I am on vacation to relax and not to try and impress someone, relive the past, or pretend to be something that I am not.

And for those who concern themselves with such things, I wear a shirt with a collar and long pants to the MDR at night. I have never worn a hat to any of the dining venues and will go to specialty restaurants on so-called formal nights.

Cunard. Especially on the Queen Mary 2 transatlantic crossings. All three Cunard ships real formal nights where one will see a lot of tuxes. Even on informal nights men are required to wear a jacket (tie optional) at dinner in the dining room. Many Cunard passengers specifically book Cunard because it is the last bastion of traditional ocean liner elegance. It's hard to be overdressed on formal nights. Your wife can dress like a grand duchess if she so chooses.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

On higher end lines your defined "dressiest" -- "neater shorts and a top" would not work. They are not really formal, but they do have dress codes which you should check out - because, unlike the mass market lines, passengers are expected to comply.

And also because the people who can afford those cruises are generally more affluent and are used to attending dressier functions as part of the circles they socialize in.

And also because the people who can afford those cruises are generally more affluent and are used to attending dressier functions as part of the circles they socialize in.

Perhaps because they are more affluent they have wider wardrobes - and often prefer the structure of dress codes: many country clubs (particularly in the East) have rules which make cruise lines seem wide open: no jeans ever inside the club building, only whites on the tennis courts (not mainly white -- only white - with no colors), etc.

We stopped doing formal nights in the MDR some time ago. We started to pack lighter and only wear casual. Our preferred lines were/are HAL, Celebtity, and Princess. Lately some RCI, and also Carnival and NCL.

We never had an issue. We did not, and don't remain in our cabin. Other than dining in an alternate venue we do everything else that we would normally do.

Over the past few years this has moved from the exception to really nothing out of the ordinary. Hence the move by all of the mass market lines to move to a much more casual environment in the MDR on those nights.

So, from our perspective you can very easily do casual on any of these lines without feeling like you. Missed the memo (if indeed this is a concern for you).

You will find this to be the case on some of the premier lines.....Azamera, Oceana, Seaborne, etc. I do not think that this is the case on Cunard or Crystal-not certain about Viking. Clearly the mass market and the premier lines are targeting specific market segments.

In our experience, business and personal, it would be a mistake to judge someone's station in life based on whether they dress casually or suit/tie on a cruise.

Wow... thank you. Things certainly have changed. Re: the pool - yes, it was closed at dinner time :)

Anyway, what are the thoughts about Crystal and the other higher end lines?

On the luxury lines you are likely to run into dress codes that are enforced. You will find them more relaxed on Sea Dream and Regent, though they do highly recommend that you dress country club casual, which is a bit dressier than you have indicated you would like. As far as spaces to sit, either around the pool, or other outside venues they are plentiful. You will also find that those ships are not crowded at all. If you look at the passenger- space ratio the luxury lines have the highest in the industry, often 2 or 3 times higher than the mass market lines. If you can afford it that is the way to go.

But, to answer OP, "shorts and a top" are not evening meal attire on any of those lines - of course they won't say "no", they will politely advise about the possibility of in-room dining.

Sea Dream will not say anything nor will they suggest in room dining since it is not allowed on Sea Dream, though I will say that OP will likely feel out of place even if they dine al fresco every night on deck 4 or 5.

I can deal without using the MDR. To respond to some of the comments about affluence and which lines to use, well, money is not the issue. Our general rule is that if somewhere doesn't want us as we prefer to vacation, they don't want our money either. We don't travel in "those circles" intentionally and really don't want to. Country clubs are anathema to us. As are charity luncheons/dinners.

That is why I'm looking for a ship/line that will accommodate our desires without looking down their noses at us. If cruising isn't for us, well, we'll just keep spending our money elsewhere.

Thank you for all the opinions!

You are absolutely correct. Although some may disagree, I don't think that it is such a bad thing. We have been cruising for twenty years now and have seen the gradual changes.

I am on vacation to relax and not to try and impress someone, relive the past, or pretend to be something that I am not.

And for those who concern themselves with such things, I wear a shirt with a collar and long pants to the MDR at night. I have never worn a hat to any of the dining venues and will go to specialty restaurants on so-called formal nights.

Of course it is not a bad thing for people to have choices.

I choose to make a little effort when I go out to dinner with my wife - no necktie necessary, but a bit more than a tee shirt and shorts.

You do realize I never said tee-shirt and shorts, right? I said neat shorts and a top. There is a difference.

If you prefer to dress, that's great - for you. I'm looking for somewhere that would allow us to both be happy without either feeling uncomfortable.

We only go casual now. We will wear shorts to a restaurant...depending on the restaurant. I will wear casual slacks at dinner. It it is warm, I will may change into shorts after dinner and go out on the decks.

When we travel in the winter I typically only take one pair of slacks. Wear them on the plane and on the ship at dinner in the MDR if we book a cruise. Other than that it is shorts and a collared shirt...I never wear tshirts because of personal preference. Nothing to do with dress code.

We really don't care if anyone wears shorts in the MDR however we are very much MYOB and lasissez faire type. We had enough to the suit/tie/dress for business and business functions during our careers to last a lifetime.

Some people have strong opinions on it and I think that this is one dress rule that the mass market cruise lines do enforce. We really think the days of someone pretending to be part of café society or wanting to live or re-live the grand days of cruising are waning. Constant change.

You do realize I never said tee-shirt and shorts, right? I said neat shorts and a top. There is a difference.

If you prefer to dress, that's great - for you. I'm looking for somewhere that would allow us to both be happy without either feeling uncomfortable.

You did not say "tee-shirt" , but you said "a top" - with no qualification --- and a tee-shirt is such a "top".

And it is assumed you would only wear "neat" shorts to a dining room - rather than grubby or messy ones.

nhsails -

I hope you asked in jest. Although , I can see the slim possibility that my less-than-precise language may have given pause.

Certainly in the Navy the term "whites" always referred to uniforms and not the men in them , and I was making the same reference in the post which you question.

in

Perhaps because they are more affluent they have wider wardrobes - and often prefer the structure of dress codes: many country clubs (particularly in the East) have rules which make cruise lines seem wide open: no jeans ever inside the club building, only whites on the tennis courts (not mainly white -- only white - with no colors), etc.

nhsails --

I hope you asked in jest. Although I can see the slim possibility that my less-than-precise language may have given pause

nhsails -

I hope you asked in jest. Although , I can see the slim possibility that my less-than-precise language may have given pause.

Certainly in the Navy the term "whites" always referred to uniforms and not the men in them , and I was making the same reference in the post which you question.

in

nhsails --

I hope you asked in jest. Although I can see the slim possibility that my less-than-precise language may have given pause

I did. Literally spit out my coffee I was laughing so hard. Hubs was Navy Intel then got recruited to Fed side and took early retirement so very familiar with the term. Safe journeys