Hubby agreed on taking his first cruise!!!!!

Turqoisblu

Obviously she means exactly what she said: her husband isn't afraid to fly. The default position before trying something new is not fear. Flying is not an inherently scary activity like wrestling a crocodile is. I wasn't afraid of flying before I tried it, then I tried it and I still wasn't afraid.

To stay in context: there is an inherent contradiction when someone who, without experience in either mode of transportation, is afraid of traveling by ship but not by plane.

To stay in context: there is an inherent contradiction when someone who, without experience in either mode of transportation, is afraid of traveling by ship but not by plane.

:') Humans are full of contradictions. Why should the OP's hubby be any different?

OP, hope you and hubby enjoy the cruise and the flight. ;)

Um...no? That logic makes absolutely no sense.

Maybe he's scared of falling over a railing or scared of the ocean in general. That might make him afraid of the idea of cruising, but they're not applicable to being in a plane. You don't categorize a fear as "modes of transportation," you categorize is by the specific things that you are afraid of.

If someone is afraid of planes because they are a mile up in the air, that doesn't obligate them to be afraid of bicycles just because they are both modes of transport.

Um...no? That logic makes absolutely no sense.

Maybe he's scared of falling over a railing or scared of the ocean in general. That might make him afraid of the idea of cruising, but they're not applicable to being in a plane. You don't categorize a fear as "modes of transportation," you categorize is by the specific things that you are afraid of.

If someone is afraid of planes because they are a mile up in the air, that doesn't obligate them to be afraid of bicycles just because they are both modes of transport.

You really are beating this to death - I simply remarked that it seemed interesting that someone who had never been on a ship was afraid of sailing- while the same person, who had never been on a plane, was not concerned.

There is a certain similarity between untried modes of public transportation which makes selective fear of one but not the other worth noting - particularly when it is flying (which is widely seen as the most fear-inducing) that is of no concern.

Ok so I'm still new to cruising. I have a cruise this December with my mother in law. My hubby isn't a "being surrounded by water" person. He doesn't like knowing if **** hit the fan, he can't swim to shore. But his kind loving heart said he will try it out for ME. So although I loveeee CCL for family vacations. I really want our cruise to be romantic. This October will make 10 yrs for us being together. And January will make 8 yrs married. We never had a honeymoon. So I want to make this the best cruise ever! I need suggestions for a cruise line where we can have a romantic atmosphere. Trust me I'm not leaving all the romance up to the cruise line. I'm just need the cruise to set the scene lol. Thanks!

CARNIVAL LIBERTY 2017

CARNIVAL LIBERTY 2016

D.W. tried to get me on a cruise for our honeymoon.

It took her 18 more years to get me on a ship.

Now 9 years and 25 cruises latter it was worth the risk ( and a 100 Thousand Dollar's ).

Edited by biker@sea

You're the one responding, haha.

Flying is a lot of fun. I understand why a lot of people are afraid of it, but it's never bothered me. Statistically speaking, driving a car is the most dangerous method of transport (although I know not all fears are rational.)

Thanks guys! I have him looking at some of the brochures I've received. He is like wooooowww, he didn't know it was all of this and that. [emoji847][emoji847][emoji847][emoji847]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Glad to hear he is looking at brochures. When you haven't done something, the unknown can be a big part of the fear. Might consider also showing him some pictures that cruisers have taken and the website for the ship. Maybe even the floor layouts so he can see what is included in the ship.

Every cruise line is slightly different, not only on type and quantity of activities and shows, but size of the ship, the average passenger age, type of restaurants offered, etc. It can get overwhelming so you might be want to pick the one thing that is most important and go from there. You've said you want it romantic - what makes something romantic to you guys - then you can use that to determine the cruise line.

And, remember, whatever your final decision is, someone won't agree with it, but you have to do what is right for you.

Ok so I'm still new to cruising. I have a cruise this December with my mother in law. My hubby isn't a "being surrounded by water" person. He doesn't like knowing if **** hit the fan, he can't swim to shore. But his kind loving heart said he will try it out for ME. So although I loveeee CCL for family vacations. I really want our cruise to be romantic. This October will make 10 yrs for us being together. And January will make 8 yrs married. We never had a honeymoon. So I want to make this the best cruise ever! I need suggestions for a cruise line where we can have a romantic atmosphere. Trust me I'm not leaving all the romance up to the cruise line. I'm just need the cruise to set the scene lol. Thanks!

CARNIVAL LIBERTY 2017

CARNIVAL LIBERTY 2016

Be careful, our first cruise our ship hit a rock in Alaska and had a 300 foot gash on it, we had to get off on boats to be evacuated! My wife would set foot on a ship for 10 years even though we had a free cruise do to this event!!!!

Be careful, our first cruise our ship hit a rock in Alaska and had a 300 foot gash on it, we had to get off on boats to be evacuated! My wife would set foot on a ship for 10 years even though we had a free cruise do to this event!!!!

Oh no!!!!

CARNIVAL LIBERTY 2017

CARNIVAL LIBERTY 2016