Fort Lauderdale (Allure) - Ship to Airport timing - 9:20 am flight out?

To much stress after a wonderful cruise(vacation ) Don't even try it, one hiccup and you will be sitting at the airport trying to find another flight. 6 seats won't be easy to find either if you miss it. Earliest off, and that is if you can walk off carrying all 6 peoples bags would be 7:30- 7:45 at the earliest.

If you do the normal getting off the ship meaning leaving your bags outside your door the night before.......you won't be off until after 9am at the earliest..never make it through security at FLL.............Lots of ships in FLL.the airport in the morning will be super busy!

What are your options flying home from Miami?

Jimbo:)

That wasn't my experience on the Allure. We had a 9:40am flight and were at the airport and through security at 7:20am.

Just have to get up early and get in the walk off line with all your luggage.

Bill

We were on Allure in February. We booked the noon return flight vs. the 9am but kept in mind we'd get to the airport in case there were standby seats for the 9am. So we did express walk-off AND used Mobile Passport app to speed through customs/immigration. We were at the airport at 7:30am. Fastest debark and ride to airport ever. Next time I'm booking the 9am flight. I don't enjoy hours at the airport. Once the trip is over I just want to get home.

and they don't allow you to go through security until 2 hours before your flight... So you get to sit out in the check in area for hours with the hundreds of other people who have later flights...

I fly out of FLL monthly and have never heard of the 2 hr limit before a flight, though waiting inside the secure area is not much more exciting than outside of it.

I have done it many times and never had a problem. Do Express Departure. Get off ship at 7 and you will have plenty of time. I would never sit around waiting for that later flight. The worst thing is you end up on it anyway.

You only end up on it if there are any seats available and the OP needs six of them.

I fly out of FLL monthly and have never heard of the 2 hr limit before a flight, though waiting inside the secure area is not much more exciting than outside of it.

We encountered a limit (forget if it was 2 or 3 hours) at FLL for a Southwest flight a while back. May only happen during extremely crowded periods. They told us that the gate area was too full.

We will be cruising on the Allure on Feb 25th, 2018. Our return flight time options aren't great... either 9:20a or 3:20p. We'll be a party of 6, with 3 young children; I'd rather not have to find things to do to fill our day until our 3:20p flight. The ship 'arrives' at 6:15. I wouldn't normally even ask about a flight only 3 hours later, but the port is so close to the airport (FLL)... do you think we can make it? Is there someone at RCCL I could try asking that would know the details about our options for getting off the ship as quickly as possible on the last day?

Everything does need to go "perfect", ship has to arrive on time, clear customs, and then all that needs to happen for you as well, and only you can answer the question, How much stress in dealing with 3 young children to ensure all this goes smoothly will be needed.

Now, having said all that, we (58, 55, 25, 24) returned from Allure on June 25th, and had a Flight from FLL, departing at 9:30 a.m. We were in the Self Debarkation Line by 6:15, moving towards Customs by 6:30 and I'm guessing we were at the Airport by 7:15 - 7:30. Certainly no later.

I think it's very doable, you do need everything to go off on time, it's just a matter of how well can you handle the Stress, and if things don't go well, can you deal with that?

We encountered a limit (forget if it was 2 or 3 hours) at FLL for a Southwest flight a while back. May only happen during extremely crowded periods. They told us that the gate area was too full.

I have also encountered this with Southwest at FLL.

But, if there is something fun we could do that Sunday until the 3:20p flight, I'd certainly be up for that. Any suggestions? (I'll do some more searching on these forums of course.) I guess I'm just really unclear as to what the heck we'd do with our luggage while we are out and about.

Check to see if Royal is offering any post cruise excursions. They normally include handling of luggage and airport drop off.

Everything does need to go "perfect", ship has to arrive on time, clear customs, and then all that needs to happen for you as well, and only you can answer the question, How much stress in dealing with 3 young children to ensure all this goes smoothly will be needed.

Now, having said all that, we (58, 55, 25, 24) returned from Allure on June 25th, and had a Flight from FLL, departing at 9:30 a.m. We were in the Self Debarkation Line by 6:15, moving towards Customs by 6:30 and I'm guessing we were at the Airport by 7:15 - 7:30. Certainly no later.

I think it's very doable, you do need everything to go off on time, it's just a matter of how well can you handle the Stress, and if things don't go well, can you deal with that?

We were on Allure in May and also self disembarked. We did not get in line early, we left our cabin just after 6:45am. We got an elevator instantly and walked right off the ship, the early line was already gone. Customs was moving quickly. Grabbed a taxi, do not take cab 631, he refuses to turn on a/c, were at the kiosk at Jetblue printing luggage tags at 7:30. We had TSA pre-check and were through security and sitting ordering breakfast at a restaurant near our gate before 8am. Our flight was not until 10:15, but we would have made an earlier flight easily.

We will be doing the same thing in October getting off the Allure. WAYYYY less stressful :') And we get to depart from RSW instead of FLL!!

Same for us, turning in the rental car at RSW and flying home from there.:p The Fort Myers airport is SO nice to fly in and out of.

Each time I have encountered this we were on a Southwest flight and the airport was PACKED! Both before and after security.

Each time I have encountered this we were on a Southwest flight and the airport was PACKED! Both before and after security.

If the OP is trying to make a Southwest flight, there is no way I would try to make the earlier flight, unless they pay for the earlier boarding. Someone mentioned getting TSA pre-check, that is $85 pp, so with 6 people, that is a lot of money to invest if you don't fly often.

Even doing self disembark, they are going to have to wait in the elevator line in the terminal since you have to have on hand on the railing to use the escalator.

May only happen during extremely crowded periods. They told us that the gate area was too full.

That makes more sense, instead of simple time limit. One tip for FLL fliers, if the security check point for gates F is really crowded at terminal 3 (typically used by JetBlue - a zoo on weekend mornings when ships let out), try the check point at the other end of terminal 3 (used by American). You can walk between those sets of gates on the inside of the secure area. (you can even do that with T4 gates).

Edited by Biker19

Wow! I didn't expect to get so many replies... I really appreciate it!!! (Even though it has left me as confused as I was initially!)

As much as I'd love to extend our vacation, staying one more night isn't an option due to work and school schedules. But, if there is something fun we could do that Sunday until the 3:20p flight, I'd certainly be up for that. Any suggestions? (I'll do some more searching on these forums of course.) I guess I'm just really unclear as to what the heck we'd do with our luggage while we are out and about.

FLL has luggage storage locations (fee) but they don't open until 9am. http://www.broward.org/Airport/FAQs/Pages/BaggageServicesStorage.aspx.

There are a number of excursions one can book through RCI, (including everglades airboat rides). They will pick you up at the ship and drop you off at the airport.

Another option would be to rent a vehicle. Lots of places to go in the area, including beachs.

Morale of the story is that you have to weigh the risk vs. the reward for you and your family. There are many people who reported being at FLL airport by 7:30ish. And there are many people who reported not being able to get off the ship until 7:30ish. There are a lot of variables that are out of your control that could swing this scenario either way for you and your family.

So the question becomes what are the risks and are you okay with having to pay them. You have already stated that you must be home by Monday for work/school. Trying to get 6 people onto flights the same day may prove difficult and result in all or some of your party being forced to stay overnight. Are you willing/able to pay any sort of change fees and/or fare difference for having to switch your flight, or the cost of meals and a hotel if you have to stay the night. What does the stress level mean to you when trying to get 6 people, 3 of which are kids, on to a flight and trying to make sure that the kids are paired up with at least one adult and all that non-sense.

Those are all things that only you can decide, as we don't know what those consequences mean to you. Some people absolutely can't afford the change fees that may result, some people can. Some people absolutely can't risk missing work on Monday, for others it's not an issue at all. And some people can't or don't want to deal with the stress involved, and it's no big deal to others.

Regardless, enjoy your cruise with your family, we will be on Allure in April and can't wait.

Is it possible if all things line up? Yes, but it is very chancy. I have left the ship at 6:45 and used self-debarkation, used the mobile passport app and have a known traveler number so I could make this flight if I had to.

I have arrived at the airport by 7:15 and had breakfast at the airport. I was traveling with my adult sister and we both had the mobile app.

I would not try to do this with kids though. Can everyone carry his/her own luggage? Do you all have passports? Do you have known traveler numbers? If your answer is no to any of the questions, it's taking a huge chance in arranging for that early a flight. I know that hanging around until 3:20 isn't a fun thing to do, but if you attempt it, you will probably be totally stressed at least from the day before the end of the cruise and on. I wouldn't even think about it.

Take your time, have a nice breakfast, and leisurely leave the ship or take some kind of excursion that drops you off at the airport at the end of it. No point in rushing and being under so much stress.

Not sure about security at FLL and the 2 hour rule, but as far as airline check-in, Delta holds very firm to not allowing anyone to check bags more than 3 hours prior at FLL, particularly on cruise debarkation days. I believe others do as well, but most of my experience is with Delta.

OP- perhaps rent a car for the day, although it sounds like you'd need car seats for the kids and I don't know if you brought yours on the cruise or could rent them. Store bags in the trunk and go to a beach, a mall, or whatever to keep the kids occupied.

Not sure about security at FLL and the 2 hour rule, but as far as airline check-in, Delta holds very firm to not allowing anyone to check bags more than 3 hours prior at FLL, particularly on cruise debarkation days. I believe others do as well, but most of my experience is with Delta.

OP- perhaps rent a car for the day, although it sounds like you'd need car seats for the kids and I don't know if you brought yours on the cruise or could rent them. Store bags in the trunk and go to a beach, a mall, or whatever to keep the kids occupied.

Having read the checking bag comment many times on Cruise Critic, I asked at the Jetblue counter when we checked our bags in at FLL. The woman looked at me like I was nuts and said they accept bags up to 8 hours prior to the flight.

I wouldn't do it.

Hire a driver for the day to take you sight seeing. Tell them you need 3 car seats. Have them pick u up at the port.

See the sights, check out the beach, have lunch and then head to the airport.

Im figuring this is cheaper than 6 of RCCL post cruise excursions. You're also on your own schedule.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Wow! I didn't expect to get so many replies... I really appreciate it!!! (Even though it has left me as confused as I was initially!)

As much as I'd love to extend our vacation, staying one more night isn't an option due to work and school schedules. But, if there is something fun we could do that Sunday until the 3:20p flight, I'd certainly be up for that. Any suggestions? (I'll do some more searching on these forums of course.) I guess I'm just really unclear as to what the heck we'd do with our luggage while we are out and about.

If you are looking for something to do to kill time, you can take the free trolley on Saturday and Sundays from the airport to downtown Fort Lauderdale.

Here is the link to get the actual details:

http://www.suntrolley.com/routes-schedules-fares/airport/

I did a walk-through of this for our cruise last December if you want to see what we did. Click on the trip report below under my signature on Freedom of the Seas and skip all the way to post 1292 where it shows how we stored the suitcases at the airport storage area and you can see what we did riding the trolley to downtown. Great option especially since it’s free but it only runs on weekends.

As for the flight options, think you have more than enough opinions from everyone to make your head spin so I won’t add mine. As luck have it, we are looking to book flights for our December cruise soon and we have the option to fly out of FLL on a 9:30 AM flight post cruise, I just laughed when I saw that and moved on. Not a morning person…;p

BTW, I along with my DW will be on this sailing. We are going to stay an extra day in the Fort Lauderdale area so that the departure is even less stressful.

I've thought about it a lot and I would NEVER do it. Don't take a chance, the kids will survive waiting for the later flight.

So much can go wrong in getting to the airport or at the airport and everything has to go right to make the flight. My choice would be the 3 20 flight and loiter on the ship until they just about kick you all off which I am figuring will be about 9 30 or so. By the time you go through customs and the cab ride to the airport it should be about 10 30 or 11 30 am. Bring coloring books, etc. and keep those hand held devices fully charged to keep the kids occupied. Have a leisurely lunch at the airport at about 1 pm and before you know it will be boarding time and you get home relaxed instead of frazzled.

In any case have fun.