Unlimited Beverage Package Questions

GLDody

The terms and conditions of the Ultimate Beverage Package states that it is limited to one beverage per person per purchase. Does that mean that if I walk up to the bar and want to get a drink for my wife and myself I will either need both cards or they will have to run my card twice (once for each drink) rather than simply provide me with both drinks in a single purchase (assuming they are under $15 each and no charge)? Also does that mean that I can't order drinks with my UBP from a waiter at the pool?

Not sure what the official rule is, but in practice after the first time, the bartenders only scanned one card and gave us two drinks.

A suggestion for those of you who are upset about paying $.63 in tax per drink while in port: Complain loudly enough to be overheard. I'm certain that there are many people like me who would reimburse you on the spot to not have to listen to the pettiness.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have no problem paying extra on my "free" drinks while I'm in Miami if they want to recover their tax fee. Just don't call it a free drink and don't tell me that I'm paying sales tax. It's a matter of ethics in my mind. (Remember: I'm completely willing to pay a surcharge. The cheapness argument is not available to you.)

The terms and conditions of the Ultimate Beverage Package states that it is limited to one beverage per person per purchase. Does that mean that if I walk up to the bar and want to get a drink for my wife and myself I will either need both cards or they will have to run my card twice (once for each drink) rather than simply provide me with both drinks in a single purchase (assuming they are under $15 each and no charge)? Also does that mean that I can't order drinks with my UBP from a waiter at the pool?

Technically, you would need both cards. Realistically, the bartender will realize that both you and your spouse have the UBP and will give you both drinks with one card (swiping that card twice).

The pool service is covered by the UBP. Again, the staff will bring both drinks. The first day, you might need both cards but after a while, you will probably only need one card.

I have no problem paying extra on my "free" drinks while I'm in Miami if they want to recover their tax fee. Just don't call it a free drink and don't tell me that I'm paying sales tax. It's a matter of ethics in my mind. (Remember: I'm completely willing to pay a surcharge. The cheapness argument is not available to you.)

It's not a question of being "cheap". It's a question of "Why let it bother you?"

Enjoy your drink.

Enjoy your cruise.

Enjoy you vacation.

Why waste time thinking about where your money goes after it's gone?

It's not a question of being "cheap". It's a question of "Why let it bother you?"

Enjoy your drink.

Enjoy your cruise.

Enjoy you vacation.

Why waste time thinking about where your money goes after it's gone?

Thank you. We're very much looking forward to trying NCL.

In Miami it IS a sales tax! It is FL that charges it, not NCL.

NY ports are in NYC. Which means the tax is 8.875%. So your $10 drink, while the drink itself was "free"**, you will pay $0.89 in tax on that while you are in port and until you get out of NY. I've never tested at what point we are out of the tax zone after sail away.

** free meaning the UBP was your selected offer, but you still did pay the gratuity on the program, so in all it wasn't truly "free". I don't want to get into this argument

In Miami it IS a sales tax! It is FL that charges it, not NCL.

Go back to post #33. Read the information at the links as well as the explanation. In summary:

In lieu of normal sales tax calculations, there's charge based on the passenger capacity of the ship an the number of times it stops at Florida ports. This has been in effect since July 2016. The cruise lines lobbied for it because doing all the sales tax calculations and record keeping for beverage sales while in port was rather onerous. Got that? It's a per-ship charge. It's not a per-drink or per transaction charge. Neither Florida nor Miami-Dade require collection of taxes on cruise ship beverage purchases.

This is an alternative method of revenue collection compared to a normal, full-time, land-based business. Those businesses do pay tax based on net taxable receipts. Link to the 2016 tax code revision law is here:

https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2016/7099/BillText/er/PDF

==========

However, if it were a per transaction charge, it would be based on the net tax basis of the transaction. Something that is free has a tax basis of zero. Something that is $10.00 has a tax basis of $10.00. In a 7% sales tax situation, a free item has no sales tax due on it. (See the previous buy one pair of pants, get a second free example.)

In order for what you're saying to be true, a patron in a Miami-Dade establishment would have to pay 14% on a buy-one, get-one free happy hour drink. You're asserting that the free drink is taxed. It's not. (We have a fair amount of experience going to happy hours and I can assure you that your second, free drink isn't taxed.) Feel free to call a bar or restaurant in Miami to verify this. Or if you fly in early, go to a BOGO happy hour and look at your receipt.

The way tax is handled in Florida (and most places for that matter) is the free things aren't subject to sales tax. Conversely, if something is taxed, it's not free.

Just off Escape on Saturday. Went to Le Bistro for dinner and on the menu it shows a 3 oz serving of Veuve Clicquot Brut for $12.00 per glass but they said it was not included and would I have to pay extra, I think it was $15 more but I'm not positive on that amount. I declined. Just checked and it is selling at Total Wine for $41.97 a bottle so they really should cover it but they don't.

Remember, you can always bring wine or champagne on board with you to have at dinner or in your stateroom. You just pay the corkage fee.

Can I bring alcohol on board?

All guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. Please note that with the exception of Wine and Champagne, all guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on board our ships. If you purchase any alcohol at one of our ports-of-call or in our onboard shops, we will safely store your purchase(s) and either on the final night of the cruise or the morning of debarkation it will be available for pick up in a designated area.

Wine & Champagne Policy

Guests may bring bottles of wine and champagne on board. When bottles are brought on board and served or consumed in any restaurant, public room area or in their stateroom, a corkage fee will be charged according to bottle sizes noted below.

750 ml Bottle: $15.00 USD

1,500 ml Magnum: $30.00 USD

Wine or champagne sent directly to the ship by travel agents, friends, family, etc. or from another retail source, are subject to the same fees. Box wines are not allowed on board.

In preparing for my cruise in October, I thought I had the rules down pat. Reading here and the T&C's though has me a bit confused. On glasses of wine/champagne exceeding $15, are these just excluded altogether, or do you receive the $15 credit and pay the difference?

After completing about 60+ posts at the time I came to reply, I noticed that nobody had mentioned a few specific oddities in NCL's UBP Policies. So, for information purposes only... one cannot order a "Large Pour" of wine with the UBP without paying for it, even if the listed price is $15. (I know, not logical with NCL price guidelines).

Some wines and and all(?) champagnes are just plain NOT included!

Also, Any/all CANS of soda(pop) will be charged, so order "fountain soda." (...some folks have experienced some exceptions to this)

Also, Any/all CANS of soda(pop) will be charged, so order "fountain soda." (...some folks have experienced some exceptions to this)

The notable exception to this is ordering soda where the gun/fountain is not available. They will (should) crack a can and pour it into a cup.