Princess secrets

tuffy0317

Apologies if this has already been asked - I didn't see a thread.

We are cruising on Princess for the first time in March (Royal Princess to the Caribbean). What are some of your favorite Princess "secrets"? The must eat food, the must try specialty restaurant, the perfect spot on the ship to sit and read, etc.

Having cruised Celebrity a lot, we know the "secrets" for that line and can't wait to discover more on Princess.

So... tell me all your secrets!

Apologies if this has already been asked - I didn't see a thread.

We are cruising on Princess for the first time in March (Royal Princess to the Caribbean). What are some of your favorite Princess "secrets"? The must eat food, the must try specialty restaurant, the perfect spot on the ship to sit and read, etc.

Having cruised Celebrity a lot, we know the "secrets" for that line and can't wait to discover more on Princess.

So... tell me all your secrets!

Free pub lunch

Buy One Get One for $1 happy hours

Afternoon Nachos at the Outrigger Bar

Coffee from real grinds in the buffet

Gelato for punches on the Cafe Select card

The Cafe Select Card itself

Any purchases made at a bar while the ship is in Fort Lauderdale port are subject to FL State sales tax.

Afternoon tea in the DR, look for times on the back of the Princess Patter.

Lunch in the DR is only served on sea days

If you like steak the Crown Grill is nice and at a reasonable price, $25/pp.

The Crab Shack is also nice @ $20/pp

Alfredo's, open from 11am to 11pm, waiter served pizza and other menu items, no charge, walk in, no reservations required.

All specialty restaurant reservations can only be made on board

Edited by sknight

I'm sure I can think of more but a few immediately came to mind (and of course, shhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anybody): ;-)

1. If you want a seat at the 4pm happy hour, do NOT arrive AFTER 4pm, rather 5-10 min. prior.* Seriously, you'll see...; and

2. The St. Honoré (AHN-or-ray) cake in the buffet. Yup, at the buffet. Even if you avoid eating here (as I generally do), DO look for this. A spectacular and rare treat (although easily obtained by us Italian-Americans here in SF). For a ship's food item, I consider it the baked Alaska of the buffet. It's not generally known about and definitely not to be missed. I DARE you to contain yourself to a single serving!

3. Since I brought it up, the Baked Alaska on Fridays. Worth cutting short your visit to Rome to get (and research beforehand what will be expected of you during the parading of same).

4. If I remember correctly, there's a very nice intimate jazz concert in one of the nicer bars. It might be a semi-regular occurrence. Grab a martini and enjoy. VERY civilized departure from being pounded with trivia contests and general melees of balloon drops and such. Check your Princess Patter newsletter for time and location.

*(Oh, and don't worry about not getting the HH price; just say you're there for that; they'll fudge it).

I'm sure I can think of more but a few immediately came to mind (and of course, shhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell anybody): ;-)

1. If you want a seat at the 4pm happy hour, do NOT arrive AFTER 4pm, rather 5-10 min. prior.* Seriously, you'll see...; and

2. The St. Honoré (AHN-or-ray) cake in the buffet. Yup, at the buffet. Even if you avoid eating here (as I generally do), DO look for this. A spectacular and rare treat (although easily obtained by us Italian-Americans here in SF). For a ship's food item, I consider it the baked Alaska of the buffet. It's not generally known about and definitely not to be missed. I DARE you to contain yourself to a single serving!

3. Since I brought it up, the Baked Alaska on Fridays. Worth cutting short your visit to Rome to get (and research beforehand what will be expected of you during the parading of same).

4. If I remember correctly, there's a very nice intimate jazz concert in one of the nicer bars. It might be a semi-regular occurrence. Grab a martini and enjoy. VERY civilized departure from being pounded with trivia contests and general melees of balloon drops and such. Check your Princess Patter newsletter for time and location.

*(Oh, and don't worry about not getting the HH price; just say you're there for that; they'll fudge it).

Love #1!!! I never thought about doing that.

And I will def have to try #2. You don't have a picture do you?

And I will def have to try #2. You don't have a picture do you?

There's are many variations. I usually get mine from Victoria's Pastry here in No. Beach but below is similar to the one I remember they had onboard the Emerald last Summer. That filling, OMG, you-a think you're a-gonna die...!; And of course a creme puff with every piece (if you cut it right)!

st_honore_cake.jpg

Free pub lunch

Buy One Get One for $1 happy hours

Afternoon Nachos at the Outrigger Bar

Coffee from real grinds in the buffet

Gelato for punches on the Cafe Select card

The Cafe Select Card itself

Any purchases made at a bar while the ship is in Fort Lauderdale port are subject to FL State sales tax.

Afternoon tea in the DR, look for times on the back of the Princess Patter.

Lunch in the DR is only served on sea days

If you like steak the Crown Grill is nice and at a reasonable price, $25/pp.

The Crab Shack is also nice @ $20/pp

Alfredo's, open from 11am to 11pm, waiter served pizza and other menu items, no charge, walk in, no reservations required.

All specialty restaurant reservations can only be made on board

Did I see "coffee from real grinds in the buffet"? I know this is an old old topic. Have they done away with that coffee concentrate or syrup in the buffet? That nearly instant stuff they called coffee? "Looks like muddy water and taste like turpentine..." Tell us about the secret coffee in the buffet.

Edited by kwahl1

One of the best things to do if a coffee drinker is buy a 'coffee card' (which can even be pre-bought online and delivered to your stateroom upon embarkation). It ends up being cheaper than purchasing individual coffees and whatever is not redeemed can be used on your next Princess cruise. It also entitles free hot chocolates and tea with that card.

Sometimes. Depends on the ship.

How can that be? How could someone be going against policy?

If you found that, just bring it up with the MD and ask about what is going on versus Princess policy. I have done that before and it turned out staff was doing something incorrectly.

Use EZ check and overstuff your bags...

It was great to see a "heavy" tag on my bag when I picked up my luggage in my home airport. No extra charge!!!

I used it for the first time on our last cruise and what a relaxing disembarkment.

I did use the airline's baggage tracking system to be sure our bags made it to the plane.

Can't wait to use it again!!!!

How can that be? How could someone be going against policy?

If you found that, just bring it up with the MD and ask about what is going on versus Princess policy. I have done that before and it turned out staff was doing something incorrectly.

Lots of things vary by ship. In this actual case, the first ship wrote the ship name on the back. Next ship would not honor it. I almost tossed it with only 3 punches (REALLY expensive coffee :cool:) but then booked another cruise on the same ship as original, so, hopefully will be able to use it then. We'll see.

Lots of things vary by ship. In this actual case, the first ship wrote the ship name on the back. Next ship would not honor it. I almost tossed it with only 3 punches (REALLY expensive coffee :cool:) but then booked another cruise on the same ship as original, so, hopefully will be able to use it then. We'll see.

That's BS - you should have complained to mgmt. Unless you were attempting to get more free brewed coffee which I am sure you know is only free on the original cruise. ;)