bringing home sand?

rdrewbydoo

It clearly states "no soil" on the customs form but I have to admit I'm a sand collector. We put them in little bottles from Pier One that are made for spices (have a cork in the top). They are in a shelf in the family room and we must have almost 20 different ones. It's so cool to see the different colors/textures from around the world. It's quite a conversation piece when people come over.

I just take a film canister sized sample and when I get home, I put it in the microwave to kill any gross bugs/germs that may have been included. I know that still doesn't make it right, but I'm just telling you what I do.

I have to admit....I am a closet sand collector too....Have about 10 of them from different beaches in Hawaii, and the caribbean....My secret ziplock baggies....they work great!!!!!!!!!!! Just put them in the luggage and never been even asked about them. Also I think the baggies suffocate any critters that might have hidden in my sand. I also use spice jars for my sand and have a wall shelf for them all and I label them all with beach name and country. Makes reliving cruise time more realistic....LOL

I wanted some sand (to put into a little plastic thingy in my scrapbook) from Disney Cruise Line's Castaway Cay. I had no idea it wasn't allowed, but I put just a tad into my used water bottle and carried it back on board in plain view.

They took it from me.

Fortunately, my husband came through for me: he'd worn tennis shoes on the beach, and he shook them out over a piece of paper. He had enough for my purposes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
can you bring home sand from the beach? i want to use some in my cruise scrapbook. if i can, what should i bring it home in?? ( other than my shoes and bathing suit) :D thanks stacey

ps. how about hairbraiding in coz? how much? how much time??

I've been collecting sand for years. I bring it in a baggie or an empty little shampoo bottle or something. I also get a few unusual shells. When I get home, I "arrange" the sand and shells in a little glass bowl and put it on a shelf in my home office. I have a whole row of them. Isn't it amazing how different the sand can be from island to island? The sand from Antiqua has a beautiful sheen to it. Dominican Republic sand glitters like diamonds, etc. I've never gotten in trouble for bringing home sand, and I didn't hide it or anything because I didn't know you weren't allowed to bring it. If all the tourists returned all the sand and shells they've taken away, just think of all the new waterfront property there would be!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow....I didn't know you couldn't bring back sand... I collected as well from the Caribbean....Put it in a little plastic baggie like jewelers use.. But luckily I forgot in Hawaii... I later found out it's considered bad luck to bring back sand from Hawaii.... :p

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I also read that it's bad luck to bring back black sand or lava from Hawaii. I have had enough bad luck so I won't be risking it while in Hawaii.

We did however bring back some pink sand from Bermuda (small amount) and managed to buy a beautiful blown glass ornament with a ship in it back here at home in, of all places the dollar store. So I quickly purchased that ornament and filled it with my pink sand. Used a Sharpie black marker and wrote Bermuda 2005 on it and hung it on our Christmas tree. It is now one of my favourite ornaments.

Just thought I'd share.:)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I was so glad to find this thread! We want to bring back some sand, but I wasn't sure how. I'm thinking, what would it look like to have a baggie with a powder substance going through an x-ray machine! :eek: Anyway, I am thinking of taking a small container that used to hold vitamin (green superfood) powder in it and use that to get our sand!!

Just did this in March, again!! This time I brought plenty of snack sized ziploc bags and kept them in my beach tote. These don't take up any room and they work great. I also used the ziplocs for rocks and shells.SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhhhhh!;) (and other mementos)

Have a great cruise!

what happens if you DO get caught? I want to bring some sand home and a few small shells too, but it sure isn't worth going to jail or a huge fine! I guess it really all depends on who the person is that busts you for it and whether they are in the mood to be a real jerk or not. Anybody know the punishment for bringing home sand? Suddenly I'm thinking of so many other crimes that should be punished and bring home a baggie of sand just doesn't seem to horrible.:o

I bought a 6 pack of the empty, clear glass ornaments and put a small amount of sand in them from Seven Mile Beach. Bought a package of small seashells at Michael's craft stores to add to the sand and used a gold highlighter to write the name of the beach and the year on the outside of the glass. They made nice gifts and a nice decoration for our Christmas tree. I didnt realize either that you weren't 'allowed' to being the sand home. Guess I'll be wearing oversized shoes to the beach this summer!

• 4 weeks later...

I went to wal-mart and bought 5-4oz. baby bottles. I cut little squares of that new press and seal paper, put those over the opening and then screwed the nipple and ring back on.

I took one baby bottle (labeled on the bottom) to shore, I scooped up beach sand and water from each island we stopped at. Getting it back on was simple.....it was a baby bottle, no questions asked!!!!

Then I took them home and made cool labels for the glass spice jars I found (also wal-mart) and now I have five beaches to look at and remember!!!! It is amazing how different each beach is when they are side by side!!! I have a couple photos but I can't figure out how to post them here, if you'd like to see them email me........

jksteiskal@hotmail.com

My kids take turns keeping them in their rooms and I bring them to work from time to time to help the daydreaming process!! :p

sanditoes4-

Great idea on the baby bottles. I have used some left over small jelly jars and made paperweights, but I don't want to buy a whole case for the last sand I brought home.

Thanks for the baby bottle idea. I am going right out to Target and buying one so I can get my project done.:D

• 4 years later...
I've been thinking about starting to bring a small amount of sand from each of the beaches we will visit on our next cruise in June 2011.

Has anyone had troubles doing this in the past year as a souvenir??

I have done this on some of the more unusual beaches. Take those snack ziplocs for this purpose or in a pinch I have put some in an empty plastic pop bottle.

I bring mine home in a ziploc bag (used to use film canisters before we went digital). There is a museum near where I live that has a great display: sand from all over the world was captured and put into CD jewel cases. The multi-colored jewel cases form a mosaic on the wall. I think that is so cool!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I've brought sand home many times from cruises (ziplock bags) and it never even occurred to me that it might be prohibited! From my last cruise I scrapbooked some of the sand in a packet on the page and it always brings back memories when I look at it of the great day we spent on that beach!