east is east and west is west ...

YoHoHo

Sorry but I can't find this so thought I'd ask you experienced sailors.

DW would love a cruise on Start Clippers and Panama would be perfect. But she does suffer a bit when sailing, not that it has curbed her desire. I'm wonder in Nov/Dec which direction would be smoother sailing.

Star Flyer 2017 has 'Panama West' as they call them both, Barbados to Balboa and Balboa to Grand Cayman

Which is the preferred direction?

• 1 month later...

A little surprised no sailors monitoring this board given the affection for the cruise line.

That said, I fall into that category; very much enjoy the Star Clipper ship experience, but despite passing my sailing exams I could not figure this out. Have no sails myself but love to sail.

In case someone is in need of this in the future I have a lovely answer from Star via our TA:

East is more exciting

Westbound is smoother, friendlier

That said, the Captain does consider the course against the weather and seas and speed, of course.

Edited by YoHoHo

I looked into this route a couple of years ago. We are sailors, in the UK, it was a route from Barbados, to include the Panama canal at the time, or to Cuba.

The passage west is likely to be downwind until well into spring. NE trade winds blow up to at least February. On a Clipper downwind is wonderful, upwind a slog into the waves and with little wind for lift. Sail boats can't sail into the wind. So it means motoring, with sails up, into the seas. Not so comfortable, or fast if the winds are strong.

At the time there were fewer stops on this route, so we chose a week in Cuba. Interesting, but not much sailing. :(

Hope that helps! Anyone a bit seasick would be better west bound. Its warmer on deck too with the wind behind you!:)