LHR to Southampton

jimdod

Cheapest for a couple is by bus at around £23 pp

http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx

You need to know your Heathrow terminal - the bus starts at Heathrow central bus station in the T1/2/3 complex (no more than a ten minute walk from any of those terminal) and calls at T5 and T4, which are remote from the main complex.

Your destination is Southampton coach station, walkable to City cruise terminal & no more than a £10 taxi fare to any other cruise terminal.

You're strongly recommended to book, the service isn't frequent. Allow about 90 minutes for usual airport formalities from touch-down to arrivals hall.

From airports only, your ticket can be used for a later bus, because its acknowledged that delays aren't in the control of the passenger.

By train is a little complicated, expensive and slow, because Heathrow isn't on the main line to Southampton. Either

- train to London's Paddington station, then cross central London to Waterloo station for direct trains to Southampton central station, passing within a few miles of Heathrow.

- or RailAir bus from Heathrow to Woking station, then those same direct trains to Southampton.

Not a great option, but trains are frequent and no need to pre-book, so its a useful Plan B if other arrangements foul-up.

By private transfer, expect to pay about £90 for a pre-booked sedan from airport to ship - about 60 miles. 90 minutes.

Check out http://www.smithsforairports.com and http://www.aquacars.co.uk and http://www.westquaycars.com All three are based at the Southampton end and are frequently used by CC members.

Cruise lines offer a bus transfer service from all terminals to the ship, on sailing day only. A good service, and some folk find it reassuring that airport to ship is the responsibility of the cruise line. But poor value, you may find it more expensive than a private transfer for two, and certainly for three or more.

There's a tour-transfer bus from airport hotels to Southampton via Stonehenge. But note that's from hotels - and for a reason. If your flight is late, you've wasted your money.

What's your flight arrival time?

And your ship?

And the date / day of the week ?.

It can make a difference.

JB :)

PS - you'll get more replies if you ask on the British Isles forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

You need to know your Heathrow terminal - the bus starts at Heathrow central bus station in the T1/2/3 complex (no more than a ten minute walk from any of those terminal) and calls at T5 and T4, which are remote from the main complex.

Your destination is Southampton coach station, walkable to City cruise terminal & no more than a £10 taxi fare to any other cruise terminal.

You're strongly recommended to book, the service isn't frequent. Allow about 90 minutes for usual airport formalities from touch-down to arrivals hall.

From airports only, your ticket can be used for a later bus, because its acknowledged that delays aren't in the control of the passenger.

Thanks for this info! I was going to be asking this question in the upcoming months, but it's good to know this now. Do you know how I can find out what terminal we'd be flying into? That's not something I usually pay attention to, since I don't normally need to know what terminal I'm landing at. We're flying United in from the States.

And you said the coach station is near the cruise terminal, which is near our Holiday Inn hotel, so hopefully we can just walk it to there from the bus station.

Thanks for this info! I was going to be asking this question in the upcoming months, but it's good to know this now. Do you know how I can find out what terminal we'd be flying into? That's not something I usually pay attention to, since I don't normally need to know what terminal I'm landing at. We're flying United in from the States.

And you said the coach station is near the cruise terminal, which is near our Holiday Inn hotel, so hopefully we can just walk it to there from the bus station.

Hi Cindy,

For your Heathrow terminal

http://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/which-terminal.

But worth double-checking with United.

-----------------------------------

Holiday Inn is at Dock Gate 8, about 300 yards from City cruise terminal.

But there are 4 terminals in Southampton, so check which is yours

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

Unless the weather is foul, an easy 15-minute level walk to City cruise terminal (as per this map, but cut thru the Holiday Inn carpark),

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50.9058501,-1.4089393/50.9004177,-1.4136831/@50.9023918,-1.4141076,1400m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

A longer walk to Mayflower or Oceanterminals (with luggage, cab advised), QE11 terminal is deep in the docks & a cab very strongly advised.

There's a cab rank at the coach (bus) station - about £6 to City terminal, no more than £10 to QE11 terminal

You are always so helpful so I hope you can help me out with this. We arrive in Southampton on Saturday April 29. Says docking at 5:30 am and I see there will be another ship in port. According to the port authority the Eclipse will be at city dock 101. The cheaper advanced train tickets to Waterloo were released today. How realistic is it to book a 9 am train and how realistic to walk to train station if cabs are not available?

Thanks so much

Gail

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are always so helpful so I hope you can help me out with this. We arrive in Southampton on Saturday April 29. Says docking at 5:30 am and I see there will be another ship in port. According to the port authority the Eclipse will be at city dock 101. The cheaper advanced train tickets to Waterloo were released today. How realistic is it to book a 9 am train and how realistic to walk to train station if cabs are not available?

Thanks so much

Gail

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, Gail,

Yes, Eclipse will be at berth 101, City cruise terminal.

Altho your ship will arrive while you're still in the land of nod, it's not usually cleared for unassisted (schlepp your own bags) disembarkation until about 7am, with regular disembarkation staggered between 7.30 and 9am. Formalities as quick as 10 mins from ship to pier for the first few, mebbe 30 - 40 minutes for later disembarkations.

I suggest you ask to be re-allocated to a 7.30 or 7.45am disembarkation (a little white lie, your train is "at 8.30" ;)), or if it makes you feel more comfortable go for a 7am unassisted disembarkation though you'll be hanging around at the station.

And yes, disembarking at the same time will be P&O's Aurora (about 2000pax).

But in mid-season Southampton has 3 or 4 or even occasionally 5 ships turning around, with no significant delays for cabs.They're mainly used for very short transfers in the city, and re-join the back of the line at about the same rate that cabs are called forward at the front.

But central station is only a level 15-20 minute walk (add five to use the station elevator to cross the tracks to the London-bound platform). Two major roads to cross, but lights at both to help you across.

So in the unlikely event of grief at the cab rank, no worries. But fingers crossed its not raining.

I think www.westquaycars.com still accept bookings for a private transfer despite the short distance, and charge only a pound or two more.

But I really don't think that's necessary.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/50.9006165,-1.4143/50.9071596,-1.4125774/@50.9041976,-1.4221608,1399m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m2!4m1!3e2

• 1 month later...

By train is a little complicated, expensive and slow, because Heathrow isn't on the main line to Southampton. Either

- train to London's Paddington station, then cross central London to Waterloo station for direct trains to Southampton central station, passing within a few miles of Heathrow.

- or RailAir bus from Heathrow to Woking station, then those same direct trains to Southampton.

Not a great option, but trains are frequent and no need to pre-book, so its a useful Plan B if other arrangements foul-up.

By private transfer, expect to pay about £90 for a pre-booked sedan from airport to ship - about 60 miles. 90 minutes.

Check out www.smithsforairports.com and www.aquacars.co.uk and www.westquaycars.com All three are based at the Southampton end and are frequently used by CC members.

Cruise lines offer a bus transfer service from all terminals to the ship, on sailing day only. A good service, and some folk find it reassuring that airport to ship is the responsibility of the cruise line. But poor value, you may find it more expensive than a private transfer for two, and certainly for three or more.

There's a tour-transfer bus from airport hotels to Southampton via Stonehenge. But note that's from hotels - and for a reason. If your flight is late, you've wasted your money.

What's your flight arrival time?

And your ship?

And the date / day of the week ?.

It can make a difference.

PS - you'll get more replies if you ask on the British Isles forum http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

Hi John, your info is very helpful. Is londontoolkit.com a trusted website? Thanks

Teresa

Hi John, your info is very helpful. Is londontoolkit.com a trusted website? Thanks

Teresa

Hi Teresa,

Yes, London Toolkit is an excellent and well-established website packed with useful info, mainly about London but also about the ports like Southampton.

I update them from time to time if any of their Southampton info goes out-of-date, and I guess others do too cos they're rarely out-of-date.

By comparison Tom's Port Guides and even Rick Steves guide books have some errors and some out-of-date material about places I know, so I'm wary about their info on places I don't know.

The one area I'd avoid is their private transfer offerings. I have little doubt that the standards are good, but the rates are high - I'm guessing they get a fat share, same as cruise lines do for excursions.

But the very good cruise bus tour-transfers available thro' them are actually about £10 cheaper than buying direct from the coach operators, International Friends

Hi Teresa,

Yes, London Toolkit is an excellent and well-established website packed with useful info, mainly about London but also about the ports like Southampton.

I update them from time to time if any of their Southampton info goes out-of-date, and I guess others do too cos they're rarely out-of-date.

By comparison Tom's Port Guides and even Rick Steves guide books have some errors and some out-of-date material about places I know, so I'm wary about their info on places I don't know.

The one area I'd avoid is their private transfer offerings. I have little doubt that the standards are good, but the rates are high - I'm guessing they get a fat share, same as cruise lines do for excursions.

But the very good cruise bus tour-transfers available thro' them are actually about £10 cheaper than buying direct from the coach operators, International Friends

Thanks John, good info! Teresa

Hi Teresa,

Great stuff John.

• 3 months later...

I just wanted to come back and say thanks again for the advice. We used Smith's and they were awesome. He was right there on time, for our super early arrival. He was very cordial, talked a lot, gave a lot of ideas/info, etc... And then when we said what we were thinking of doing in Southampton, he mentioned we may want to consider Portsmouth instead. He was finishing his shift and heading there anyway. Soo... he stopped at our hotel in Southampton so we could drop our luggage, and then took us to Portsmouth, showing us where to catch the train to go back. He didn't charge us for that part of the drive, but we tipped nicely.

Can add another very positive review for Smith's for airports.....Driver on time, early actually, with iPad with our name,professionally attired in gray suit, Knowledgeable of routes and roads, helpful. Booking online and email follow-up handled very promptly and very well. Pricing good, less than car service we typically use in London. Definitely recommend! Found Smiths on these boards. Spot on advice from cruise critic members!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Depends on the date. Either Mayflower or the QEII terminal according to the schedule.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/live_information/shipping_movements_and_cruise_ship_schedule/cruise_ship_schedule/

Yes, little Adonia gets shoved into any spare corner of the docks, depending what / how many other ships are in.

That has included being squeezed in between City and Mayflower terminal at berth 102 - the Fruit Terminal ;)

On this link, click on the bottom map for the locations of the various berths.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Port_Maps/

• 2 months later...

Smiths for Airports is a fine car service which we used Thanks to our roll call,for Celebrity Eclipse Transatlantic upcoming. Jeff our driver was prompt and an excellent driver as he picked us up at London Marriott County Hall and delivered us to Holiday Inn just outside the dock gates today. The drive was smooth, very safe, and economical for a two hour trip, but best of all Jeff is well traveled, knowledgeable, educated, and a wonder conversationalist. The time flew! Thanks to the suggestion and thanks to Jeff, we are ready for our cruise after some hectic days in London.

Sent from my iPad using Forums