The Crown Grill has slipped another notch....

Honeybees

If the quality of the food and service are consistent (which is still unknown at this point) then how have they "slipped another notch"? All they have done is clarify their pricing policy, adopting the common standard of allowing multiple starters and sides but only one main. And I am curious about the "another" part; I wasn't aware of any previous notches slipped.

I hope the OP reports back with an overall conclusion rather than a knee-jerk reaction to change.

But I hope more that the OP turns off his device and finds a way to enjoy the remainder of the meal.

Typical Princess business plan of late. Raise the price and then ALSO take away what was previously offered as complimentary with the cruise fare.

Death by a thousand cuts....

Somewhere in the Ivory Tower in Santa Clarita, the Princess bean counters are really crapping the bed. The value of a Princess cruise really doesn't justify the price anymore.

Very subjective. I wouldn't order the lobster (it's frozen so nothing like fresh lobster) anyway so the lack of surf 'n turf doesn't affect me. As long as they still have a filet mignon, I'm a happy camper.

Very subjective. I wouldn't order the lobster (it's frozen so nothing like fresh lobster) anyway so the lack of surf 'n turf doesn't affect me. As long as they still have a filet mignon, I'm a happy camper.

We love the filet mignon and we always look forward to the crown grill at least once each cruise.

Ttyl

Just on the Emerald and having dinner at the crown here is the new menu. Notice the bold print at the top ....no more surf and turf!! What a disappointment!!!53fcb7839991ca00b2c77f8d83466d96.jpg

What if you are dining there on embarkation evening as a complimentary dinner from staying in a full suite? Will they charge me $10 for S&T? Or is the meal complimentary as a suite benefit?

Whew - I was worried that the OP was commenting on the food quality or service! However, I AM glad to know about the entree options in advance for planning purposes. This way, as a "fix" for today's reality (that painful balancing of customer expectations with managing costs/waste) on bug-night in the MDR I'll make early reservations at the Crown Grill to chow down on a good steak, and then go to the MDR for just the shellfish if I still have a hankering for the "surf" part of the meal. Might not be bad - that delay will let me digest and decide if I really want more food or if I'm just way-too full. :p

Our Crown Grill dinner was the one and only thing I was disappointed with on our cruise on the Crown Princess in March (besides the wait time to board which was customs' fault not Princess). While I have raved about everything else on the ships, our dinners at Crown Grill were overcooked and service was very slow and unreliable. I hate to say it because I love Princess but my lobster was rubbery, and my husband sent his steak back for being overdone (I only didn't send mine back because I don't like causing trouble.) It may be only that sailing, I don't know, but I'm going to seriously hesitate making reservations at the Crown Grill on future trips. Maybe if they had offered something to make up for our trouble (like a chance to try it again at a discount), but after I filled out their survey explaining the problem they offered nothing. It was ironic that our "free" meals in the main dining room offered better food and service. I hope it's not like this all the time.

My Crown Grill experience with Regal Princess - Baltic sailing May 11, 2017

The size of the lobster tail is a tiny small 4 oz! A kind of disgusting! The onion soup is watery - worse than the one in the regular dinning room. My rib eye steak was way over cooked, from MR to MW! I had to ask three times for olive oil for my bread.

On our transatlantic last October on the Royal we ate in the Crown Grille several times. We were very disappointed with the Sirloin. Filet Mignon is not the cut for us. We liked the lobster tail and ordered several as they are small (I admit to a hearty lobster appetite!). The change is personally disappointing.

My Crown Grill experience with Regal Princess - Baltic sailing May 11, 2017

The size of the lobster tail is a tiny small 4 oz! A kind of disgusting! The onion soup is watery - worse than the one in the regular dinning room. My rib eye steak was way over cooked, from MR to MW! I had to ask three times for olive oil for my bread.

We usually love the Crowne Grill, but we had issues on the Regal in March. Steak was over cooked twice and we had to send it back both times. Never had experienced that issue before. Service was spotty. Poor waiter had to take care of too many of us, unlike the preceding

Two years when there were fewer tables to each waiter, but the difference this time is the place was full I think due to so may having free dinner promos and lots of OBC. Princess was having great promos in 2016 and I think it translated to packed venues and overwhelmed the staff.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If the quality of the food and service are consistent (which is still unknown at this point) then how have they "slipped another notch"? All they have done is clarify their pricing policy, adopting the common standard of allowing multiple starters and sides but only one main. And I am curious about the "another" part; I wasn't aware of any previous notches slipped.

I hope the OP reports back with an overall conclusion rather than a knee-jerk reaction to change.

But I hope more that the OP turns off his device and finds a way to enjoy the remainder of the meal.

Well actually, the quality of the food has diminished over the years, but we still go multiple times each cruise because overall we enjoy their menu over the MDR most nights. The quality of the steaks has gone down over the years, but it's still good just not great. The soups are both not as good as they used to be. I love the goat cheese and heirloom salad, but have never had an heirloom tomato in it. The mussels in the mussel pot have been very dry and bland the last few years, so if I'm craving them I just order as an appetizer. I couldn't see spending extra money for them now.

This was no "knee-jerk reaction" just a heads up that the price has changed AGAIN. That's what cruise critic is for and why I love it.

Unfortunately service was excruciatingly slow tonight and we waited over an hour for our appetizer and 2 hours before getting our main course. Our waiter didn't say more than 2 words to us which was a first for us in there.

Overall I would go back even if to just get my chocolate pot that is to die for!! I just won't pay additional money for the extra items because in my opinion they're not worth it.

The cut backs are everywhere.

Same could be said for the passengers. Dress styles are getting more casual to the point of sloppiness - people would wear bathing suits and tank tops in the MDR if they could get away with it. Behavior is becoming less civilized - people are ruder and less patient than ever, with their "It's my vacation" attitude on full power mode. And people expect more for less money - they demand bargain basement fares, but then demand all the bells and whistles while complaining about deteriorating service levels.

Yep, there are certainly a lot of cutbacks noticeable these days, but mostly it's with the passengers!

The cut backs are everywhere.

They have that 40 million dollar fine to pay and I'm sure the cutbacks and quality levels will get worse. When people say there's no noticeable differences and the quality has not changed it makes me realize why McDonald's is still in business!

They have that 40 million dollar fine to pay and I'm sure the cutbacks and quality levels will get worse. When people say there's no noticeable differences and the quality has not changed it makes me realize why McDonald's is still in business!

Bingo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk