Please help me decide

perlgirlnj

I am looking at two Caribbean cruises in December. They each have their pluses and minuses, some of which I realize only I can decide, but I'd like feedback on the parts that others can compare. Surprisingly, pricing is similar though the product/cabin is not.

One is on Oceania Riviera, departing Miami for 10 nights. Ports are Nassau, sea day, San Juan, St. Maarten, Antigua, St. Lucia, St. Barts, 2 sea days, back to Miami.

Pluses for me are:

• right now, I really really need sea days & beach days so while usually 3 would bother me, this time it doesn't.
  • have not been to St. Barts. have not been to Antigua in a very long time.
  • have not been on Oceania but do have some money hanging out there from a previously cancelled cruise.
  • timing is good in early December

Minuses for me are:

• Nassau
  • Have been to San Juan, St. Maarten and St. Lucia before, and in some cases, recently.
  • Ship is big (bigger than option 2)
  • While not the biggest drinkers, alcohol is not included.

Second option is on Seabourn Sojourn, also 10 days out of Miami. Ports are: 2 sea days, Jost van Dyke, St. Kitts, Antigua, St. Barts, San Juan, 2 sea days, back to Miami.

Pluses for me are:

• Sea days on a smaller uncrowded ship (as I said, I need them right now)
  • All suites
  • Alcohol included
  • Some new ports for us (Jost van Dyke, St. Barts), haven't been to St. Kitts or Antigua in awhile.
  • Perceive Seabourn to be more upscale, definitely more inclusive.
  • Also have some money in to Seabourn from a prior cruise credit.

Minuses for me are:

• Have been to San Juan before (& recently)
  • Ship isn't getting great reviews right now
  • Timing is for sure less good for me.

I will post this on the Oceania forum too. I know there are many A vs. B threads out there but I'm still having a hard time weighing these particulars. And yes, I know much of it is subjective but I'm still looking for help--thanks for helping me decide.

Take the ships and lines out of it- Seabourn worth it for St Barths alone in this case. I know there are a lot of evangelists for both cruise lines- I've sailed both, I like both. I tend to prefer Oceania on cruises where the ports are more important than the ship itself. When in the Caribbean I prefer Seabourn because the ship is sort of just as important as where you're going (as, let's face it, some places down there aren't terribly different than the others). I think the smaller, more intimate Seabourn ships are way better on this sort of itinerary, all things considered. Toss in some great ports you haven't been to like St Barths (which is an amazing place) and I think this tips towards Seabourn.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can't help you decide between Seabourn and Oceania as I have only cruised on Seabourn but I am help you knock one of the "cons" off your Seabourn list. I am well aware of the fact that there were many issues with the Sojourn last year relating to service and food. What I can tell you is that those issues have been resolved.i disembarked from the Sojourn within the last two weeks and I can tell you not only is the ship in great shape but the crew were terrific and the food wonderful. In fact it was some of the best food in my 16 years on Seabourn. Yes, the ship will be going into drydock in late December but not because the furnishings are in poor condition. One of the main reasons for the drydock is to convert the R2 Restaurant to the TK Grill.

Sent from my iPad using Forums