Bacon Buttys, G&T's and Lemon Drop Martinis

nordski

On our just completed "British Open" Cruise, I followed through on some helpful suggestions from those wise in the matters of the title of this thread. Having welcomed the advice I received, and devoted my rather feeble resources to said advice, I'd like to report on our experiences.

1/ Bacon Butty: As it turned out, our taxi driver (Heathrow to Southampton) offered to introduce us to this sandwich and insisted it be the "real" item, not some upstart creation from a posh restaurant. We stopped at a location about the size of a caravan run by an older woman whose goal seemed to be to serve us as quickly as possible and then return to her lawn chair at the side for a much-needed cigarette.

Eating at the picnic table, that was provided at no extra charge, in the interests of science I tried one half with no brown sauce and half with the available condiment (H&P, the driver assured me was just an ostentatious brand name). For me, the one "with" was the best choice. The driver was correct. The butty wasn't "posh".

We also had a butty at the Edinburgh airport in a much more upscale bun. Have to say I preferred the one from the side of the road as it seemed more authentic to its roots.

I'd certainly eat one again.

2/ Gin &Tonic: "Pursuits" kept assuring me that Richard Twynam, who runs things in the British office, recommended Silent Pool as the on board gin of choice. The bar tender at Spirits insisted it be a double since that "would taste better". Some of you will have already anticipated the problem; yes, the tonic was the much disparaged Royal. I only have myself to blame as I had seen the ominous cans and should have brought some Schweppes on board.

Thus, I'm reluctant to pass final judgement although I would rather fancy it more if there had been equatorial temperatures, white suits, overhead fans and malarial mosquitoes.

However, on a cruise where some were researching ancestry, I was left with my own family question. Reminded by the flavour of the tonic, I wondered why, on earth, my mother had occasionally given me quinine tablets when a young lad.

Although that decision may well have fit her belief that effective medicine should never have a pleasant taste.

3/ Lemon Drop Martinis: I was not part of the conversation but, from a thread involving Mrs. Miggins and others, I took it that that Lemon Drop Martinis might be useful in in helping me approach the attractiveness of George Clooney.

Either the bartender in the Living Room was producing a poor version, or the subject of this experiment (me) presented far too difficult a challenge. Plying others with this potion, not only did I not reach anything like George Clooneyism, my wit and wisdom came nowhere near George Carlin. After high expectations, this was the most disappointing moment of the cruise.

Thus, of the three experiments only this one was, sadly, definitive.

Re: the lemon drop martinis... I recall the discussion about them awhile back, and I can't remember, was it determined that they are an included drink? One evening in the Living Room it caught my ear that someone seated near us was ordering one, and was told there was a charge for it. I couldn't remember the outcome from the thread, but thought I recalled that several people said it was included, even though not listed on the cocktail menu, because the ingredients were included.

Personally, I started at the beginning of the cocktail list and worked my way down as the cruise progressed... I really liked the Blue Wave.

Re: the quinine... we were never given that, but my mother was a big fan of castor oil for intestinal distress. It definitely will cure what ails you if you can get it down!

So funny

1. A roadside bacon butty will always be far superior to the Edinburgh Airport Wetherspoon franchise offerings

2. Silent Pool is an outstanding gin, but such a shame they did not nip ashore and buy you bottles of Fevertree to go with it as there is a tasting partnership offered in upmarket stores between these two.

3. Lemon Drop - Im with you on that one, I have tried it both on Azamara and on Celebrity Michaels club and how shall I put it - it does not ring my bell.....

But thanks to you for putting yourself forward in the research

You're funny

I can't speak on the Bacon Butty. I did however look them up when I read the previous thread. Sounds good. Hubby was close to buying an air ticket to try them out. He's driven that way...

We grew very fond of G&Ts while living in Hong Kong and dining with the Brits 4-5 nights a week. When we first got there we tried to stay true to our conservative alcohol consumption but after 2 weeks chucked that idea out window and simply kept up ;) Some of the best 3 years of our lives.

Lastly, Nordski, don't feel bad about that George Clooney wives tale. The hubs has tried it may times. Even experimented with some other spirits and just hasn't been able to get there. He thinks it's all smoke and mirrors

Edited by ceba

Mariano makes a mean Lemon Drop Martini. He was in Spirits Bar the last time we were on Journey.

Nordski, George Clooney has nothing on you but could you please tell me who George Carlin is? I regret I have never heard of him

BTW, it's HP, not H&P. It stands for Houses of Parliament, of which there is a picture on the label. It's widely available in Canada. Didn't know it was considered posh in England, lol!

It's not that it's considered posh, it's a branded brown sauce - supermarkets often sell their own brand of brown sauce, usually cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So funny

1. A roadside bacon butty will always be far superior to the Edinburgh Airport Wetherspoon franchise offerings

2. Silent Pool is an outstanding gin, but such a shame they did not nip ashore and buy you bottles of Fevertree to go with it as there is a tasting partnership offered in upmarket stores between these two.

3. Lemon Drop - Im with you on that one, I have tried it both on Azamara and on Celebrity Michaels club and how shall I put it - it does not ring my bell.....

But thanks to you for putting yourself forward in the research

Although, seemingly the woman preparing the roadside butty was in a foul mood, the driver assured us it wasn't personal but rather her typical demeanour. In fact, another regular(?) customer was treading very lightly in her presence.

And I shall agree, a better experience and product than that at the mechanistic Wetherspoon outlet.

Mariano makes a mean Lemon Drop Martini. He was in Spirits Bar the last time we were on Journey.

Nordski, George Clooney has nothing on you but could you please tell me who George Carlin is? I regret I have never heard of him

Thanks for your exceedingly kind comments which suggest that a/ you are enjoying a wonderful cruise on Quest, b/ the heat in the Med is taking its toll, or c/ both factors have come into play.

George Carlin was an exceptionally influential and award-winning American comic. His career involved many forms of media, but probably his greatest success was as a standup comedian noted for his initially playful but increasingly acerbic if not misanthropic comments on modern American culture.

Can't say if his comedy travels well to other cultures, but you can Google some of his routines with the proviso that some are NSFW.

Although Carlin's talents were truly impressive, somehow the ideal of George Clooney seems a far heavier lift. :)

It's not that it's considered posh, it's a branded brown sauce - supermarkets often sell their own brand of brown sauce, usually cheaper.

Thanks for the clarification.

Perhaps because he was a committed Brexiter, I think the driver was especially scornful that HP was now produced by Heinz.

and it was part of the included package. Mariano made one for me every night!

Hmmm.

So the case is not quite closed about this cocktail and its impact.

I need to return and test the skills of Mariano!

So, coincidentally, an outstanding historian creates an award in honour of George Carlin that reflects one of my pet peeves.

So, coincidentally, an outstanding historian creates an award in honour of George Carlin that reflects one of my pet peeves.

Thank you for educating me about the attributes of Mr Carlin. I will research.

Yes we have had a wonderful cruise on Quest which sadly is coming to an end. The weather has been incredibly hot and we would have liked to donate a few degrees to our CC compatriots on Journey who have not been so fortunate.

Being from the UK I have always had a soft spot for bacon butties (my tummy) but when talking UK the bacon will usually be back bacon where there is little in the way of fat.

Living happily in the USA for 31 years I make do with the streaky bacon sold here and endorse the Oscar Mayer brand (not the thick one). If I lack a crusty buttered French baguette then I reach for a Lender's onion bagel- toasted, not stirred. Frying the bacon in a stainless steel or cast iron pan is best but produces a lot of fat and a dishwasher must be used after mopping the pan with Bounty towels.

Microwaving between a layer of Bounty Towels ( I am contracted to use their superior product) requires cooking in stages to check for done-ness and the crisp factor. You do not want shrapnel shards of bacon as served in many cruise ship buffet trays- you want flexible bacon but with the fat seared and reduced.

I have HP sauce in my fridge (from Amazon ) but most often use ketchup.

I was happy to find English back-bacon on my Celebrity cruises (and hopefully Azamara) but they grilled it there and it was bone-dry.

Just my two pennies,

Norris, comfort food gourmand.

was a comic. not sure alive or not.. think dark hair. google him please.

Being from the UK I have always had a soft spot for bacon butties (my tummy) but when talking UK the bacon will usually be back bacon where there is little in the way of fat.

Living happily in the USA for 31 years I make do with the streaky bacon sold here and endorse the Oscar Mayer brand (not the thick one). If I lack a crusty buttered French baguette then I reach for a Lender's onion bagel- toasted, not stirred. Frying the bacon in a stainless steel or cast iron pan is best but produces a lot of fat and a dishwasher must be used after mopping the pan with Bounty towels.

Microwaving between a layer of Bounty Towels ( I am contracted to use their superior product) requires cooking in stages to check for done-ness and the crisp factor. You do not want shrapnel shards of bacon as served in many cruise ship buffet trays- you want flexible bacon but with the fat seared and reduced.

I have HP sauce in my fridge (from Amazon ) but most often use ketchup.

I was happy to find English back-bacon on my Celebrity cruises (and hopefully Azamara) but they grilled it there and it was bone-dry.

Just my two pennies,

Norris, comfort food gourmand.

Thanks for your comments.

In England this summer, for the first time I encountered "streaky" as an apt generic adjective and noun to describe the American product.

In your excellent description of preparing back bacon, I wondered if one detail is missing. Is there an appropriate attire that helps to bring out the best in this dish? :)

And, although I know there is a serious debate on the difference between back bacon and peameal bacon, one too esoteric for me to follow, I would point out that Toronto considers itself the "peameal capital of the world". If you could take a field trip, I would love to hear your assessment!

I have never heard of peameal bacon before. Is it a North American term - from what you say it sounds like it's similar to back bacon.

We always used to make our 'bacon sarnies' with back bacon, but have recently taken to using streaky as you can get it crispier - if you try to get back bacon really crispy, it can just get hard!

Thanks for your comments.

In England this summer, for the first time I encountered "streaky" as an apt generic adjective and noun to describe the American product.

In your excellent description of preparing back bacon, I wondered if one detail is missing. Is there an appropriate attire that helps to bring out the best in this dish? :)

And, although I know there is a serious debate on the difference between back bacon and peameal bacon, one too esoteric for me to follow, I would point out that Toronto considers itself the "peameal capital of the world". If you could take a field trip, I would love to hear your assessment!

Regarding appropriate attire for frying bacon -anything other than one's Birthday Suit is good. Bacon will splatter hot fat over you if cooked at too high a temperature. A splatter screen is a useful tool. I always start with a cold pan and gradual heat and wear an ermine trimmed smoking jacket and a monocle in much the same way as Sir Noel Coward would have fried his bacon.

Peameal bacon is bacon coated in cornmeal and I've eaten it in Ontario. Let me say this first, as I have the floor-bacon needs no assistance to make it taste good. And speaking of floor, the mouth-feel of peameal bacon is similar to dropping back bacon on the floor and then eating it without first dislodging the adhering dust bunnies that live down there.

That Toronto boasts of being the capital of the peameal world just gives me reason to give that city a wide berth on my next visit to that otherwise wonderful country.

Norris

I can indeed picture Sir Noel Coward EATING his bacon in a velvet smoking jacket and monocle, but I can't wrap my brain around the idea of him actually COOKING it -- or anything -- himself. Isn't that what 'help' is for?