Volcano Tour - And Also Kona question

Salem615

I do not plan on renting a car in Kona or Hilo as we are only there for the day.

We do want to take a tour to Volcano National Park. I have looked at several but am having a hard time deciding which to do. Anyone who has done the tour please let me know whih one you did and if you enjoyed it.

Kona - Has anyone walked to town/ I heard there was a hop on hop off shuttle that takes you to various sites. Any info would be helpful.

In Kona, the tender drops you off right in town on Ali'i St. It's a perfect street to stroll along the shore with places to eat, drink, schedule an excursion or check out gift shops.

There is also a small beach next to the pier that has little wave action and is pretty safe for swimming. They rent SUP's, kayaks and snorkel gear there also. There is also a rest room there.

There is little trolley in Kona, the Keauhou Honu Express Shuttle, that picks up at the pier and make several stops along about a 6 mile run down Alii Drive along the coast, then loops back . It's not much, just a hop-on/hop-off open trolley. Here's a link to the schedule which gives an idea of where it stops:

http://www.konaweb.com/forums/shuttle.shtml

It's not very exciting, but a very low-key and low-cost ($2 per person!) way to see a little local scenery.