Azamara Competitors??

QShip

We have had 5 or 6 cruises, on Celebrity and HAL, and are thinking of moving to an Azamara style of cruising. In trying to research the move we are having trouble determining which cruise lines are (roughly) comparable to Azamara.

Which cruise lines should we consider?

It's quite hard to find a true competitor to Azamara. Regent, Seabourne, Silversea and Crystal are all-inclusive, but their included drinks cover a full range of alcohol brands, whereas Azamara doesn't. Their prices are often higher than Azamara, which reflects their offer.

Viking Ocean is probably a reasonable competitor, but their included drinks are generally only wine, beer and soft drinks with meals.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

for me it would be Oceania as it is the same size ship. but they have drink packages. i had free internet and laundry on their ship .the lines that were mention by Grandma i do not compare as many have more guests;regent includes tours;cystral has more classes and lectures.. others not been on.

for me it would be Oceania as it is the same size ship. but they have drink packages. i had free internet and laundry on their ship .the lines that were mention by Grandma i do not compare as many have more guests;regent includes tours;cystral has more classes and lectures.. others not been on.

When we were looking to do our first "luxury" cruise, we only looked to Azamara and Oceania because the others looked too formal and less relaxed. Better deals seem to be available on Azamara, but matching up itineraries with dates we can travel is sometimes problematic for us. We'd do either, but we'll still do some mass market line cruising on Celebrity, Princess, or Royal Caribbean if they make sense.

I agree that Oceania would be comparable, although less inclusive. I've sailed once on Azamara and once on Oceania, and preferred Oceania. We booked on Azamara for a cruise next year, though, because it was a good itinerary at a good price, and was a PerryGolf cruise so my husband will get his golf fix. Oceania offered a similar itinerary, and the "cruise only" price was more than Azamara, but the "O Life" price with included airfare, internet and the option of OBC/beverage package/shore excursions would have been a very good deal. Plus they also offered an upgrade to premium economy air for $149.

I'd pick where you'd like to go, find some itineraries and compare from there.

I would agree Oceania and Azamara would be comparable lines. Our cruising history was Princess, then HAL and then Celebrity We had done two Azamara cruises and in 2015 decided to try Oceania. We found the people on Oceania were older and not as friendly as Azamara at all! Service was cold and spotty. Veranda room and bath was beautiful on Oceania, but we were not happy and went back to Azamara after ships were refurbished and were happy again!

I agree that Oceania would be comparable, although less inclusive. I've sailed once on Azamara and once on Oceania, and preferred Oceania. We booked on Azamara for a cruise next year, though, because it was a good itinerary at a good price, and was a PerryGolf cruise so my husband will get his golf fix. Oceania offered a similar itinerary, and the "cruise only" price was more than Azamara, but the "O Life" price with included airfare, internet and the option of OBC/beverage package/shore excursions would have been a very good deal. Plus they also offered an upgrade to premium economy air for $149.

I read your review. As I was on the cruise before you I thought some things were very weird. never had a problem getting served anything anywhere. Know Ryszard does a great job of fixing things. Oceania is stuffy and i got very tired of correcting peopel what my name. I took the OBC vs all the "O" crap and enjoy spending the money on what i wanted too. i always book my own flights. what ever happened to bus class? you were in europe long way home in a tiny seat.

We've only had one Azamara and one Oceania cruise, but I found the Azamara one much more relaxed and friendly, including the staff and officers, than on Oceania. In that sense, if you're interested in the South Pacific at all, the Paul Gauguin is comparable in style, and ambience, although the ship is smaller. That experience is intimate, quite luxurious, all-inclusive and are experts at the destination. That's the only other line I can think of.

As for "luxury", neither Azamara nor Oceania are quite in the luxury category, at least officially.

Azamara is the only line that will add points to your Celebrity Captain's Club accounts. That makes it a no-brainer for your first experiment at this level: if you don't like it, you can go back to Celebrity with all those extra points to your credit.

I have researched all the lines mentioned, and rejected almost all of them for one reason (too formal) or another (Oceania itinerary changes and bad docking locations). We are trying Viking next year, but paying much more than on Azamara and Viking itineraries are very limited and basic compared to Azamara's country-intensive focus.

The only other line I continue to research is Crystal, which offers a large range of cabin types (with a range of prices) and is about to reduce the number of passengers on both of their existing ocean ships to allow anytime dining and an even more spacious feel.

Excellent advice!

I'd also not be too swayed by views here. Work out what matters to you and what would be a nice "extra" over what you currently have.

Watch also that posts on all the cruiseline boards will also depend on what type of room the person usually has and what matters to them (officer interaction or not, unlimited free drink, high end catering, shows etc etc etc).

My comparisons when I'm making them are all the lines where the ships are between 400 and 1000 guests because small size is what really matters to me.

As usual, this can get complicated. In general Oceania and Azamara are in direct competition, somewhat below the luxury lines like Regent. The luxury lines in general tend to have more space per passenger and more staff per passenger, both of which are good things but in general you pay for them. But, for some specific cruises if you compare the all-in cost of, say, Regent, to a comparable offering from Azamara, they end up almost the same price. This isn't common, but does happen from time to time.

So, as hiccups said, start with the itinerary. And when you compare, be sure to do the cost analysis on an "all-in" basis.

So, as hiccups said, start with the itinerary. And when you compare, be sure to do the cost analysis on an "all-in" basis.

Very true. We have had a wonderful Oceania b2b cruise in the Caribbean which was slightly cheaper than the comparable Celebrity cruise in Aqua class.

Oceania's older ships are comparable to Azamara's, but I like the two newer and larger Oceania ships much better. A new build tends to have better technical equipment. For our Japan cruise, the old and venerable Quest is not my preferred ship but her itinerary is.

I read your review. As I was on the cruise before you I thought some things were very weird. never had a problem getting served anything anywhere. Know Ryszard does a great job of fixing things. Oceania is stuffy and i got very tired of correcting peopel what my name. I took the OBC vs all the "O" crap and enjoy spending the money on what i wanted too. i always book my own flights. what ever happened to bus class? you were in europe long way home in a tiny seat.

I shouldn't be surprised that people seem to not believe what we experienced, or rather, didn't experience, on Azamara. Each board has posters that doubt or question those that don't see their preferred line the way that they do. But what can I say, we didn't get the expected level of friendly service, nor outstanding food. As I said, we're sailing again on Azamara, but I preferred the ship (Riviera) and food on Oceania. Service for us was about the same on the two lines, with Oceania receiving a very slight edge when it came to dining service. I could continue to give examples of the service we received on our cruise, or issues with the food, but there's really no point.

The nice thing about O Life is you can pick what works best for you. I prefer the shore excursions, and some prefer the beverage package. It's great there's a choice so people can decide what works best for them. And if someone doesn't want anything, they can do cruise-only. Although at least for the cruise itinerary comparable to what we've booked on Azamara next year, Oceania's cruise-only price was more than Azamara, so not at all a good deal since tips and alcohol would not be included on Oceania. I'm going with who gives the most bang for our buck, and for next year's cruise, that was Azamara. I hope our experience next year is better.

Business class still exists, if you want to pay for it--we don't want to pay $3000-4000 each for our airfare. At that point, we'd just sail on Regent, since they include business class air, all alcohol and shore excursions. Our seats were premium economy, so a little bit more room for a little bit more money.

I shouldn't be surprised that people seem to not believe what we experienced, or rather, didn't experience, on Azamara. Each board has posters that doubt or question those that don't see their preferred line the way that they do. But what can I say, we didn't get the expected level of friendly service, nor outstanding food. As I said, we're sailing again on Azamara, but I preferred the ship (Riviera) and food on Oceania. Service for us was about the same on the two lines, with Oceania receiving a very slight edge when it came to dining service. I could continue to give examples of the service we received on our cruise, or issues with the food, but there's really no point.

this is the first time i realized you meant the O class ship. Must of missed that. I really like the Red Ginger restuarant. i went 4 times last winter when on a Tahiti cruise. But my name is not Meyers but Robin and it got old telling everyone. there are some meals or some dishes i do not like on AZ. But the level of service was great this summer. my concern was that it was the next cruise and not that many staff changed and i just felt these are great people who work hard. I just wondered what happened.

The nice thing about O Life is you can pick what works best for you. I prefer the shore excursions, and some prefer the beverage package. It's great there's a choice so people can decide what works best for them. And if someone doesn't want anything, they can do cruise-only. Although at least for the cruise itinerary comparable to what we've booked on Azamara next year, Oceania's cruise-only price was more than Azamara, so not at all a good deal since tips and alcohol would not be included on Oceania. I'm going with who gives the most bang for our buck, and for next year's cruise, that was Azamara. I hope our experience next year is better.

I do hope the service is better for you. Maybe crew will remember you and that helps a lot. As i said I took the OBC . I drank 3 drinks a day so the package would be a joke. I use the spa too.

Business class still exists, if you want to pay for it--we don't want to pay $3000-4000 each for our airfare. At that point, we'd just sail on Regent, since they include business class air, all alcohol and shore excursions. Our seats were premium economy, so a little bit more room for a little bit more money.

honestly i do not compare the price of the cabins but always flew bus class to Europe. I compare which airlines go to where I need to be as i live in NC and have trouble with connecting flights. That is my main goal when I pick flights

As Oceania is coming on our budget radar more and more this is very helpful. From what you are saying the missing things are not deal breakers for us. They can get my name wrong in return for saving $3000 which looks like being the case in something we are looking at - and yes I've factored in all the perks I don't get!

They can get my name wrong in return for saving $3000 which looks like being the case in something we are looking at - and yes I've factored in all the perks I don't get!

Oh, that made me smile! They could call me anything if I could save that much! Sadly the price of a Med cruise for 2018 is double that of our first Azamara cruise in 2013. As such, to me, it's no longer a holiday option as I can't justify it as value for money.

Excellent advice!

I'd also not be too swayed by views here. Work out what matters to you and what would be a nice "extra" over what you currently have.

Watch also that posts on all the cruiseline boards will also depend on what type of room the person usually has and what matters to them (officer interaction or not, unlimited free drink, high end catering, shows etc etc etc). Manhattan Cruise Terminal Anxiety

My comparisons when I'm making them are all the lines where the ships are between 400 and 1000 guests because small size is what really matters to me.

I agree. You have to prioritize what is important to you. We have cruised with Azamara, Viking and Oceania and like all three. Our priority is the itinerary, ship size and lack of formality. We will not sail on ships with more than 1500 people or where you need to dress for dinner and are assigned a seating. Of course, price plays into the equation as well. Azamara is the most informal and the most fun in my opinion but with only 2 ships they have limited options with itineraries. Viking has the most beautiful ships and Oceania has the good food which may be slipping. Oceania also has ridiculously overpriced excursion and drinks. I think you would have a great time on any of these.

Having cruised on Azamara, Oceania and Viking I would agree they are all in much the same league and each individual must evaluate what part of a cruise is most important to them. If it's food then Oceania would be number 1, if it's a new, smart ship with great cabins then it would be Viking, if it's great destinations with the friendliest and best crew at sea then it's Azamara.

For me it would be Azamara first, then Viking and lastly Oceania, but they are all excellent and offer a great cruise experience.

Just got off Quest on Saturday and we had such a wonderful time. We can't wait to be back on the equally fabulous Journey with great friends in October and are counting down the days already! 😄

Having cruised on Azamara, Oceania and Viking I would agree they are all in much the same league and each individual must evaluate what part of a cruise is most important to them. If it's food then Oceania would be number 1, if it's a new, smart ship with great cabins then it would be Viking, if it's great destinations with the friendliest and best crew at sea then it's Azamara.

For me it would be Azamara first, then Viking and lastly Oceania, but they are all excellent and offer a great cruise experience.

Just got off Quest on Saturday and we had such a wonderful time. We can't wait to be back on the equally fabulous Journey with great friends in October and are counting down the days already!

Why would you say the food is better on Oceania and what is better about Azamara itineraries?

Pricing is different across the board and the key is finding a travel agent who does large volume business with each line (and they would have to be different) to get better group rates or more perks and then pass those along to the customer.

I would say that I am pretty agnostic when it comes to choosing a cruise line and have no blind loyalties and I really don't care about elite levels because I can make those up and then some finding a good TA for each line. I have one for Princess, another for Celebrity, and third new one I found for Azamara. We look first to where we want to go and then look at cruise lines to see which has the best combination of itinerary and pricing. I would like to know the difference in dining between Azamara and Oceania, even if it's only a small element of my choice. I suppose I can always see itineraries for myself. For example, we want to go to Southeast Asia but cannot travel January to March. Azamara does an immersion cruise late October of 2019. Oceania only goes there from January to March. My decision was made for me.

Why would you say the food is better on Oceania and what is better about Azamara itineraries?

It's just my opinion. I have sailed on all three cruise lines, plus many more in the true luxury group.

It is also generally accepted that Oceania food is very good, but I don't necessarily think it is always better than Azamara. It really depends on the Chef onboard on your cruise and of course, food is always a subjective opinion.

As for itineraries....also my opinion, Azamara do more overnight stays, call at smaller ports and have more late departures than most other cruise lines. I have been to Port Vendres (nearby Collioure is lovely), Bonifacio last week, my favourite port of Sanary sur Mer, lovely Nauplion in Greece and I'm going to Sete in 2018 with Azamara. These ports are hard to find with other cruise lines who tend to stick to the "usual suspects".

I make no secret of the fact that I love the Azamara experience but I'm not blind to their shortcomings and there are a few of them. I cruise on other lines too, but I keep coming back to Azamara because I love it. However, I have to say that the huge price hikes in 2019, coupled with the lack of Med itineraries may make me look elsewhere.

I know this has been going on for years now but we heard very firm rumours on Quest last week that Larry Pimentel is actively looking for a third ship. Another R class ship was mentioned but personally I feel this is a mistake. None of these R class ships are getting any younger and if Azamara are to be in competition with the new Viking ships in particular, they have to go for a more modern ship. Not necessarily a new build, but certainly younger than the R class ships.

Again, my opinion only. I know some people would love a third R class ship for Azamara.

Thanks Lottie A. I appreciate your insights. The price I am paying for Azamara seems very high and I am hoping for price reductions along the way (two years out). I can see why some regular customers are looking elsewhere. For us, it just came down to a particular date and a particular itinerary, along with $1,700 OBC from the TA.

I've posted in a few threads that I greatly preferred the food on Oceania, plus the specialty restaurants aren't an extra charge.

I like that Azamara has late port departures so you have more time on shore if you want to take advantage of it.

One thing that is special about Azamara is that because it is a small ship it can get to places that larger ships can't. Examples are - Ho Chi Minh City - the ship goes right up the river and moors up in town rather than a couple of hours away; Bangkok - ship goes up the Choa Praya river and moors in town; Seville - ship moors in the river right in the middle of the town.

Sent from my iPad using Forums