Veendam - redeployed July 2018it

YORKI1

FYI - I tried to book a cruise today for 14 nights, leaving Boston on the 14 July 2018 and sailing to Bermuda, returning to Boston and then onto Montreal. HAL informed me that the Veendam has been redeployed and will not be sailing this itinerary.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news if you have booked this cruise.

Edited by YORKI1
additiion to text.

I just got my Cruise Catalog in the mail today, and do see that the Veendam is sailing Cuba itineraries but they all seem to be in Jan/Feb/Mar/Apr before moving on to the Canada/Bermuda runs. Would seem odd to switch back to Cuba in July unless the rest of the schedule beyond that trip is changing.

Perhaps a charter?

FYI - I tried to book a cruise today for 14 nights, leaving Boston on the 14 July 2018 and sailing to Bermuda, returning to Boston and then onto Montreal. HAL informed me that the Veendam has been redeployed and will not be sailing this itinerary.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news if you have booked this cruise.

We have this same itinerary for June 16, 2018 booked. I have not heard anything differently.:o

Curious since I have a cruise booked on Veendam in August 2018, I tried to do a dummy booking on the HAL website for the cruise OP mentioned, which is before mine. Website said sorry this itinerary is no longer available. So then I tried my cruise on 11 August. Same thing. I started a trial booking on this cruise on Friday night just fine when I was discussing E4 with my mother. Our April 2018 cruise on Maasdam still works though. Looks like we'll be calling our PCC tomorrow to see if we can get more info. Perhaps Veendam's finally been sold.

Curious since I have a cruise booked on Veendam in August 2018, I tried to do a dummy booking on the HAL website for the cruise OP mentioned, which is before mine. Website said sorry this itinerary is no longer available. So then I tried my cruise on 11 August. Same thing.

I tried to book the Veendam August 11, 2018 NE/Canada cruise that included ports in Newfoundland when I was on the Prinsendam a few weeks ago. The Future Cruise Consultant told me she had just gotten notification that the cruise was changed to a Cuba itinerary.

I booked the August 22 cruise instead.

Even though the NE/Canada 8/11 cruise has remained on the schedule, it appears that the FCC was correct.

I tried to book the Veendam August 11, 2018 NE/Canada cruise that included ports in Newfoundland when I was on the Prinsendam a few weeks ago. The Future Cruise Consultant told me she had just gotten notification that the cruise was changed to a Cuba itinerary.

I booked the August 22 cruise instead.

Even though the NE/Canada 8/11 cruise has remained on the schedule, it appears that the FCC was correct.

Crud. I'd do Cuba (although August? Really?) but my mother will not. The Canada cruise being a no-go isn't a fatal problem for me, especially this far out, but if this isn't exactly news to HAL, it would be nice of them to let us know. Only thing I can think of is if they were waiting to see if/what the current administration's changes in Cuba policy are going to be.

Anyway, thanks for the info Ruth!

I just checked the travel agent booking system - all sailings between 8/4/18 and 9/1/18 have been completely removed, which is roughly a 4 week period, so something is definitely afoot. Given the time needed to reposition from BOS to FLL for a very limited number of "normal" Cuba runs it seems a silly use of resource, but maybe they are going to do 2-3 longer cruises from BOS that include Cuba, or something along those lines ..... will be an interesting situation to keep an eye on!

For those booked on these dates - make sure you wait to be contacted by your TA or HAL with the "move-over" offer. If you cancel/rebook before that is given you will be ineligible for any OBC or other benefit HAL may offer you

I just checked the travel agent booking system - all sailings between 8/4/18 and 9/1/18 have been completely removed, which is roughly a 4 week period, so something is definitely afoot. Given the time needed to reposition from BOS to FLL for a very limited number of "normal" Cuba runs it seems a silly use of resource, but maybe they are going to do 2-3 longer cruises from BOS that include Cuba, or something along those lines ..... will be an interesting situation to keep an eye on!

For those booked on these dates - make sure you wait to be contacted by your TA or HAL with the "move-over" offer. If you cancel/rebook before that is given you will be ineligible for any OBC or other benefit HAL may offer you

Maybe a drydock? Cuba in the middle of summer just seems so odd to me, especially when she'll already be up north. Appreciate your info, and thank you too of course to OP for the heads up!

from the looks of it with the schedule the Veendam will most likely be gone--until it actually happens and HAL gets that last penny of profit out of her I'll believe it when I see it ..it is still showing that it is coming down the east coast back to Ft lauderdale in October ... and the Maasdam will stay as it dodges another bullet and gets a reprieve.. have to say we were on the Maasdam ( still our favorite ship) in May for 14 days.. it was definitely 'lookin good'.. best shape we've seen it in in a long time.. I see it is scheduled to head on out to Polynesia in 2017-2018

Edited by Stakeout

---- and the Maasdam will stay as it dodges another bullet and gets a reprieve.. have to say we were on the Maasdam ( still our favorite ship) in May for 14 days.. it was definitely 'lookin good'.. best shape we've seen it in in a long time.. I see it is scheduled to head on out to Polynesia in 2017-2018

We booked the Maasdam for 3/19. She's the 1st HAL ship we sailed and hoping for one last cruise on her!

Will be on The Maasdam this February for a month! Was told while on The Eurodam last September when we booked her on board that Maasdam and Veendam are on the market.

I will trust Copper10-1 if he responds with any updates.

It's a go for our cruise and our PCC has said she's still doing the South Pacific April too!

Denise:)

There's one thing that might come into this mix. My understanding when SS Rotterdam left the fleet and became the Rembrandt she complied with (or could easily become compliant) with SOLAS requirements but could not have continued to meet requirements for Dutch registration without extensive modifications. I wonder if that comes into play with the R ships and Prinsendam.

Roy

There's one thing that might come into this mix. My understanding when SS Rotterdam left the fleet and became the Rembrandt she complied with (or could easily become compliant) with SOLAS requirements but could not have continued to meet requirements for Dutch registration without extensive modifications. I wonder if that comes into play with the R ships and Prinsendam.

Roy

Roy, I think that you meant S class (and not R class).

I had been watching the Veendam on the HAL site for a couple of months, waiting to see if there would be an Atlantic Adventure in fall 2018. I had suspected she was going to Cuba and they were trying to work things out with the Trump administration. I went to Havana independently in February, sad if people couldn't go around on their own if they wanted to.