Azamara will not return my deposit on a cancelled cruise. Need Help!

IsanTom

I booked a TA almost 2 years ago and deposited $1100. I cancelled this cruise because my wife and I wanted to leave from Rome instead of Barcelona. They charged me $100 for the cancellation, so no

problem. My c/c had been re-issued, so numbers are different. Azamara has notified my TA that

my credit was processed on 6/29/17 for $1000. I contacted my bank the other day and said no credit

had been received. They said (my bank) if the card number had changed it would bounce back to Azamara

and they would issue me a check. Azamara told my TA they would not issue a check. My TA gave them

my new card number and they just told him they would not credit to a different number. I am in Thailand,

so I can't call them. What should I do? Have any of you had the same problem. I am Diamond with RCCL,

so I'm something with Azamara? Any help would be appreciated.:(

I guess they are being careful about security - they may be wary because a change of card number could be identity fraud.

Your RCCL level would make you Discoverer level on Azamara - it may be worth joining LCV online, that might help with proof of identity, and you could then ask the LCV ambassador to help you. You can enrol here https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/le-club-voyage/enrolment

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I guess they are being careful about security - they may be wary because a change of card number could be identity fraud.

Your RCCL level would make you Discoverer level on Azamara - it may be worth joining LCV online, that might help with proof of identity, and you could then ask the LCV ambassador to help you. You can enrol here https://www.azamaraclubcruises.co.uk/le-club-voyage/enrolment

I've never seen a credit to a different card. I get 2% back on my Visa. Why wouldn't I make large charges on it and then return the items on a card that gave me nothing so I'd still keep the 2%? Merchants just won't do that.

I don't think IsanTom is talking about a different card - I think he means the same card but re-issued with a different number, probably because its expiry date had passed.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, that is correct. I booked the cruise in May 2015 for 11/4/17 (TA). I am already registered with Le Voyage Club, but I can't open the account because maybe when I cancelled they cancelled Le Voyage Club. In any case, anybody have a direct email to them (Le Voyage) and I will send them an email. I just sent Azamara an email through the website, so I'll let you all know if I get a response in the next few days. I guess they don't want me to cruise with them in the future. Thanks for all of your assistance.

I don't think IsanTom is talking about a different card - I think he means the same card but re-issued with a different number, probably because its expiry date had passed.

The merchant just sees it's a different number and may not be able to tell whether it's the same or a different account. Had that problem when my account was compromised and was given a replacement card with a different number.

I booked a TA almost 2 years ago and deposited $1100. I cancelled this cruise because my wife and I wanted to leave from Rome instead of Barcelona. They charged me $100 for the cancellation, so no

problem. My c/c had been re-issued, so numbers are different. Azamara has notified my TA that

my credit was processed on 6/29/17 for $1000. I contacted my bank the other day and said no credit

had been received. They said (my bank) if the card number had changed it would bounce back to Azamara

and they would issue me a check. Azamara told my TA they would not issue a check. My TA gave them

my new card number and they just told him they would not credit to a different number. I am in Thailand,

so I can't call them. What should I do? Have any of you had the same problem. I am Diamond with RCCL,

so I'm something with Azamara? Any help would be appreciated.:(

I think since you booked using a travel agent that your travel agent should be doing the leg work for you. Why won't Azamara issue a credit via check or other form of payment? Your TA should have been told....Azamara can't just say "well, that's it then, the money is ours" - did they give any other explanation or options to your travel agent?

For security reasons, they will only refund to the same credit card used for deposit. If it is refunded to a closed account, the credit card company should have no problem issuing you a check. They received the money back from Azamara and it's yours. I have had this happen before and requested the check without any problem. If you still have a card with that company, then you should have the option to have the credit moved to your new account or have the check issued. I would investigate further with your credit card company. I have never heard of it being sent back on a closed account.

For security reasons, they will only refund to the same credit card used for deposit. .

I had the same problem. After satisfying the airlines that I was the same person that had the credit card that was cancelled, they eventually sent me a check.

I worked with the credit card company who had the credit showing on my cancelled account. Eventually the airline representative sent me a check rather than transferring the credit to my current account.

Computers only recognizes "x"s and "o"s and more often than not, humans do the same. You will get your money back - but not instantly!

The title of this thread is a bit misleading. It reads like Azamara is very wiling to return your deposit and has in fact already done so. Under Visa and MasterCard scheme rules, a refund should appear on a card even if it has been cancelled *or* be automatically transferred to your replacement card by the issuer of your card. Visa and MasterCard do not allow merchants to process refunds to a card number that's different from the original transaction. Azamara can not change that no matter who or how often you ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I had the same problem. After satisfying the airlines that I was the same person that had the credit card that was cancelled, they eventually sent me a check.

I worked with the credit card company who had the credit showing on my cancelled account. Eventually the airline representative sent me a check rather than transferring the credit to my current account.

Computers only recognizes "x"s and "o"s and more often than not, humans do the same. You will get your money back - but not instantly!

Sounds correct, even if the account is cancelled, the credit card company should be sending you a check for the credit amount. Believe Azamara did the correct thing and you should be contacting your credit card company which should show a negative balance on your old cancelled account and thus send you a check for the "over credit" For an open account when I received a late credit with no balance to offset, requested a check and had it within a week and should work identically for a closed account.

Good luck,

Sounds correct, even if the account is cancelled, the credit card company should be sending you a check for the credit amount. Believe Azamara did the correct thing and you should be contacting your credit card company which should show a negative balance on your old cancelled account and thus send you a check for the "over credit" For an open account when I received a late credit with no balance to offset, requested a check and had it within a week and should work identically for a closed account.

Good luck,

Thanks Dave! My bank account has been open 20+ years. My card expired because it had been 2 years

since I made the deposit on this cruise (4/24/15), so my new card number is for the same account.

I still have not heard from Azamara, so I am sending an email to Le Voyage Club today. I will keep everyone aware until this problem is resolved. Thanks everyone!

PS: I just noticed BB Maclaird has been in touch with Azamara, so I am sending an email to them now.

Edited by IsanTom
Add PS