Silver Spirits Beverage Packageed

sabrefan

Will be sailing on transatlantic cruise in November for the first time on Viking. Looking at the Silver Spirits Beverage Package that they offer which costs $219/pp. Wondering if this is worth while since there is beer and wine available at lunch and dinner?

On the Viking web site the package description says that the mini bar is replenished daily. We have a deluxe verandah cabin and I wonder if they put alcohol in your mini bar if you buy the Silver SpiritsPackage?

Looking for experienced feedback on this.

Best feature is that you get a wider premium selection of wines with this package. I never buy it because I only have an occasional cocktail and my wife only wants a different wine a couple nights. At 8 or so euros a pop for the extra drinks we'd each need to be having several a day to break even. My cruise bar bill has never exceeded $50. If you're a serious wine aficionado and like Viking's upgrades, it's probably worth it.

We have done the Silver Spirits and thought it was well worth it. Upgraded wines, cocktails and "whenever" drinks, plus the staff really seems to spoil you a bit more when you have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have done the Silver Spirits and thought it was well worth it. Upgraded wines' date=' cocktails and "whenever" drinks, plus the staff really seems to spoil you a bit more when you have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/quote']

Definitely, on the star, our favorite server would recommend different drinks to try. So we did, if I didn't like it, then I didn't finish it and ordered something else

We have done the Silver Spirits and thought it was well worth it. Upgraded wines' date=' cocktails and "whenever" drinks, plus the staff really seems to spoil you a bit more when you have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/quote']

I agree. The "whenever" drinks are very nice to have. Wine paring in Chef's table is incomparable to non package plus you have a special glass for each wine/drink. Sorry, I know that some people don't care about that but we like it and do the same at home.

I also tried Armagnac I never tried before. Kier (spell?) from Torshavn ( Viking Star) introduced me to it and I loved it. BTW, he is very nice guy.

If you have a Silver Package, you don't need to worry about mini bar. We used 1 mini bottle of vodka for DIY air fresher to stabilize essential oils. That was it. You have any kind of drinks anywhere including Mimosa with breakfast ;) that there is no time to use mini bar.

We just did the included wine and beer with lunch and dinner and we were in a DV which doesn't have alcohol replenished. We were very happy. We are not afficionados by any means but we had more than enough. You can even go to the buffet and ask for wine or beer "to go" during meal hours and they will give you a couple of glasses. We would do that and then go to the show, then to dinner. You can also bring onboard wine (or, I understand, beer or liquor..we didn't) and they not only don't care they give you a corkscrew and wineglasses. We bought a few bottles in port and stored them in our minibar. Unfortunately we didn't drink them all....the includeds were fine. So I guess it depends on what you want!

I agree. The "whenever" drinks are very nice to have. Wine paring in Chef's table is incomparable to non package plus you have a special glass for each wine/drink. Sorry, I know that some people don't care about that but we like it and do the same at home.

I also tried Armagnac I never tried before. Kier (spell?) from Torshavn ( Viking Star) introduced me to it and I loved it. BTW, he is very nice guy.

If you have a Silver Package, you don't need to worry about mini bar. We used 1 mini bottle of vodka for DIY air fresher to stabilize essential oils. That was it. You have any kind of drinks anywhere including Mimosa with breakfast ;) that there is no time to use mini bar.

We agree. Love the opportunity to try premium and exotic wines and cocktails. But to each his/her own.

The Silver Spirits package would cost us $40 per day, and DW doesn't drink. So I'm thinking I will buy a bottle of wine every other day and as long as they average less than $80 per bottle I'll come out ahead.

That is $39.85 per day for both of you, since everyone in the cabin must buy the package.

And there lies the rub. With one non-cocktail drinker, the $40/day package is expensive unless you're in love with the premium wine selection. I found buying an occasional premium glass of wine for my wife was very inexpensive. My 3 cocktails per cruise were also reasonably priced (that was river; I had included nips in my PV cabin).

Note also that without the package, you spend $50/couple for the premium wine selection at Chef's Table. We passed but our dinner companions on the package said the pairings were excellent.

It's a difficult decision, particularly on longer itineraries it really adds up.

We are not heavy drinkers, but we do enjoy nice wines, and having a cocktail or two while on vacation. We have discussed whether to go for it or not on this next sailing, and still haven't made a decision. :rolleyes:

I think it also depends how "busy" the cruise will be. A few sea days and mid morning excursions might increase the likely hood of an afternoon cocktail or before bed cognac!!!! If you are gone from 7am to 5pm everyday ...probably not worth it!

We are in no way wine experts but I could tell on some occasions that the premium wines were more enjoyable especially in the Chef's Table venue.

To me $20 a day per person is less than the cost of 2 premium drinks on any other ship I have been on. Even off the ship every day I will have 2 glasses of wine in the evening. Sometimes I may have a pre dinner premium martini or a decaf Irish Coffee or glass of port with dessert. I have asked my Viking person who booked me for some more details on this package. I don't drink much but I really do want what I drink to be of a higher quality.

FWIW, we hadn't planned on buying the Silver Spirits package because as other's have said, Viking's cocktail prices are so reasonable but our TA included an onboard credit for our spring transatlantic and since other than massages, we can't figure out what we would use it for, we are now planning on buying the SS package once we board. Like others have said, this will upgrade the wines at meals which will be welcome but not necessary and will us to try some new things...thanks VNB2003 for mentioning Armagnac, I was worried it might not be covered...but glad to hear it is. Looking forward to trying it out, especially after watching Karine's video about it...speaking of Karine, shall I plan on her greeting me each morning at breakfast, or does she only come out at night? LOL

I do have to disagree with VNB2003 about the inroom consumption. I was pleased to learn that buying the package means our mini bar will get replenished, I feel sure we will enjoy at least ONE afternoon on the balcony sipping a G&T!

That is $39.85 per day for both of you, since everyone in the cabin must buy the package.

I'm really sorry to hear that everyone in the cabin must purchase the SS package! I don't drink, but my husband likes higher grade scotches and sometimes an upgraded wine with dinner. We are booked on the Sun next June for our first Viking experience. He was planning on buying the SS package for himself. We are accustomed to upgrading my husband's drink package on Celebrity, while I have never had to do so. This goes into the "con" column when we are comparing the lines after we sail on the Sun.

I'm really sorry to hear that everyone in the cabin must purchase the SS package! I don't drink, but my husband likes higher grade scotches and sometimes an upgraded wine with dinner. We are booked on the Sun next June for our first Viking experience. He was planning on buying the SS package for himself. We are accustomed to upgrading my husband's drink package on Celebrity, while I have never had to do so. This goes into the "con" column when we are comparing the lines after we sail on the Sun.

Since not all drinks are free under the package, maybe you don't want the drinks package at all. It would be helpful for you to know what the cost is of the various higher end scotches that your husband is interested in, especially the ones served in Torshavn and the cost by the glass for the premium wines before you make your decision. Perhaps someone has pictures of the current bar menu and the current Torshavn menu that they can share a link to and perhaps someone can tell us the current by the glass prices of the premium wines.

Since not all drinks are free under the package, maybe you don't want the drinks package at all. It would be helpful for you to know what the cost is of the various higher end scotches that your husband is interested in, especially the ones served in Torshavn and the cost by the glass for the premium wines before you make your decision. Perhaps someone has pictures of the current bar menu and the current Torshavn menu that they can share a link to and perhaps someone can tell us the current by the glass prices of the premium wines.

I questioned Viking about the higher priced drinks in Torshavn and was told that drinks there that are also available at other bars on board are the same price but the premium drinks, that only the club has, will be more.

.thanks VNB2003 for mentioning Armagnac, I was worried it might not be covered...but glad to hear it is. Looking forward to trying it out, especially after watching Karine's video about it...speaking of Karine, shall I plan on her greeting me each morning at breakfast, or does she only come out at night? LOL

I do have to disagree with VNB2003 about the inroom consumption. I was pleased to learn that buying the package means our mini bar will get replenished, I feel sure we will enjoy at least ONE afternoon on the balcony sipping a G&T!

You are welcome :) Both vsop and 10 years included in the package.

As for the inroom consumption I am all for it and we also thought we will be sipping a cocktail on the balcony...but in reality we didn't have time in a room nor couldn't have another drink...LOL. The lounges are so nice and the view is so beautiful...and you don't need to make a drink yourself ;)

I questioned Viking about the higher priced drinks in Torshavn and was told that drinks there that are also available at other bars on board are the same price but the premium drinks, that only the club has, will be more.

We had a Silver Package and there is a note on the page where you buy it that drinks are free for you IF the serving is $15.00 or less or the bottle less than $50.00 (I believe you could have a drink from the bottle that's cost less than $50.00).

I also find it surprising that this is the policy since I keep hearing how VIking treats us like "Adults".

As they seem to be a company that is not afraid to listen in on CC and respond to what their customers want perhaps they will rethink this all or none beverage package upgrade policy.

I just don't see what they are worried about with the type of passenger they attract. I can't imagine Viking Cruisers are the kind to take advantage of a system for a mere $20 a day. I mean especially since we can bring on anything we want and drink it anywhere on the ship!

Personally, I think people would take advantage.

on our WC everyone will receive the Silver Spirit package (thankfully) but if we were NON drinkers I may be thinking I should get something else....a massage?

Personally, I think people would take advantage.

on our WC everyone will receive the Silver Spirit package (thankfully) but if we were NON drinkers I may be thinking I should get something else....a massage?

Absolutely too many people would take advantage if only one person bought the Silver Spirits package. Waiters are there to serve and please, not to police folks cheating on SS for one, "Just a sip or 2 of that delicious premium wine."

"Let's get one more and carry it back to the lounge/room (where we can share)."

Don't blame Viking at all even though in my case it would be great.

It would sure be helpful if we could have some actual examples of the current brands of included wines vs those on the package......(understanding that they will be changing over time).....examples would allow those of us on the fence to get an idea of what an actual upgraded wine truly looks like.

On our previous Viking cruises we were in ports consistent with good wine territories to bring on board. Not all of the expanded itineraries offer these types of ports. Our upcoming one does not.

Does anyone have this type of information? Even just a few examples would be really helpful so we could do a little homework.

Cocktails price points/offerings have been well posted... I may have missed it on the wine comparisons......thanks much!!!