Is Space on Free Excursions Guaranteed?...

harryw

I was on an Ocean Cruise where they did show that one of the included tours was sold out but I think everyone was eventually able to join the included tour but not at the time they wanted.

One of the many things I liked about my experience was that they never filled the buses. Once the bus had was filled to between 60% and 75% the bus would depart and they would start loading the next. That was great as it kept things moving at each subsequent stop. It might have been that it was a Mediterranean Cruise in January but hopefully I will experience the same thing in my Homelands Cruise in September.

As far as I know, everyone was accommodated on our June cruise. In timing is important to you, however, keep in mind that the time may change a little once you get on board. Only one of mine on a two week cruise changed, and only slightly, but I thought I'd point this out, as it seems to upset some people. Of course, if something happens to upset Viking's plans (late arrival of ship, tour provider has to make a change, etc.) the times may change by more than a little. Also, if an excursion is showing up as 9:00 on MVJ, I think your meeting time will likely be 15 minutes before that. Information on excursion times, meeting places, and need/no need to bring headsets is outlined in the Viking Daily, and most of this info is printed on the tickets Viking places in your room (and perhaps posted on your room TV: I forget). You'll figure out quickly that just because you signed up for, say, the 9:00 included excursion, that doesn't mean there is just one coach, tour and tour guide. The excursion group you're assigned to will have a tour number printed on the ticket and printed in the Viking Daily - and often (usually?) includes an "A," "B," "C, etc. Just check the Viking Daily each night, especially to obtain the meeting place, which I don't think is printed on your tickets. Then listen to what the excursion folks tell you and follow the crowd as you go down the gangway, find a Viking rep assigning you to a coach, or going to your assigned coach, etc. I found the excursion folks to be quite good - plenty of them around to answer questions, guide people, etc. They also managed to get the two of us on a non-complimentary excursion at the last minute (paid for, of course), so I was grateful for that. I knew it may not be possible, but also knew you don't know unless you try. Therefore, I asked the folks down by the coaches the day of the excursion if anything was possible. They checked their clipboards, checked with the tour guide, and got us on the tour.

Often times paid excursions are fully booked, HOWEVER we went on a couple paid excursions where before the cruise people were told they were booked but had they asked again onboard at the desk, they could have gone. It can't hurt to call or stop by the on ship excursion desk to check. People previously booked do cancel leaving openings.