Getting dropped off at Vancouver Cruise Port- Crazy?

DnA2010

Hi folks, just wanting advice for our departure next Wednesday- we are discussing possibly having family drop us off, or taking the sky train - there are 2 ships departing- the Island Princess 1920 pax) and the HAL Volendam (1432 pax) just wondering if anyone knows if it is difficult for drop off, should we sky train in instead? We are staying in Surrey.

Thank you!!

Either will work, the dropping off of passengers is very efficient. But, if you can manage your bags easily, packing light and walking a couple blocks it's a smoother transfer. Vancouver is a very congested city, all stop and go, So staying out in Surrey could take longer.

Personally, I would not want to take Skytrain with luggage. I know a lot of people think it's great but it's not how I would want to start my vacation. ;) If your family has offered to drive you in, then that sounds great. It will be congested with cabs and such in the immediate port area, so drop off a few blocks away would also work. Just follow the signs once you are at Canada Place.

Have fun. :)

We had thought my uncle and cousin could drive us, but my uncle thinks it will be too crazy- he thinks we should take a limo (8 of us) but we would rather spend those 100s on the ship hence thinking the sky train

We had thought my uncle and cousin could drive us, but my uncle thinks it will be too crazy...

Yes, that's why I thought dropping you a few streets over might work. Sounds like they may not want to drive you? :( I mean, if it was my family we would be only too happy to do so. Hmm.

Skytrain will work of course but for 8 of you, that would be something - are there children?

Thoughts....

• another vote to avoid Skytrain, especially the Expo Line's narrower cars to Waterfront.
  • accept the ride if it's available.
  • vehicle drop offs are busiest between 11:30am and 1:30pm. If you can get there before 11:30am... drive straight to baggage drop off. If you are arriving at peak period... be prepared for a wait at the ramp or consider using the convention centre entrances for drop off and do the luggage drag into the terminal.
  • taxi is not cheap from Surrey

From Surrey, 100% do NOT take SkyTrain. As mentioned above, it's the older line with zero luggage space and potentially $150 fines for blocking seats/aisles/wheelchair/bike spots with your bags.

I'd be loathe to drop my family at the pier by car myself - but driving into downtown away from rushhour times is not at all challenging, so dropping you off a couple of blocks away from the pier should be minimal hassle - it's literally the last couple of blocks where traffic gets seriously slow. Since your profile says Kamloops, I assume they're already collecting you at the airport or train station? Really, it's not much more hassle at all to drop you close enough to easily walk to the pier...

Worst case, get your family to drop you off at a Canada Line station they're willing to drive to - that will at least give you legal space for luggage (and we've often taken 2 large 28" rollers and 2 carryons without having any trouble - platforms and carriages fit very closely so it's easy to roll bags on and off).

Edit - if it's also too much hassle to come get from where you arrive, then getting to and from Surrey will definitely cost you more than a couple of rooms in the YWCA (they have up to 5 beds with private bath).

Edited by martincath

Thank you for all your thoughts-

we are driving from Kamloops to the lower mainland on the Tuesday, visiting with family in the afternoon, staying with my Aunt and Uncle (my family - husband, daughter 13 and 11 month old) my sister's family (her and hubby and their 11 month old) and my mom- we are all very able bodied and baby wear and have used subway in new york with luggage etc, taken sky train lots etc. the plan was to leave our 2 cars at my cousin's place as she has lots of room for parking, and then her and my uncle drive us to the port in our cars...she was 100% fine to do this, but it's my uncle who thinks it will be too crazy down there...my cousin didn't think it would be that bad as a lot of the main rush hour will be done.

We've driven into the city a few times from surrey in the last year for Science World and for Cavalia, and didn't seem like a big deal, but we don't know...both my hubby and I drive a lot though, so I'm sure we have a different outlook than living in a big busy city.

I like the idea of going to a Canada line station and going in on that- I will see what they think-

The best price I could get for a limo that could fit us would be close to $200 one way, and I'd much rather spend that on the ship

Since you are going to be using your cars to drive to the port, why can't you just drive yourself there through the traffic and find somewhere close to drop everyone off. Then, your cousin and uncle can take over and drive home. Sounds like you will have no issues stopping a block or two away, unloading and rolling yourselves to the port.

Just have your uncle pointed in the right direction, not through the port area, and off they go.

We will be using Skytrain also in a few days with a carry on wheeled suitcase each but we are only travelling within Vancouver.

Just talked to Translink, and they said luggage is allowed on the Expo Line, but passengers need to keep access to doors and aisles clear. He could not find a reference to a $150 fine and the supervisor stated that that would not happen unless you were asked by an official to move luggage and you did not comply.

Unless you are taking large luggage or going with a group of people who all have luggage, I can't see that you would have a problem although coming from Surrey is a long way.

We will be using Skytrain also in a few days with a carry on wheeled suitcase each but we are only travelling within Vancouver.

Just talked to Translink, and they said luggage is allowed on the Expo Line, but passengers need to keep access to doors and aisles clear. He could not find a reference to a $150 fine and the supervisor stated that that would not happen unless you were asked by an official to move luggage and you did not comply.

Unless you are taking large luggage or going with a group of people who all have luggage, I can't see that you would have a problem although coming from Surrey is a long way.

It probably has to do with blocking handicap space.

I've taken the Expo line multi times over many years. The Expo line is a stop for the Train and Bus station which is heavily used by those visitors.

My bag is not carry on, but a 24" medium size bag.

Yep a LOT of people simply way over pack. I've become very effect with my frequent travel with a priority for using cheap public transportation.

Just goes to show that call centre folks are rarely fully-trained regardless of the organization... I've linked directly to the relevant Act before (section 6 covers the offence - in this case "failure to obey signs and rules" and 9 the cost of the fine). The supervisor is partially correct in that that fines are levied if you refuse to fix the problem *or* leave the vehicle - any Translink staff member can go straight to kicking you off - and on an automated system it's rarely enforced as staff onboard are few and far between - but considering OP is travelling as a group of 8 and confirmed they are driving here luggage is likely to be on the large side...

Some other locals have gleefully claimed to travel on buses/Expo line with suitcases with no problems and I don't doubt they escaped censure due to lax enforcement but it is a violation (and not just doors & wheelchair spots BQ - ALL signs on transit have legal weight under that Act and bags on seats or blocking seats is just as much against the rules). If it's quiet with plenty of spare seats bus drivers let things slide, but I see folks booted from using my local buses frequently as these are downtown C services which are usually full or close to it.

Edited by martincath
spelling

Here is another alternative if your Uncle doesn't want to drive you all the way downtown. Why not have them drive you to the River Rock in Richmond so you can take the Canada Line down. The cars of the train are wider and meant to accommodate those travelling with luggage. This also terminates at Waterfront Station and it is an easy walk to Canada Place from there. I guess it really depends where in Surrey you'd be coming from.

Here is another alternative if your Uncle doesn't want to drive you all the way downtown. Why not have them drive you to the River Rock in Richmond so you can take the Canada Line down.

If you can get to the Oakridge Safeway for a dropoff... you can save the $1.25/passenger zone surcharge.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Forums mobile app