Skagway: I have an excursion, but what else should i do?

smrtypnts

I've already spent a ton on excursions and the excursion I'm taking in Skagway is 6.5 hours,but I'll still have 7 hours in port. So what is recommended in either walking around, or possibly eating king crab or seeing something via taxi that you think would be a good choice? I know this is subjective. My husband does not like shopping so that's probably not the thing we want to do. Any and all recommendations welcomed.

What excursion are you doing?

Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari

Travel through the fjords and rainforests on this stunning Alaskan excursion. Your guided adventure will give you the opportunity to see everything from whales and seals to cascading waterfalls. Walk through the forest to arrive at your canoe which will take you on a trip to the Davidson Glacier! Enjoy a picnic lunch before ending your tour!

Skagway Glacier Point Wilderness Safari

Travel through the fjords and rainforests on this stunning Alaskan excursion. Your guided adventure will give you the opportunity to see everything from whales and seals to cascading waterfalls. Walk through the forest to arrive at your canoe which will take you on a trip to the Davidson Glacier! Enjoy a picnic lunch before ending your tour!

Great tour - you will love it!

Here are some hikes - I have done the Gold Rush Cemetery hike:

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

I have also done the National Park Service walking tour:

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/walking-tours.htm

This can probably be hit or miss depending on tour guide but ours was excellent.

You can probably also get the White Pass train ride in but it is more sit down - though I usually stand outside and take pictures from the last car. It is worth doing once. Will give you the gold rush history and the scenery is outstanding. I know - another excursion.

Edited by Coral

Great tour - you will love it!

Here are some hikes - I have done the Gold Rush Cemetery hike:

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/things2do.htm

I have also done the National Park Service walking tour:

https://www.nps.gov/klgo/planyourvisit/walking-tours.htm

This can probably be hit or miss depending on tour guide but ours was excellent.

You can probably also get the White Pass train ride in but it is more sit down - though I usually stand outside and take pictures from the last car. It is worth doing once. Will give you the gold rush history and the scenery is outstanding. I know - another excursion.

LOL you're right--another excursion....but I still love the thoughts and possibilities--Thank you! I'll look into each one.

http://www.skagway.com has a walking tour map.

I've enjoyed a walk out to the Gold Rush Cemetery, going down Broadway to State, then return via Alaska. Consider Lower Reid Falls when there.

I'm a strong advocate of the Park Service visitor site. The walking tours do require tickets, not sure if those are now available online? Worth a look at the movie and exhibits. They do have other in town locations to also visit.

Across the street at the Red Onion, the walk up Brothel tours could be of interest? Small admission fee.

www.skagway.com has a walking tour map.

I've enjoyed a walk out to the Gold Rush Cemetery, going down Broadway to State, then return via Alaska. Consider Lower Reid Falls when there.

I'm a strong advocate of the Park Service visitor site. The walking tours do require tickets, not sure if those are now available online? Worth a look at the movie and exhibits. They do have other in town locations to also visit.

Across the street at the Red Onion, the walk up Brothel tours could be of interest? Small admission fee.

Thank you so much Budget Queen--I am going to take all of these recommendations under advisement and make a decision.

The actual park is named the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park, and is composed of two units -- one in Seattle and the other in Skagway. The NPS headquarters is where the film about the Klondike gold rush is shown, and around the corner is another NPS building with great historical displays. Down the street the NPS has displays in the Mascot saloon, and across the street a little farther down the NPS as another historic saloon set up for their Junior Ranger program -- wonder place for families with children.

We've had had meals at the Skagway Brewing Company several times, including last month, and have been pleased.

The actual park is named the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park, and is composed of two units -- one in Seattle and the other in Skagway. The NPS headquarters is where the film about the Klondike gold rush is shown, and around the corner is another NPS building with great historical displays. Down the street the NPS has displays in the Mascot saloon, and across the street a little farther down the NPS as another historic saloon set up for their Junior Ranger program -- wonder place for families with children.

We've had had meals at the Skagway Brewing Company several times, including last month, and have been pleased.

Thanks a lot, Northern Aurora