Buffet line etiquette?

I am thinking of taking a first time cruise on a RCCL ship. :)

I saw in an online video of Brilliance of The Seas buffet stations are mostly self service. In otherwords, PAX help themselves to the prepared foods at the various food stations.

I have on some cruises, noticed in buffet lines some PAX pick up food, put it on their plates, then use their fingers to eat what's on their plate whilst going to the next food station, and handling the serving utensils.:eek:

Fortunately, I have never gotten a food born illness on cruises with Princess and Celebrity because I ask the buffet line staff to place the food on my plate, and I seldom need to pick up the serving utensils.

So my questions are:

So, I'm just curious, do you say something to PAXs in front of you who nibbles food with their fingers off their plate, and then handles the next serving utensils in the buffet line? Or just keep quiet?

Is it improper and poor etiquette for one to use a napkin, or disposable glove to pick up the serving utensils?

And, am I overly concerned about getting someone's germs in the buffet line?:confused:

Thanks you.

I never really noticed any lines at the buffet, but we don't go when it's really full. I've never really seen anyone licking their fingers in there either, although I have seen people put the part of the tongs they were just holding directly into the food as they set them down. I don't think you wearing gloves would help with that. But you can't live your life in fear.

On a side note, I did see a lady putting on disposable gloves to pump gas recently which initially seemed like overkill, then I went and picked up the pump myself and understood why.

On a side note, I did see a lady putting on disposable gloves to pump gas recently which initially seemed like overkill, then I went and picked up the pump myself and understood why.

Those disposable gloves are provided as a service by the gas station over here. Nothing to do with germs, but especially Diesel can leave you with a nasty smell on your hands.

I'm not sure if you're trolling, but if I ever saw someone licking their fingers then touching the tongs I wouldn't say anything, because it's not worth it. I assume the tongs are dirty anyway so seeing how they got dirty isn't really a big deal.

I don't think it's improper (but probably poor etiquette) to use a napkin or gloves to touch the tongs, but it is certainly weird.

I don't think you're overly concerned with germs, but you are more concerned than most.

In addition to the self-serve sanitizer at the entrance to the Windjammer, there is also someone at the entrance chasing down people who did not use the hand sanitizer . After getting your food, sanitize your hands again before eating. Then you won't have to worry about the germs you got from the serving utensils. At least you have control over this.

To be honest, what we don't have control over is someone coughing and sneezing near you. Therefore, I really wouldn't worry too much about handling the buffet utensils. You have just as much chance of getting sick in your day-to-day life as you would being on a cruise ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

I would definitely say something to a child or young adult. I've seen enough of these little snowflakes poking holes in rolls and trying desserts with their fingers. It would depend on the person and situation if I said anything. Most pretend not to understand English. I've actually gone to another line or buffet station.

In addition to the self-serve sanitizer at the entrance to the Windjammer, there is also someone at the entrance chasing down people who did not use the hand sanitizer . After getting your food, sanitize your hands again before eating. Then you won't have to worry about the germs you got from the serving utensils. At least you have control over this.

To be honest, what we don't have control over is someone coughing and sneezing near you. Therefore, I really wouldn't worry too much about handling the buffet utensils. You have just as much chance of getting sick in your day-to-day life as you would being on a cruise ship.

Enjoy your cruise.

This is exactly what Ive learned to do, wash my hands after I get my food. Funny but it never dawned on me until a few years ago when I got a BAD stomach virus while on board. Although Im unsure if I picked it up via the buffet, anything you can do to prevent getting sick is a bonus and worth the few moments it may take.

Enjoy your cruise.

I heard (don't know if it's true) that norovirus can not be killed with alcohol (hand sanitizer) you have to wash it off. So you'd have to go wash your hands (and don't touch the door handle to get out of the bathroom or the chair to pull it out or the table to get closer after sitting down) after handling the tongs in order to really not worry about the germs you got from the serving utensils.

I heard (don't know if it's true) that norovirus can not be killed with alcohol (hand sanitizer) you have to wash it off. So you'd have to go wash your hands (and don't touch the door handle to get out of the bathroom or the chair to pull it out or the table to get closer after sitting down) after handling the tongs in order to really not worry about the germs you got from the serving utensils.

I think the chair thing is something most people don't think about. How many times do we grab the chair (like by the armrests, or the edge of the seat, or the back of the chair) to move it toward or away from the table? And don't forget salt and pepper shakers!

For what it's worth, I don't worry about these things (or about the tongs).

The thing that bugs me, is when someone lays the tongs in the food. I will either tell a food server to change the tongs, if they are close by, or just bypass that food.

I think all in all, that things are not that bad. Very few times have I heard of people being sickened from eating in the Windjammer. I love the Windjammer, especially in the evening. I almost always see the Captain and senior officers eating their dinner there. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think the chair thing is something most people don't think about. And don't forget salt and pepper shakers!

There are no pepper shakers on RCI vessels. They disappeared long ago.

FWIW, I never have concerns with the buffet if I wear my normal dinner attire...

Trellchem_SUPER.jpg

If you aren't concerned yet....you should see how many people come out of the bathroom and don't wash their hands. And not just kids either. And the people who have snot all over their hands and touch the railings and the elevator buttons and who knows what else.

Be prepared-bring a plastic bubble for guaranteed safety....and a quick way down the stairs!

The thing that bugs me, is when someone lays the tongs in the food. I will either tell a food server to change the tongs, if they are close by, or just bypass that food.

I think all in all, that things are not that bad. Very few times have I heard of people being sickened from eating in the Windjammer. I love the Windjammer, especially in the evening. I almost always see the Captain and senior officers eating their dinner there. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

Gwen [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Change the tongs? Shouldn't they change the food? What good do new tongs do?