Hoping those at Canada Place are ok

canadianbear

Serious accident with two people in critical condition. Hope this link works-saw this on our local news and thought of all the tourists getting off and on the ships today.

http://glbn.ca/A9On2O

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Prayers for everyone involved. Thank you for letting us know.

Joanie

My friend and his wife arrived at CP yesterday morning! I know they are staying overnight before leaving Vancouver this morning. I sure hope they were not involved.

Update - they are fine and just missed the accident. Will get an update from him later.

Edited by DaveOKC

How awful is that all I can think is "I hope it was a genuine accident and not another terrorist idiot". :/

From everything that I observed, it was indeed a genuine accident with no terrorism involved.

The bus was going very slowly, thankfully, or there could have been more injuries or fatalities. But someone has lost a husband/father, and it is just tragic.

We live in Vancouver, so we see that area often. It's a very busy place. Police do their best, but people pull in to drop off or pick up people where they shouldn't. Some cruisers run in and out of usually slow moving traffic and ignore crosswalks and police who attempt to control it all. I wouldn't want to drive a bus there.

My sympathy goes to the family of the dead man and those hurt. I have a lot of sympathy for the bus driver too. He or she must be devastated at the terrible accident,

sandra

We live in Vancouver, so we see that area often. It's a very busy place. Police do their best, but people pull in to drop off or pick up people where they shouldn't. Some cruisers run in and out of usually slow moving traffic and ignore crosswalks and police who attempt to control it all. I wouldn't want to drive a bus there.

My sympathy goes to the family of the dead man and those hurt. I have a lot of sympathy for the bus driver too. He or she must be devastated at the terrible accident,

sandra

Some tourists just leave their common sense at home when they go on vacation. Things they would never do at home they will do without caution.

Yes, while I do have compassion for those injured and killed, there is also much compassion for the poor bus driver - he or she will have a lifetime of devastation from this.

Can someone please advise; did this tragic accident occur on Canada Place (the street) or on Howe Street which, if I recall correctly, has a downward slope

Thanks!

On the Canada Place street, water/Pan Pacific side, from the pics and video that were on Canadian news last night :( and it appeared to be in the area between the PP and Burrard (working from my memory of the area)

On the Canada Place street, water/Pan Pacific side, from the pics and video that were on Canadian news last night :( and it appeared to be in the area between the PP and Burrard (working from my memory of the area)

Copy, thanks!

Can someone please advise; did this tragic accident occur on Canada Place (the street) or on Howe Street which, if I recall correctly, has a downward slope

Thanks!

On Canada Place, basically just east of the pedestrian crossing at Burrard (footage clearly shows the Rogue pub on the corner so it's easy to ID the exact location). There are bollards all along the area to make it harder for people to unload cars - they start at the end of the 'No Stopping except Buses which can park for a limited time' area where the 'nobody can stop here ever' section starts so the fact that the car was clearly in the bollarded section shows it was 100% an illegal parking situation (and incidentally was blocking pedestrian/driver sightlines for the folks on the crossing - even if there were no signs up, which there are, it's unlawful to park close to a pedestrian crossing right across the continent so the car driver was being a total douche. Not deserving of dying/killing a family member, but a douche).

The real kicker is that to get where they were they had to pass the Pan Pacific pull-in (pretending to be a hotel guest to unload is still a d*ck move but at least it's a safe one) and if they'd driven onto the next block there's another pull-in that would have kept them safely out of traffic too. About fifty yards in either direction and they'd have been at no risk.

As others, I feel mostly for the bus driver in this situation - regardless of how much blame lies with the driver and family for stopping in traffic to unload, had he been paying more attention he might have been able to avoid killing someone and that will stick with him even if he faces no charges. I know a handful of drivers who have killed pedestrians, and even when found completely not at fault it's a very hard burden to carry.

Thanks!

Between Canada Place and the convention centre. Right where the little pedestrian bridge crosses the water and joins the two.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Forums mobile app