RCCL Dining Options - Maybe We Should Cancel Our Reservation?

(Note: I originally posted this message on the First Time Cruisers forum, but was told that this forum was a better place for it, so here goes.)

My family (me, my wife, and two teenage kids) have reservations for a Southern Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean later this year. I am wondering if any RCCL veterans can fill us in on dining options.

It's my fault for not looking into it further before we made our reservation, but I didn't realize how the dining works. From what I can see, we have four nights of casual dining, one night of "smart casual" dining, and two nights of formal dining. However, even the casual dining means khaki pants and a dress shirt ... not that it's a big issue, but especially in the Caribbean, it would be nice to wear a polo shirt and dressy shorts to dinner. And the smart casual/formal nights ... not happening. I can't remember the last time I wore a jacket and tie, and I'm definitely not going to do that on vacation.

Unfortunately, the only other options I can see are eating at the Windjammer buffet (my wife hates buffets) or nibbling on room service in our staterooms (which sounds depressing).

Is there something that I'm missing? Any truly casual options? Anyplace where we can go to grab a quick salad or sandwich?

From reading these forums, I'm wondering if we picked the right vacation. It seems that many/most cruise customers enjoy getting dressed up for dinners in the evening. That's not us. We didn't sign up for a cruise because we wanted a two-hour meal every evening. We signed up for a cruise because we want to visit six different islands and have great excursions on them. But I'm starting to wonder if maybe we should just eat the reservation deposit, and instead spend the entire week in Puerto Rico.

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

We were on Anthem in January and there was a man in a tshirt and shorts on formal night. No one said a word to him. I think that is a little too casual but you do not need a jacket and tie. Collared shirt works. I don't think you will have a problem eating in the dining room. Just leave your bathing suit for the pool!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have cruised with Royal many times, and you absolutely do not have to wear a jacket and tie in the dining rooms, whether it is casual, smart casual, or formal nights. I don't think you are supposed to wear short, but a polo shirt is fine. Even on formal nights you will see all sorts of dress.

(Note: I originally posted this message on the First Time Cruisers forum, but was told that this forum was a better place for it, so here goes.)

My family (me, my wife, and two teenage kids) have reservations for a Southern Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean later this year. I am wondering if any RCCL veterans can fill us in on dining options.

It's my fault for not looking into it further before we made our reservation, but I didn't realize how the dining works. From what I can see, we have four nights of casual dining, one night of "smart casual" dining, and two nights of formal dining. However, even the casual dining means khaki pants and a dress shirt ... not that it's a big issue, but especially in the Caribbean, it would be nice to wear a polo shirt and dressy shorts to dinner. And the smart casual/formal nights ... not happening. I can't remember the last time I wore a jacket and tie, and I'm definitely not going to do that on vacation.

Unfortunately, the only other options I can see are eating at the Windjammer buffet (my wife hates buffets) or nibbling on room service in our staterooms (which sounds depressing).

Is there something that I'm missing? Any truly casual options? Anyplace where we can go to grab a quick salad or sandwich?

From reading these forums, I'm wondering if we picked the right vacation. It seems that many/most cruise customers enjoy getting dressed up for dinners in the evening. That's not us. We didn't sign up for a cruise because we wanted a two-hour meal every evening. We signed up for a cruise because we want to visit six different islands and have great excursions on them. But I'm starting to wonder if maybe we should just eat the reservation deposit, and instead spend the entire week in Puerto Rico.

I have cruised several times with royal I like to wear a suit on formal nights and a dress shirt and tie on some nights other nights I wear a polo and kakis it really does not matter what you wear they will not turn you away wear what is comfortable for you.

Welcome to Cruise Critic, HormelChavez.

If you take a quick glance at the thread titles on just the first page or two of this forum, you will see threads that discuss this topic. There you will see that while there are many opinions, just about everyone will tell you that RC does not enforce its "dress suggestions", even the most egregious "violations". In other words, you will be fine in a nice shirt and nice shorts. It would be respectful if you could put on long pants for formal night. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518865

Welcome to Cruise Critic, HormelChavez.

If you take a quick glance at the thread titles on just the first page or two of this forum, you will see threads that discuss this topic. There you will see that while there are many opinions, just about everyone will tell you that RC does not enforce its "dress suggestions", even the most egregious "violations". In other words, you will be fine in a nice shirt and nice shorts. It would be respectful if you could put on long pants for formal night. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2518865

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, you really didn't answer my question ... and neither did the thread that you linked. I specifically asked if there were *other* options, aside from the buffet or room service.

I read many threads on this forum before posting. I saw that RCCL tends not to enforce its dress code (although other posts have suggested that they do). But I also appreciate that the suggested dress code is there for a reason. If shorts aren't allowed -- and my understanding of RCCL's dress code is that they are not, even for "casual" dinners -- that's fine. I'm not looking to be the "I paid for my vacation so I can do what I want!" idiot who shows up to the formal dinner in shorts. That's why I'm wondering if the only dinner options are MDR/buffet/room service -- none of which are ideal -- or if there are other options available.

As I mentioned before, our main reason for going on a cruise is not so that we can dine opulently every night, but rather so that we could visit a bunch of islands in one week. We really don't want to spend two-plus hours at multiple-course dinners every evening. Something quicker and less formal would be ideal. We did not realize that dinners were such a big deal on cruises, and that's why we're re-thinking our plans.

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, you really didn't answer my question ... and neither did the thread that you linked. I specifically asked if there were *other* options, aside from the buffet or room service.

I read many threads on this forum before posting. I saw that RCCL tends not to enforce its dress code (although other posts have suggested that they do). But I also appreciate that the suggested dress code is there for a reason. If shorts aren't allowed -- and my understanding of RCCL's dress code is that they are not, even for "casual" dinners -- that's fine. I'm not looking to be the "I paid for my vacation so I can do what I want!" idiot who shows up to the formal dinner in shorts. That's why I'm wondering if the only dinner options are MDR/buffet/room service -- none of which are ideal -- or if there are other options available.

As I mentioned before, our main reason for going on a cruise is not so that we can dine opulently every night, but rather so that we could visit a bunch of islands in one week. We really don't want to spend two-plus hours at multiple-course dinners every evening. Something quicker and less formal would be ideal. We did not realize that dinners were such a big deal on cruises, and that's why we're re-thinking our plans.

You will get more accurate information if you include the ship you are sailing in your posts.

Don't stress over the suggested dress guidelines for the Main Dining Room. They are simply suggestions and are not enforced.

You will see information on board about not wearing shorts to dinner in the Main Dining Room, but don't worry as you will see many others in shorts on the non-formal nights. For the two formal nights, long pants and a nice casual shirt would be preferred, but certainly no need for a tie or jacket. Or, on formal nights, consider a treat at Johnny Rockets or the Windjammer, which is quiet and much nicer in the evenings. We always enjoy one night in the buffet because it is so quieter and more relaxing than the MDR!

Edited by dplusd
Sp

DH and I agree with you entirely. We don't go on vacation to dress up. DH wears jeans and a polo shirt every night for dinner on every cruise we go on. On formal nights, we either eat in a specialty restaurant or Windjammer. We have been to Chops, Giovannis and Izumi and have found them all to be great food. I would look at buying a BOGO dining package.

Jewel of the Seas

This link will show you what is available for dining and activities on Jewel.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/jewel-of-the-seas/things-to-do

There are specialty dining restaurants that you can choose instead of the MDR or WJ, but they are for a fee.

Dinner in the MDR does not have to be a 2 hour multi course event each night, especially if you book My Time Dining and eat with just your party. You can set the pace, tell the waiter you just want a quick bite to eat and they will work with you.

Windjammer buffet on Jewel is also one of our favorites. They do a lot of cook to order options at dinner. There are theme nights with make your own pizza, make your own pasta, make your own soup, mongolian BBQ, grilled to order meats, and more. Some of the themes are indian, italian, asian and we even had a NY burroughs night on a NE/Canada cruise that was a little different. There will be a carving station each night. Some of the MDR meals will be served too. WJ at night is very different than lunch time.

I think you're overthinking it. I would say that at least half of the men in the MDR were wearing a polo and nice shorts, or the equivalent. Especially on such a port intensive itinerary as you're describing, people don't have time to deal with dressing up after being out all day. And the Windjammer is better than any hotel buffet I've ever been to, and we've been to a lot of AI resorts. Unfortunately with a smaller ship, you don't get as many dining options.

If you really want a quick dinner, stay away from the MDR, even MTD as both will take a good hour plus. Johnny Rockets is for a fee, but affordable and very casual. Fill that in with the buffet which is always casual. The Speciality restaurants are more long pants and polos and can really add up in costs. They do sell a 2 for 1 that is good on the first and second day only that is half price. For $30 PP you get 2 restaurants, but not your choice. The choice will be in your stateroom for night 1 and night 2. Night 1 is always very casual as most people have not unpacked yet. Night 2 will be formal, but just nice casual in restaurant 2.

Have a great cruise!

The "dress code" has become much more "relaxed" over the last several years. Do NOT worry about "dressing up". All nights are pretty casual...they do prefer dockers on men for dinner, but there will be shorts in evidence. No formal attire is needed anymore.

You are worrying over nothing.

The "dress code" has become much more "relaxed" over the last several years. Do NOT worry about "dressing up". All nights are pretty casual...they do prefer dockers on men for dinner, but there will be shorts in evidence. No formal attire is needed anymore.

You are worrying over nothing.

True, but the OP wants a faster dinner, not 2 hours in the MDR.

Jewel of the Seas

We were on the Jewel ex-San Juan last April.

As a smaller ship, there are limited venues. So your options really are the main dining room, the buffet, room service, or the three (four if you count the chef's table event) specialty restaurants.

But, I'd say you're overthinking the dress issue. On our cruise, a polo shirt and chinos would have put you solidly in the top quarter of formality on every night. A polo and nice shorts would have been in the top half.

Maybe you would like to discuss more info with your fellow cruisers going on the Jewel of the Seas the same week as you!:rolleyes: Just click on the link below, find your week, and join in the discussion! Lots of good info can be learned and you may make new forever friends! You can also ask them who has teens cruising with them, so your kids can make new friends too! DH and I now prefer the larger ships that have the Promenade in the center but the Jewel is a beautiful ship that offers wonderful ocean views from almost all public places on board!:cool: Hope you decide to give the cruise a try and maybe you'll be hooked on cruising too!:*

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=263

Routinely we get out of the My Time Dining room in 45 minutes for three courses. But if you eat an appetizer, salad, main course and dessert it can take an hour. The real key is not to sit at a large table - if you are only with your family you really control the pace of the dinner. Also helps to get the same waiters every night.

We gave up on large tables years ago when a 12-top took 3 hours. Nice people to talk to, but they had to try everything on the menu and many drink orders. At least in early fixed seating dining they can't stay too long because of late seating. In MTD you could stretch a meal to five hours if you wanted to.

routinely we get out of the my time dining room in 45 minutes for three courses. But if you eat an appetizer, salad, main course and dessert it can take an hour. The real key is not to sit at a large table - if you are only with your family you really control the pace of the dinner..

+1.

Others have replied to the dress codes and specialty dining, however, if you are concerned with the length of dining time, request a table for 2 and you will be done within an hour. The advantage is that the waiter does not have to wait for other guests to arrive before taking orders. We have done this over our last 6-7 cruises have completed on an average of 50 minutes even when DD dining concept was in play on the Quantum class. Enjoy your cruise, keep in mind the waiters are very accommodating.

Ok, I'm going out on a limb here. You asked about alternatives to the MDR as you don't want long dinners every night, don't want to abide by the "suggested dress," and don't want to go to the buffet. Ok... you might want to go on another vacation. The only real option to the MDR is the buffet. The specialty restaurants ask you not to wear shorts and cost money. They are nice, multi-course meals. That seems to be something you're trying to avoid. By the way, the dress nights you mentioned are out of date. On a 7 night cruise there are 2 Formal Nights. The rest are now called "smart casual" which is the old "casual." They ask for long pants and collared shirts. The official rule is no shorts in the MDR for dinner. Is it enforced? Sometimes. But you stated you didn't want to be that "it's my cruise I'll do what I want" guy. Admirable. So your choices are dress according to the dress code (formal night is not all that formal anymore) and have "2 hour" multi-course dinner in the MDR, be that "it's my cruise I'll do what I want" guy and wear whatever floats your boat and have the "2 hour" multi-course dinner, or go to the buffet. Part of the "cruise experience" is the dining. It's one of the things most cruisers like. So, based on that, I would say you might want to consider a different vacation at a resort or something. If you have not made your final payment, deposit is refundable.

You´ve already realized this is a hot topic on CC and people quickly kept focusing on the dress code part of your post.

Anyway I try to answer your question, as it seems you are not comfortable with the MDR anyway for several reasons and the Windjammer seems to be out as well.

Unfortunately you would have had some more options on other ships, but on the Jewel this basically only leaves specialty dining and room service (btw there is an extra charge for this).

The specialty dining venues are not less formal ot quicker than the MDR, so with your preferences these would not fit your bill either. As others have said Dinner at the MDR does not have to be a 2 hour affair, but it´s also not the place to grab a quick bite to eat. Of course you can make it a one course dinner, but it´s still a sit down dinner in a restaurant and it will take some time to get your order taken, drinks served, bread served, meal served, etc. From your post this doesn´t sound like what you are looking for. The place to quickly grab some food would really be the buffet, but this sounds not like your idea either.:(

IMHO you will most likely either have to re-think your expectations about this cruise or indeed look into cancelling.

Not to burst your bubbles any further, but you also said you are looking for a way to see a bunch of islands in one week. While I fully get that and it´s one of my top reasons why I love cruises - to see many new places - I hope you do realize that there is no guarantee you will actually see all those islands, as weather and sea conditions could prevent you from actually going to the place you looked forward to. From your posts I´m not sure a cruise is the right choice for you and your family, but then if you go with an open mind and low expectations you might be surprised and love it.