Can't Stop Thinking About Holidays

babs135

What's wrong with me? We have two holidays booked for next year, a five weeks cruise and stay and a three weeks land based holiday yet I find myself increasingly thinking about holidays in 2019 :confused:

There is absolutely no way we would be prepared to book anything so far out. Matters of health and finance make the risk too great and because we are in the UK any deposit would be forfeited if we were to change our minds.

So why am I feeling this way? Must confess this is a new one to me. Should be more than grateful for the holidays we have booked and I keep telling myself off (!). Would be grateful if anyone else has felt this way or am I alone, weird and slightly pathetic :eek:

You are not unique.

We often make plans for multiple years.

The only difference is that for the out years in the USA we can get the deposit back assuming we make refundable reservations.

It's always exciting to have more then one trip planned and to have trips in multiple years planned.

Keith

Oh, heck no!!!!! I am sure there are many of us that do the same. I have been doing tons of research for our 2019 cruise. We, like many others book 2 years in advance...but I also agree that since you forfeit the deposit, I too would find this dangerous. :cool:

We generally start planning two years out- between winter getaways, family events (weddings, graduations, etc.) and cruises we seem to go somewhere six or more times per year. We start pencilling things in at 30 months out, then adjust as conflicts crop up, and start finalizing major trips a year or 18 months out. You make better choices if you have several options already considered.

I once planned a vacation 8 months in advance. Most of the other times were less than two months in advance. Some have been just a few days in advance.

Our motto is; Got my passport. Got my credit cards. Got my meds (that's a new addition). Let's go!

I admire you guys who can book 24+ months out for holiday. That would drive me crazy, as well as my family, friends or whoever is cruising with me. I usually book 30 to 90 days b4 holiday but I usually know the month I want to go on holiday. So for 2018 I'll vacation Feb or March, May, and Oct. But actually booking something today for Oct 2018. O i couldn't do it. LOL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

I admire you guys who can book 24+ months out for holiday. That would drive me crazy, as well as my family, friends or whoever is cruising with me. I usually book 30 to 90 days b4 holiday but I usually know the month I want to go on holiday. So for 2018 I'll vacation Feb or March, May, and Oct. But actually booking something today for Oct 2018. O i couldn't do it. LOL!

If you wind up going on a cruise in October and find out that you paid $626 more per person (cruise and air fare) because you waited until fares kept sliding up, you might reconsider.

If you wind up going on a cruise in October and find out that you paid $626 more per person (cruise and air fare) because you waited until fares kept sliding up, you might reconsider.

I've had it the other way though where you have a holiday booked well ahead of time, so go, but find it less enjoyable because it's too similar to something else you've done recently, or you're missing something you wanted to attend at home (friend's wedding) that only got arranged after you'd booked. Sometimes spontaneity is better.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Forums mobile app

I've had it the other way though where you have a holiday booked well ahead of time, so go, but find it less enjoyable because it's too similar to something else you've done recently, or you're missing something you wanted to attend at home (friend's wedding) that only got arranged after you'd booked. Sometimes spontaneity is better.

Agreed - spontaneity is a definite plus - but not to the exclusion of planning. Often, not planning to travel is simply unconsciously planning not to travel.

Of course, with any major long term plan it is possible to keep you options open with cancellation insurance.

Could you psychologically be trying to escape something at home? Or fear time is running out so you must get things you want to do done maybe?

This is definitely true for me. When things are stressful I fall back to the endorphins of trip planning to escape. I suppose it's better than acquiring a drinking habit. :)

I usually book my air with Southwest when Im fairly certain of the week I'll cruise, at 90 plus days. They refund and or give me a credit or refund my miles if I need to cancel or change my reservation.

Im also within driving distance to Galveston, 5 hrs; NOLA, 7 hrs and Mobile, 8 hrs. So I have access to 10+ cruise ships at any given time. Mobile and NOLA have great sales after final payment.

I'M SUPER CHEAP. My motto for cruising is $1000 pp for a balcony, 7 nights. As long as I'm within this give or take a hundred bucks or so, I'm pleased. $500/pp balcony for a short 4 or 5 nighter. It's fairly easy to stay within my guidelines.

For major cruises like my Alaska cruise I booked at about 9 months. I'll do the same for my Mediterranean and southern Caribbean cruise.

And I love balcony guarantee cabins. I can sleep thru pretty much anything. Ive cruised guarantee at least 25% of the time. I know that's not for everyone but it works for me. Cabin placement is not a priority for me as long as Im in a balcony.