Coffee card - buy new on ship or e-bay?

EllieinNJ

I want to buy a coffee card for my October Grand sailing. I want it mostly for the brewed coffee at the International cafe, but will also use it for the specialty coffees.

I saw them for sale on E-Bay for $25 and they are approx. $40 on ship. But I think I read a post that said if you don't buy the new ones for that particular ship, you cannot get the brewed coffee, only specialties. Can someone clarify this for me?

No question, I would buy it on the ship. $15 savings is not worth any risk, and when you figure the total cost of the cruise $15 is nothing. Especially if you are using it for brewed coffee, if for any reason the card you bought is not honored you would have to buy one on the ship anyhow.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Price on the ship is $35.65. It includes 15 punches for specialty espresso drinks plus unlimited brewed coffee and premium tea for you cruise. Punches never expire. If you purchase from e-bay you probably will not be able to get the unlimited coffee and tea options. You may have to use your punches for this option. I think $25 is overpriced. If you could get two or three cards for around $30 then it would be worth it as you would have extra punches for the brewed coffee. The cards are most likely ones that were provided to Elite passengers that traded in their mini bar for two coffee cards, and therefore have no real cost to the owner.

I saw them for sale on E-Bay for $25 and they are approx. $40 on ship. But I think I read a post that said if you don't buy the new ones for that particular ship, you cannot get the brewed coffee, only specialties. Can someone clarify this for me?

If you buy it on eBay, you have no idea if it is real, or if it is fake.

There is also no guarantee that the ship / voyage won't already be written on the card.

Even if the card is marked for a different voyage, you can still use it for brewed coffee -- but,

it will cost a punch, like a specialty coffee.

If the person has good feedback, I would have no problem with eBay one as long as it's unused and has no ship name signed. If it's not been used at all it will be fine. Not sure why people think you wouldn't be able to use an unused card for brewed coffee.

We've bought maybe 8 or 10 of these over the past few years on eBay, and they work fine. The sellers have been truthful about the condition, at least so far.

If there is no ship name or other writing on the back, they should and usually will be treated as a new card with full privileges. At the very worst, if all the punches are there you'll get 15 specialty coffees for $25. I realize the OP wanted it largely for the fresh-brewed, and they really should deliver on that too.

For some reason, some people seem to think that this is cheating or trying to get away with something. I think it's completely OK and ethical. These cards have been given to Elite or suite passengers by Princess in exchange for something of value (the bar setup), and this is how they've chosen to retrieve the value.

Jim

I want to buy a coffee card for my October Grand sailing. I want it mostly for the brewed coffee at the International cafe, but will also use it for the specialty coffees.

You take the chance on whether it will be accepted or not.

For what $15?? You are on a cruise that probably cost you thousands. SMH........

There are reputable people, such as Elite members who get coffee cards as perks, that sell them on Ebay.

We bought one from such a person.

Enjoyed the coffees and drinks from the Int'l Cafe on our Alaskan cruise.

It is okay to buy on Ebay, but just be sure you have a reputable seller, and that you are getting a legit and totally unused card!

And why has Princess become more selective on the look of coffee cards...because of the sales on ebay. I still am confused why those who get cards as a free perk, want to make profit from them.....I've heard all the reasons, especially from solo cruisers, just don't understand why they just don't give them away.

BTW...many do.....

I would rather have the ship make money off me than a fellow elite cruiser who feels they are sooooo entitled.

Can u tell this is a hot button with me.....

Yes, I know, I should keep my fingers from typing and mind my own business.

Edited by land lover

You take the chance on whether it will be accepted or not.

For what $15?? You are on a cruise that probably cost you thousands. SMH........

Silly when you think about it ?

Real savings occur back when booking the cruise thru a Good TA (online or local )who discounts Princess.

And why has Princess become more selective on the look of coffee cards...because of the sales on ebay. I still am confused why those who get cards as a free perk, want to make profit from them.....I've heard all the reasons, especially from solo cruisers, just don't understand why they just don't give them away.

BTW...many do.....

I would rather have the ship make money off me than a fellow elite cruiser who feels they are sooooo entitled.

Can u tell this is a hot button with me.....

Yes, I know, I should keep my fingers from typing and mind my own business.

I agree! If I have extra Elite mini liquor bottles, soda, water or coffee cards they are GIVEN to friends or family sailing on Princess or cruising with us.

I have absolutely no problem with somebody offering me something they they are lucky enough to have, but not need, at a nice discount.

Not sure why this is such a hot-button issue?

So many people like to think that those who have anything should give it away to others for free????

Part of it is that Princess seems to be cracking down somewhat - brewed coffee only on the cruise listed on the card. I would hate to see someone buy one on Ebay (saving $11) and then only be able to use the 15 punches and be denied the brewed coffee/regular tea.

Or worse, hold up the line ahead of me arguing with the barista over the full use of the card with a difference voyage listed (or no voyage listed).

I have absolutely no problem with somebody offering me something they they are lucky enough to have, but not need, at a nice discount.

Not sure why this is such a hot-button issue?

So many people like to think that those who have anything should give it away to others for free????

I will be on the Star Princess in October if there is anyone reading this that would like to gift me some of their free OBC they received as a perk.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Most ships are using the new card with the GREEN stripe on it. I have an unused card that is the old style and it will only be good for punches as it will be obvious it was from a previous cruise. If you buy an older style card it is unlikely you can get fresh brewed coffee without a punch. Of course if you buy a newer style card and the ship you sail on is still using up their supply of the old cards it will be equally obvious that the card was from another voyage. I have the AIBP on my next two cruises so I plan to take my older cards - one unpunched and two partially punched - and just buy fancy coffee drinks for other folks. When I need a new coffee card I'll buy one but that won't be for some time yet.

Edit: None of my 3 cards has a voyage listed on it. Princess never bothered to write it in but I've been told they are far more strict about that now.

Edited by Thrak

You have to buy a 'coffee card'? Aren't tea and coffee included in the price of the cruise?

The coffee card is for the good stuff. Yes coffee and tea is free in the buffet (syrup coffee) and dining rooms.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have to buy a 'coffee card'? Aren't tea and coffee included in the price of the cruise?

Many don't like the free coffee. I find that it varies from quite good to "OMG what did I just put in my mouth!" Mostly I find it OK. The coffee card gets you unlimited fresh-brewed coffee from International Cafe and also 15 punches each good for a fancy latte or frappuccino or whatever. The fresh brewed coffee is supposed to be for the card holder only while the punches for fancy stuff are free to share with anybody you like.

I'm a long time CC member and have sold many of my unused coffee cards without a single problem. Also ebay has a money back guarentee if something isn't right. I have never seen a single complaint on these boards about conterfeit or problematic coffee cards.

Just read the description carefully so you know if you're buying a card that has a voyage written on the back so you know if it's going to include the complimentary fresh brewed or if you need a punch which they seldom do anyway for brewed coffee.

Due to the bragging here on CC about selling coffee cards on ebay.

Like everything else that is abused and bragged about here......... Princess will probably do away with the perk eventually.

Then we will have endless complaining on how Princess is cutting back on everything.

Enjoy it while you can. :rolleyes:

I don't see how those reselling the cards are "making" money. As it is, the value of the mini bar set up is worth more than $40. So in essence many of these resellers are reducing their perk by either the price of the mini bar set up value or a full priced coffee card.

As for a risk, if they are a reliable seller, at WORST Princess will still exchange the card for 15 drinks. And really, I've yet heard an instance when Princess has not allowed regular coffee to be dispensed on these cards.

And for those saying that the $15 isn't a big deal. I'd gladly share my address if you'd like to send me $15. :D Or I wonder how loud you might squawk if Princess raised the price of the CCard to, hmm, let's say, $50.