Considering HAL...A Few Cabana Questions

strykes

Hi all,

I'm not finding this info through searches. Sorry if it's been asked before.

1. Are the Cabanas adult only? I've read differing things.

2. The Koningsdam's Panorama deck has some cabana-like seating. Is that first-come-first-served or can they be reserved? Is there drink service or would we need to get our own? (not a huge deal.)

Basically, I'm looking for a quite, shaded spot where my teen and I can read and relax. We normally sail in the Haven on NCL but want to try something new and avoid paying the crazy Haven prices.

Thanks!

No.

2. The Koningsdam's Panorama deck has some cabana-like seating. Is that first-come-first-served

yes

Is there drink service or would we need to get our own? (not a huge deal.)

I don't know. We never sat there, but I would expect a steward would come by occasionally

Basically, I'm looking for a quite, shaded spot where my teen and I can read and relax.

It didn't seem like a quiet spot whenever we walked through. You get noise from the pool area below.

Offhand I can't think of any quiet, shady spots on the ship if you're not paying for a Retreat cabana or your own cabin balcony. Maybe the bar end of the Tamarind restaurant when it isn't open for business.

The Retreat Cabanas have their own dedicated stewards with full beverage and food service. The stewards provide you with menus from the Dive In Grill, the pizza place, and the daily Lido lunch menu. Just tell them what you want and when you want it. They'll also get breakfast for you.

Don't worry about children. There are so few people there that you won't even see them. It's a seriously sedate area.

The normal cabanas accommodate two people and the family cabanas hold four.

We had children next to us once and you would have had to look in the cabana to know that they were there.

The Retreat Cabanas on the Koningsdam are located on Deck 12 (Observation Deck) and are not limited to adults only. In addition to the regular 2 person Retreat Cabanas, there are two 4 person "Family Cabanas" - one on each corner (see the Deck 12 Diagram for the Koningsdam) for the layout. A regular 2 person Retreat Cabana would be perfect for you and your teen. If you wish to reserve one for the entire cruise, you must call Ship Services to reserve and pay the fee in advance of sailing. If you only want to reserve a Retreat Cabana for individual days, you have to wait until you board the ship and then check with the front desk to see if there are any available.

There are usually two Cabana Stewards to take care of the Retreat Cabana area and can bring you breakfast and lunch as well as beverages.

I'm not sure what seating you're referring to on the "Panorama Deck", which is Deck 10. Any deck chair seating other than the Retreat Cabana area is open to all passengers on the Koningsdam. The few HAL ships that have the Lanai Cabins have two reserved deck chairs outside each Lanai Cabin, but the Koningsdam does not have Lanai Cabins.

Hi all,

I'm not finding this info through searches. Sorry if it's been asked before.

2. The Koningsdam's Panorama deck has some cabana-like seating. Is that first-come-first-served or can they be reserved? Is there drink service or would we need to get our own? (not a huge deal.)

Basically, I'm looking for a quite, shaded spot where my teen and I can read and relax. We normally sail in the Haven on NCL but want to try something new and avoid paying the crazy Haven prices.

Thanks!

1-Cabanas are not adults only.

2-Cabana like seating is first come first serve. There is a bar on that deck right beside the seating area so I assume there would be servers but if not you are only a few steps away to get a drink

My favorite spot on the koninsdam is the back by the pool. There is a very large covered section with comfy chairs and couches to relax on. Depending on time of day there can be shade and sun

I'm not sure what seating you're referring to on the "Panorama Deck", which is Deck 10.
In the area of deck 10 just forward of the NY Deli and Panorama Bar is seating that is similar to the Lido cabanas on the Signature ships.

In the area of deck 10 just forward of the NY Deli and Panorama Bar is seating that is similar to the Lido cabanas on the Signature ships.

Guess we missed that area - our week on the K was so rough this past January, that outside decks (and the Retreat Cabanas) were closed for several days and we were in our cabin more than usual since my DH was suffering from mal de mer. It was very unusual to have the entire week at sea so rough - it was sort of a lost week for us. Hopefully we'll have better luck next year!:)

Another tip: Try to decide whether you want a cabana that faces the side of the ship or one that overlooks the pool. Once you have decided, and after you've reserved your cabana, call HAL ships services and ask for the email address of your ship's coordinator. Send that person an email with your preference. They'll pass it along to the ship.

We've always requested specific cabanas, giving the ship's coordinator a list, in order, of our 3 favorites. We've always gotten either our number one or number two choice.

Another tip: Try to decide whether you want a cabana that faces the side of the ship or one that overlooks the pool. Once you have decided, and after you've reserved your cabana, call HAL ships services and ask for the email address of your ship's coordinator. Send that person an email with your preference. They'll pass it along to the ship.

We've always requested specific cabanas, giving the ship's coordinator a list, in order, of our 3 favorites. We've always gotten either our number one or number two choice.

Thanks for the tip! Do you have any idea of how quickly the cabanas book up?

Thanks for the tip! Do you have any idea of how quickly the cabanas book up?

I'm not sure. We usually book ours months in advance and have never had a problem. I will say that the cabanas have always been a full when we sailed, so I would not wait too long.

You have to pay for the cabana when you book it. That's helpful in that you can spread the cost of your cruise out a little. If you have to cancel, it's fully refundable. At least that's what they told me.

We have rented cabanas twice, once on the Eurodam and once on the Zuiderdam. Both times were holiday sailings with extended family so we rented a few. We had kids, teens and adults using them, and they were a great place where people could meet. They were by far the favorite spot of both my teen daughters as they like to have both sun and shade and not have to get up early to get a good spot. Our stewards have always gone above and beyond and take excellent care of the Retreat patrons. On on upcoming cruise on the zuiderdam, we have the family cabana reserved for our group of four - my parents and my sister and I, and I am excited. The family cabanas go first but if there are only two of you, a regular one should be fine. It won't be the same as the Haven, but I think you'll both enjoy it.

Can you give me an idea of the cost? We will be on the Westerdam San Diego to Hawaii cruise in February. Because of the cost, I'm not interested in a veranda, but am interested in the cost of a cabana. Can you reserve it for just a few days? Or do I need to reserve for the entire 18 day?

Thanks.

We rented the 2 person retreat cabana on the Kdam, 11 day cruise for $499 for entire cruise. I think the daily rate is about $79 per day.
$45 on port days, $75 on sea days. The full cruise price varies with the length of the cruise. The link in post #13 gives the complete price schedule.

We have rented the family retreat cabana (the one that holds 4 people) on our upcoming 16 day Panama cruise. The cost was $899 for the entire cruise which I find to be a bargin. It's cheaper than the booze package we bought :o

We have rented the family retreat cabana (the one that holds 4 people) on our upcoming 16 day Panama cruise. The cost was $899 for the entire cruise which I find to be a bargin. It's cheaper than the booze package we bought :o

I agree that the cabanas are the best deal going. Most hotels charge several hundred per day.

Wondering if the westerndam is the same as the oosterdam, or like the nordam regarding prices.

The most recent information I have is from last December, but the cabana pricing was the same across the fleet. I'm pretty sure it's unchanged. I've read that the Westerdam has the same price structure as all the other ships. Excerpted from:

cabana-guide-2016.jpg

Click the graphic above or the link below for the PDF with the pricing.

http://www.instituteofcheer.com/img/2016/cabana/2016-Cabanas.pdf

The most recent information I have is from last December, but the cabana pricing was the same across the fleet. I'm pretty sure it's unchanged. I've read that the Westerdam has the same price structure as all the other ships. Excerpted from:

cabana-guide-2016.jpg

Click the graphic above or the link below for the PDF with the pricing.

http://www.instituteofcheer.com/img/2016/cabana/2016-Cabanas.pdf

If you take a look at the link in post 13 it shows the Oosterdam as being higher priced.

If you take a look at the link in post 13 it shows the Oosterdam as being higher priced.

Sure enough. Thanks for the correction. My flyer is from HAL in 2016, but the one Roger posted is newer. I'm surprised, because they're certainly not bigger.

I also noticed that they removed the dimensions from the price list. It would be nice to know if you're getting more space for the higher price.