Cruising out of NYC in November

arsa

We are booked on the Breakaway leaving NYC Nov 26th. Knowing that it's the Northeast and we are coming down the day before from Maine, we will be in plenty of warm jackets and stuff. Being outdoors during sail-away will be chilly but we will have our down jackets on. But I am curious to know how soon we can switch to warm weather clothes. As early as the next morning or does it still tend to stay chilly till the ship reaches Florida?

Thanks!!

We were on the Breakaway in mid March, so not quite the same time of year, but we noticed it warming up late afternoon the first full sea day (Monday) and it got chilly again Saturday morning. As a gross oversimplification, you can assume really 3 warm days for the week (the 3 port days). Anything else would be a bonus from the weather gods.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can't always go by the past, but I tend to visit my parents in the NY Metro area for Thanksgiving every year, and the past 2-3 years it's been on the mild side around that time of November in NYC (lighter winter coats, down jackets not needed so much, even a couple days in the low 50s). I just looked at historic temp records for NY, and I remembered correctly, the 26th was in the low 50's in 2016, and even hit 60 in 2015!

I know it will be chillier out on deck during sail away with the breeze and being on the water, but we may luck out and not even need super-thick winter coats to start things off. My wife and I will still be packing lots of layers and a winter coat for each of us, but we're crossing our fingers for yet another mild November weekend in NYC.

Traveled out of New York on several February cruises, and generally found that the weather was not "pool friendly" until day three. Frankly that's why we've decided, though we live in NJ, to sail out of NY ONLY during the summer months -- you lose just too much of the cruise time to still being in the cold weather.

I sailed on the Breakaway last Thanksgiving and it was not warm till we got to Port Canaveral. If you can afford it book a Haven cabin, specifically the aft ones like we had so you can use the Haven pool and also make use of the HUUUUGE balcony.

Traveled out of New York on several February cruises, and generally found that the weather was not "pool friendly" until day three. Frankly that's why we've decided, though we live in NJ, to sail out of NY ONLY during the summer months -- you lose just too much of the cruise time to still being in the cold weather.

I completely agree. Our first NCL cruise was to Bermuda last September and the weather was nice and warm the whole week (was actually 88 degrees for sail away!) In March we really only had 3 warm days and, although we had a great time, I'm not sure I would sail out on NY in the winter again (unless it was on one of those 2 week cruises).

I also agree about the Haven, I think that made a huge difference for the March trip. At least right after sail away I could hop in the hot tub in the Haven courtyard! If. It Haven, I would certainly consider a Spa pass if traveling out of NY in the winter months.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have cruised out of NY twice in November and will do it again in 2018. They move pretty quickly on that first day to get you to warm weather! We were off the coast of the Carolinas by the next morning both times. From Boston during that same time of the year, we woke up off the coast of Virginia. The boat is usually rocky that first night as the boat moves so fast, but it is worth it! I have witnesses pool weather on all of my cruises by the afternoon of that first full day at sea.

That's good to know. We are not pool people but our 8 yr old son loves the water slides on breakaway and wants to do the ropes course this time, now that he thinks he is tall enough. Hopefully he won't have to wait too long into the first full day to try out the ropes course..Me.... on the other hand, I will hoping for weather nice enough for me to find a comfortable seat to lounge in, with a nice drink in my hand!!!

We are from upstate New York and have sailed from NY/NJ in February and March well over a dozen times. Bring a light warm jacket for car to terminal and spend the first day and night getting to know the ship. By the morning you will be about 300 miles to the South. By the evening you, being from Maine, will be strolling the decks in shorts.. LOL

Enjoy.what we consider the best way to get away from the Winter.. Coming home you get a day or so to get used to cooler temps.

bosco

We are contemplating a cruise from NYC next Jan/Feb. Mostlikely we'll be shivering on the way to the ship, but once aboard we don't care about the weather outside. There's enough activity on the ship to keep us busy without stepping outside.