sitka vs skagway

bucsfan100

help ....

i need your opinion! i briefly touched on this recently, but i need a few opinions on whether you prefer sitka or skagway, and why???

we are traveling with 14 people ages 6-67. the only cruise that does the inside passage and hits glacier bay and skagway is ncl pearl and i have seen too many negatives on them. there are a few that do glacier bay and sitka as opposed to skagway. i would consider that route for the ease of traveling in and out of the same city as well as the cost savings.

holland america westerdam in one i've seen.

i would appreciate any information anyone has for me!

Both of these are great ports. I don't really know why I would choose one over the other, if the rest of the itinerary was what I wanted.

Skagway is a more common port and has more ships calling at it. It is a highly developed tourist town in full blast!

Sitka is not as frequented, although it is still a popular port. It is considered the prime place for sea otter searching.

Whichever you choose you will have a GREAT cruise!

For both Cathy and I, Sitka is the number 1 community in Alaska, not just as a cruise port. It's charming and tourism hasn't ruined it as it has Skagway and Ketchikan in particular. For the variety of wildlife that can be seen, the Sitka area is remarkable. But you may have different interests than us - if you have railfans in your group or want dozens of shops, Skagway is the place.

Murray

help ....

i need your opinion! i briefly touched on this recently, but i need a few opinions on whether you prefer sitka or skagway, and why???

we are traveling with 14 people ages 6-67. the only cruise that does the inside passage and hits glacier bay and skagway is ncl pearl and i have seen too many negatives on them. there are a few that do glacier bay and sitka as opposed to skagway. i would consider that route for the ease of traveling in and out of the same city as well as the cost savings.

holland america westerdam in one i've seen.

i would appreciate any information anyone has for me!

I haven't seen too many negatives on the Pearl at all. In fact, I just got back from a cruise on the Pearl and it was wonderful! I chose to go on the Pearl because of the reviews that I read on Cruise Critic, and I have no doubt that I made the right decision.

It sounds like you are in the same position that I was 2 months ago. I was trying to decide between the NCL Pearl or one of a couple cruises on Holland America. Some things to consider...Holland America has 2 mandatory formal nights each 1 week cruise. Formal nights on Holland America are very dressy. I read one Holland America review which said that changing clothes after a formal night dinner was frowned upon, and that if you did change that it was best to stay out of the common areas. Norwegian does not have a mandatory formal night. It is optional with most people opting not to dress up. The only restriction is that in the Summer Palace dining room no shorts or denim are allowed during dinner (You have 4 other free places to pick from, and more if you choose to pay). Holland America is known for attracting mainly an older crowd, especially to places like Alaska. Norwegian attracts people of all ages, which was especially evident on my cruise. Each age group was represented equally from small kids to people in wheelchairs. There were A LOT of families on my cruise. All in all, Holland America is known for a more formal and refined atmosphere. Norwegian has a much more laid back approach. This is especially evident in ship decor, and the personalities of the cruise staff on Norwegian. There was stuff to do for people of all ages on the Pearl.

These were the things that I took into account when I was booking my cruise. I decided that my family and I would have a much greater chance of having a good time if we went on the Norwegian Pearl. Reflecting back on my cruise after returning 5 days ago, I definitely made the right decision.

If you were not traveling with kids, I would suggest Holland America. Since you are, I believe the Norwegian Pearl, or another Norwegian ship would be right for you and your family. My advice is to read any and all reviews on any and all ships you may want to travel on and make your decision. Also, read over encompassing profiles of the possible cruise lines. That's what I did, and I ended up making the right one.

As for Sitka vs. Skagway, I can't really say as I have never been to Sitka. I have been to Skagway twice, and I have loved it twice. It is very touristy, but there are many independent shops and stores that are very cool in Skagway. There are also many excursions in Skagway that are family friendly, and would be appropriate for the age group you mentioned. For me the must is Glacier Bay. It was absolutely awesome! I don't think you can go wrong with either Sitka or Skagway, just go to Glacier Bay!

thanks for the tips. i agree that the ncl pearl itinerary is great...exactly what i want. no matter what else we do i want to see glacier bay!! i don't know when/if we will ever get back to alaska, so as hard as it is to pinpoint 1 thing as a must see over something else, glacier bay seems to be it!

every time i think i make a decision, something makes me change my mind! ugh!!

I don't dislike Skagway, but it was my least favorite port in my cruise. The other ports were Juneau and Ketchikan. I haven't been to Sitka, but I want to go. I don't have a strong desire to return to Skagway. It's just too touristy and the wildlife viewing opportunities are limited relative to other ports.

Both Skagway and Sitka have good things going for them. For Skagway, the driving to Emerald Lake using Murray's (Yukon) guide is great. The Russian history in Sitka and the Raptor Center in Sitka are extremely interesting.

One item of note, Skagway is a docking port, Sitka is a tendering one.

Hi

Have you looked into Royal Caribbean? I will be on Serenade in less than 22 days and we will be visiting Juneau, skagway, sitika and Hubbard Glacier.

I have been to skagway before and it was not one of my favorite ports but it was ok. I am actually not thrilled about going back to skagway but at least we will see sitika and Hubbard Glacier, two ports that I haven't seen yet. It was a toss up.

I did Holland America almost 3-4 years ago and it catered towards senior citizens. I think I was one of the few cruisers that were younger than 25 yrs old on this ship. They have formal dinners twice a week, which are very formal. I found the ship very mellow and too low-key for me.

Good luck. I booked my cruise in June and it was a tough decision. I looked at the ports and the ship.

Jennifer

I have been to both towns many times and they each have their own disdinctive areas going for them. Since you mentioned the age range from 6-67 there might be more at Skagway for you to do. There are many more excursions to pick from than Sitka. Also as a above poster mentioned Sitka is a tender port and I do know that on our last cruise there for some reason it took forever to get off of the ship which made less time in port. Port time in Skagway is usually very long where in Sitka it is alot less. So that might help you with your decision. Whatever way you go both towns have their own unique style.

Marilyn

Having been to both ports I can't say I would recommend Sitka over Skagway. The Raptor Center is nice but really not worth going to Sitka for and the Russian sites are just okay in my opinion (and I'm a history major). Skagway offers many excursions and independent touring options that should appeal to most travelers.

If I was planning for a group of people ages 6 - 67 I would pick a cruise line other than HAL. I sailed on the Oosterdam this year and was truly disappointed in the food, service and overall energy level on the ship. The itinerary from Seattle - with all of the cruising in the outside passage didn't compare with past cruises either...so pay attention to the entire itinerary. Glacier Bay should not be missed for any potential one time Alaska cruise. We saw no wildlife on the trip into Hubbard Glacier like you see going in and out of Glacier Bay and the surrounding area.

So, based on your choices I would go with the Pearl for the itinerary even though I have yet to sail on NCL.

Alaska is truly awesome!!!

Having been to both ports I can't say I would recommend Sitka over Skagway. The Raptor Center is nice but really not worth going to Sitka for and the Russian sites are just okay in my opinion (and I'm a history major). Skagway offers many excursions and independent touring options that should appeal to most travelers.

If I was planning for a group of people ages 6 - 67 I would pick a cruise line other than HAL. I sailed on the Oosterdam this year and was truly disappointed in the food, service and overall energy level on the ship. The itinerary from Seattle - with all of the cruising in the outside passage didn't compare with past cruises either...so pay attention to the entire itinerary. Glacier Bay should not be missed for any potential one time Alaska cruise. We saw no wildlife on the trip into Hubbard Glacier like you see going in and out of Glacier Bay and the surrounding area.

So, based on your choices I would go with the Pearl for the itinerary even though I have yet to sail on NCL.

Alaska is truly awesome!!!

LEtue,

How can you say that the history of Sitka was just okay? I'm not a history major, and I was thrilled to see the hill where Baranhof has his castle, and the U.S. flag was raised for the first time after the purchase of Alaska. And the first building you see as you are tendering off the ship is not a hotel or a hospital, but a Home for Pioneers that found themselves penniless after a fruitless search for gold, that is still in operation today for the homeless and penniless. I was truly amazed in this modern day when other bigger cities can't find a way to help their homeless that a tiny little town like Sitka can manage to keep such a large home open and operating. Then the Russian Orthodox Cathedral in the center of town, is a very unusual and beautiful building, aside from the Russian history of the town. And the little hop on/hop off bus that takes you around to 7 or 8 sights for only $10 was just amazing (when other places charge $25 & $35 for similar). We caught it at the pier, and rode up to the Raptor Center (I truly loved seeing those beautiful birds). Then there is a path through the rainforest downhill to the Museum and National Park where they have demonstrations on totems and canoe carving, dancing, etc. In the rainforest we saw a Russian Memorial with a plaque describing the battle between the Russians and the Natives. Then caught the little shuttle bus back to town and walked along the stores and did a little shopping. Sitka was my favorite port from Anchorage, to Seward, to Juneau, to Ketchikan and ending in Vancouver.

For my upcoming cruisetour next week, we will visit Skagway with it's gold days history, but I'm prepared for the touristy atmosphere, but it's where the cruisetour to the Yukon up the Whitepass Railway begins. I wanted to see more of interior Alaska this trip so we will be on a land tour for 8 days following the 3 day cruise through HAL.

bucsfan100,

I chose Sitka for my first visit and was not sorry I did, after reading other posters comments on the tourist hollywood set feel of Skagway. You have to decide for yourself what you and your family's interests are. There is actually history to both sites. You will have a great trip to Alaska, regardless of which ports you visit.

It's so funny how many opinions there are on the same places. So for what it's worth, I loved Skagway. I thought it was quaint and beautiful. When I get back to Alaska I plan to see Skagway again and hope to see Sitka.

That's a tough one.

We really enjoyed Sitka. The Raptor center was fantastic for us, and we really loved all the Russian history. (However, I have a degree in political science and my husband teaches history... we're both history buffs.)

Skagway, well.. we took an all-day excursion. That was good. There was far more, it seemed, to keep us occupied in Sitka than in Skagway, and we could have spent longer than we did in Sitka easily.

I think it depends on what you want to do, really. The train in Skagway was very enjoyable, and our trip to play with the dogs and stuff i Carcross was great for my husky-mad husband (If it hadn't been so dirty, I swear he'd have been rolling on the ground with them.)

But Sitka was so much more charming to us, and we really appreciated the break from the constant barrage of tourist traps.

haven't been to Alaska yet but we're on the Pearl 9/2. We've cruised with Princess, Costa, NCL (Sun) and really loved NCL. Our Sun cruise was with a group of about 25 people of all ages and everyone loved it. Looking forward to the Pearl for Alaska and the Star for Mexican Riveria maybe next year. Almost every review I've read on the Pearl has been excellent - if she's half as good as i've read we'll be more than pleased.

kj

...i need a few opinions on whether you prefer sitka or skagway, and why???

I have not been to Sitka, but loved Skagway. The White Pass railroad (about 3 hr ride) is spectacular and enjoyable for all ages. I would have loved to see Sitka, though.

...the only cruise that does the inside passage and hits glacier bay and skagway is ncl pearl and i have seen too many negatives on them.

Have you looked at Princess? I went on Sea Princess and I know that Princess still does Inside Passage with Glacier Bay and Skagway. My trip covered those and current itineraries still do. From the Princess website:

Voyage of the Glaciersspacer.gif

This cruise between Vancouver, B.C., and Whittier, gateway to Anchorage, is a full itinerary that's sure to please. Explore the Inside Passage to Ketchikan, Juneau and Skagway. Witness the wonders of Glacier Bay National Park. Sail the Gulf of Alaska past ice-age attractions, including 16 blue glaciers in College Fjord. Plus, take in the breathtaking beauty of Prince William Sound.

Hope this helps. We LOVED our Princess cruise.

i have looked at princess, but their round trips do not go to glacier bay. i guess if i have to give up one or the other, i'd rather do glacier bay and sitka over skagway and a different glacier. i will still consider ncl, but again today i had a travel agent dissuade me from going with ncl.

too many decisions!

i did find hal amsterdam r/t from seattle also.

i have looked at princess, but their round trips do not go to glacier bay. i guess if i have to give up one or the other, i'd rather do glacier bay and sitka over skagway and a different glacier. i will still consider ncl, but again today i had a travel agent dissuade me from going with ncl.

too many decisions!

i did find hal amsterdam r/t from seattle also.

Has that travel agent cruised on NCL? I would ask him/her that. The only reason that I ask is that the travel agent that I booked with actually pushed me toward NCL. You know why? Because she had actually cruised on NCL and even cruised on the exact ship that we were considering. She even sent me 100+ pictures that she had taken of the ship herself. He/she could be discouraging you from NCL because, from what I have looked at anyway, NCL's prices are lower than competitors, meaning a lower commission.

agabbymama, I guess that what makes these boards so great as we can all come here and express our opinions. The short walk through the rainforest was very nice as well as some of the historic sites. I just feel that those not making multiple trips to Alaska and considering the ages in the group - Skagway gets my vote.

For me Alaska is all about what is out of town and Skagway offers so many available options including the Yukon and Haines. Just my opinion though......

Hmm....both have something to offer but I'd give the edge for Sitka. Skagway gets very crowded and does not have much of a local population; in fact, after tourist season, the town basically shuts down save for the 800 people that live there on a year round basis. It does have the White Pass Railroad though which is worth a trip IF the weather is good.

Sitka on the other hand may be the most beautifully located city in SE Alaska and it's not overrun by those obnoxious t-shirt and jewelry shops imported for the cruise ships. Not all cruise lines go there and it is definitely worth a visit. The downtown area is very small and has plenty to do; many more locally owned business as well.

i have looked at princess, but their round trips do not go to glacier bay. i guess if i have to give up one or the other, i'd rather do glacier bay and sitka over skagway and a different glacier...

I never looked at r/t Alaska before, but after reading your comment, I wanted to take a look. From the Princess site:

Alaska Connoisseurspacer.gif

This exciting new 14-day voyage cruises deeper into Alaska to explore out-of-the-way places rarely featured on other itineraries. Visit Seward, Valdez and Kodiak as well as popular Inside Passage ports of Juneau, Skagway, Sitka and Ketchikan. Glacier-viewing in Glacier Bay National Park and a stop in Victoria, B.C. complete this unique, 2-week exploration roundtrip from Vancouver.

OK...so I don't know if you would want to do a 14-day (how long are the other r/t options you found?), HOWEVER...you could get the r/t you want (though it is via Vancouver vs. Seattle, don't think that should be a big deal -- or is it?), you would get Glacier Bay, and best of all, you would get BOTH Skagway AND Sitka. Another major bonus is Kodiak. I have a good friend who has been working in Anchorage for almost a year now, and he has to go to Kodiak often for a project. He RAVES over Kodiak!

Considering this is a large (14 people) trip, there will probably be at least a few who will never have this opportunity again -- a once in a lifetime trip. You could see all you hope for plus a lot more, while also getting the r/t. If you have the time and if the pricing works, it would really be worth it IMHO.:D

• 10 years later...