What else to do in Falmouth besides Dunn's River Falls?

unseemlygamer

Hello again. In a couple weeks, my parents and I are going on the Allure of the Seas to the Western Caribbean, which I plan to vlog on YouTube, and review here.

I've decided on what I want to do in Cozumel and Labadee, but not in Falmouth.

Our time in Falmouth on this cruise is from 7am to 4pm (ship's time)

I first thought of doing Dunn's River Falls, but it seems extremely strenuous. And I'm not the most fit person out there, so I wouldn't wanna go zip-lining either.

So besides Dunn's River Falls, what else is there to do, whether through an excursion or independently?

I haven't been to Falmouth before, so I definitely don't wanna skip it, as I plan to vlog every port of call.

for the record. Dunns River Falls isn't in Falmouth .... it is in Ocho Rios and from Fal' you take a bus about 35 miles

IMO the standard 'cruise ship DRF experience' is no more difficult than climbing stairs but that's my opinion. Been MANY times and we go 'up the middle' which IS strenuous but WAY more fun.

drf8.jpg

see the line of people holding hands to the left? A cruise special on the tour path . .

and here they pass behind us as we stop and enjoy one of the 'pools' along the way

drf9.jpg

Also out by Ocho is Blue Hole and Mystic Mountain with the "bobsled" (google for info)

The other direction from Fal' is Montego Bay (about 18 miles west) and there are popular beaches here, most often mentioned is Doctors Cave - popular as you do not need to pay a resort fee, just a small admission charge.

Edited by Capt_BJ

I visited Falmouth on the Oasis last year, and was very disappointed with the area. Dirty and unsafe. We booked a beach day with lunch, but it was pretty poor. A long ride there, not a nice area, food was not great, either. I would not recommend it. As someone else mentioned, Dunns River is not in Falmouth. It, too, is a long bus ride there. We did Dunns River on one other cruise, but if you have any mobility issues, this is not for you. I would never want to go back to Falmouth again. Very disappointed. I would just stay on the ship, and enjoy having pool chair availability!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I visited Falmouth on the Oasis last year, and was very disappointed with the area. Dirty and unsafe. We booked a beach day with lunch, but it was pretty poor. A long ride there, not a nice area, food was not great, either. I would not recommend it. As someone else mentioned, Dunns River is not in Falmouth. It, too, is a long bus ride there. We did Dunns River on one other cruise, but if you have any mobility issues, this is not for you. I would never want to go back to Falmouth again. Very disappointed. I would just stay on the ship, and enjoy having pool chair availability!

I am aware that Dunn's River is in Ocho Rios, as opposed to Falmouth, and because it'd be a long transfer, that would make for a long day, so that's another reason why I decided not to do it.

Your opinion from your experience is your opinion - I'm not going to judge you - but I myself have not been to Falmouth before, and feel that I should at least do something in port.

I am aware that Dunn's River is in Ocho Rios, as opposed to Falmouth, and because it'd be a long transfer, that would make for a long day, so that's another reason why I decided not to do it.

Your opinion from your experience is your opinion - I'm not going to judge you - but I myself have not been to Falmouth before, and feel that I should at least do something in port.

Don't let either the ride or the fear scare you off.

First, Falmouth to Ocho Rios (which is where several popular attractions) is accomplished by traveling on the A1 (or Queen's) highway which is quite scenic in my opinion. You'll have a pretty constant view of the ocean to your left and views of the hills/mountains/houses/goats/etc. to your right. It is around an hour long ride but it goes fast in my opinion.

Some ideas besides DRF include:

Green Grotto Caves http://greengrottocavesja.com/

Mystic Mountain http://www.rainforestadventure.com/jamaica-mystic-mountain/

Konoko Falls http://www.konokofalls.com/

Martha Brae Rafting http://www.jamaicarafting.com/

Doctor's Cave http://www.doctorscavebathingclub.com/

Prospect Plantation http://www.prospectoutbackadventures.com/

Bob Marley Nine Miles https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147309-d150543-Reviews-Nine_Miles-Jamaica.html

Don't let either the ride or the fear scare you off.

First, Falmouth to Ocho Rios (which is where several popular attractions) is accomplished by traveling on the A1 (or Queen's) highway which is quite scenic in my opinion. You'll have a pretty constant view of the ocean to your left and views of the hills/mountains/houses/goats/etc. to your right. It is around an hour long ride but it goes fast in my opinion.

Some ideas besides DRF include:

Green Grotto Caves http://greengrottocavesja.com/

Mystic Mountain http://www.rainforestadventure.com/jamaica-mystic-mountain/

Konoko Falls http://www.konokofalls.com/

Martha Brae Rafting http://www.jamaicarafting.com/

Doctor's Cave http://www.doctorscavebathingclub.com/

Prospect Plantation http://www.prospectoutbackadventures.com/

Bob Marley Nine Miles https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147309-d150543-Reviews-Nine_Miles-Jamaica.html

Come to think of it, there are some excursions that do some of these attractions in addition to Dunn's River Falls.

But it seems like some of you are telling me that I should do Dunn's River?

Dunn's River is a national park, climbing the falls is just one thing that can be done there

you can view the falls without getting wet

you can get wet in one of the pools like I picture by using stairs all the way

there are gardens and a beach

sadly most excursions set you up for one quick climb and out ... admission is actually for all day ....

Mystic Mountain

yes there is a zip line .. but also much more ... you can just ride the 'ski lift' to the top, enjoy things up there then ride back down .... good view from the top of the mountain a pool, restaurant ....

Hello again. In a couple weeks, my parents and I are going on the Allure of the Seas to the Western Caribbean, which I plan to vlog on YouTube, and review here.

I've decided on what I want to do in Cozumel and Labadee, but not in Falmouth.

Our time in Falmouth on this cruise is from 7am to 4pm (ship's time)

I first thought of doing Dunn's River Falls, but it seems extremely strenuous. And I'm not the most fit person out there, so I wouldn't wanna go zip-lining either.

So besides Dunn's River Falls, what else is there to do, whether through an excursion or independently?

I haven't been to Falmouth before, so I definitely don't wanna skip it, as I plan to vlog every port of call.

We are doing the "Rios Kayak" excursion next week. I'll let you know how it goes !

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think everyone going to Jamaica should experience DRF once in their lives. It's a pretty cool adventure. While I wouldn't suggest it to someone with physical limitations or for a young child, pretty much any adult can do it.

Blue Hole, Mystic Mountain, River Bumpkin Farm, Rafting on Martha Brae, White River Tubing, Konoko Falls are all other options as well.

Because Falmouth is located "sort of " between Montego Bay and Ocho Rios, you have plenty of options, but the drive is a little longer to some (shorter to others).

I went to Jamaica for Spring Break a long time ago and hated everything about it--except our trip to DRF. If you go to Jamaica and have a chance to go to DRF, you should. I'm looking at upcoming cruises and BF wants to go on one that stops at Falmouth. The only reason I'm considering it is because I would like to go back to DRF. It's kind of like going to Paris and seeing the Louvre, or Chicago and seeing the Sears Tower. You just need to do it. Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

I went to DRF 2 years ago and my daughter wanted to do this but I told my wife I had no desire as it looked in pictures to be a lot of work. When I got there we were walking around and we noticed that there were little old ladies that appeared to be about 70-75 going up. I thought if they can do it so can I so I told my wife lets go. We joined our group and had a lady that was 74 I believe going with us. I'm larger but used to be very athletic. I can get around but my knees sometimes give me trouble. I managed to make it up without any problems as did this 74 year old. As long as you can walk normal and get around you will be ok. If you struggle to walk or get up stairs I don't recommend it. They will help by giving you a hand to pull you up so you do have help. They tell you where to step when you need to step in specific spots. I did it once and have no desire to do it again but I am glad I did it once.

I had a similar question regarding Falmouth with ideas other than Dunn's River Falls and started looking at one of the 2 Rum factory tours; either Appleton or Hampden.

Has anyone been on any of the Rum factory tours?

FYI, we will be on the Oasis of the Seas in late September.

• 3 weeks later...

I doing DRF to be a little strenuous. You do need to be able to go up stairs so if you have bad knees it can be harder. I did fine but some of the steps are steeper. People always help though so it wasn't really an issue. The photo posted above really shows you. If you can handle stairs then I would suggest doing it. It was really neat and beautiful.

• 2 weeks later...
DRF is not strenuous at all. I did it while 4-5 months pregnant and would recommend anyone who can walk without assistance go. It is beautiful!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm happy to read this. DW and I will be in Falmouth in October. Part of the reason for choosing the itinerary we did was because DW REALLY wants to see the falls. We recently found out she is pregnant and will be around 22 weeks when we cruise. When looking at the excursions through the cruise line, they all say pregnant women should not do the excursion. Hearing someone else successfully did it while pregnant helps a lot! :)

• 4 months later...
I'm happy to read this. DW and I will be in Falmouth in October. Part of the reason for choosing the itinerary we did was because DW REALLY wants to see the falls. We recently found out she is pregnant and will be around 22 weeks when we cruise. When looking at the excursions through the cruise line, they all say pregnant women should not do the excursion. Hearing someone else successfully did it while pregnant helps a lot! :)

From my perspective I would NOT do it while pregnant. I did DRF with my DD when she was about 8; I am 5'2" and was probably around 110" at the time. It was all that I could do to keep both of us upright while getting knocked around quite a bit by the water and I consider myself a strong mama bear. I would not do it personally while pregnant, but everyone has their own choice to make. I would certainly consult your OB before booking.

I've done DRF, and I cannot imagine anyone 5 months pregnant doing it safely. I would play it safe, for the sake of your unborn, and not do it!

We too were looking for an alternative to Dunns River Falls because we were travelling with my wife's elderly parents and there was no way that climbing Dunns River Falls was an option for them and they were not about to jump into the Blue Hole.

We searched for some alternatives. In the process of doing that we decided that we needed to hire a private driver and communicated with all the top rated tour companies on Trip Advisor - we chose TravelJamaicaTours as they responded comprehensively and quickly and outstanding reviews. It was a good choice.

We worked with Errol Bowen and decided to go to Konoko Falls, Discovery Bay, Ocho Rios and Scotchies for Lunch.

Konoka Falls is a beautiful tropical garden with a small zoo of local birds and animals. Your admission includes a guide who was very good. It is very beautiful and relaxing but it also as the name implies has a falls which you can also climb and nice views of Ocho Rios.

Discovery Bay is small stop where Christopher Columbus first came ashore in Jamaica and has some interesting machinery from Jamaica's history.

Scotchies provides delicious jerk barbecue.

Errol Bowen is first class, articulate and knowledgeable and with him we felt safe throughout.

He went out of his way to cater to our requests including finding a place to try unique Jamaican Fruit. It was a fun and an educational day.

You can customize your own itinerary with Errol and I recommend him.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review-g147312-d1604979-Reviews-Travel_Jamaica_Tours-Ocho_Rios_Saint_Ann_Parish_Jamaica.html

I found out I was pregnant after we booked our cruise oh so many years ago. We went to DRF and watched but there was no way I was taking a chance and climbing those falls and risking my baby. That was 27 yrs ago and I still haven't done them but I will some day. Protect your baby at all cost!

• 1 month later...