CTMA ferry/cruise from Montreal to Magdalen Islands

• 3 months later...

My husband and I cruised on CTMA Ferry, m/v CTMA Vacancier, from Montreal to Magdalen Islands (Les Iles de la Madeleine) and back, for a week from 26th August, 2011 to 2nd September, 2011.

MV CTMA Vacancier

12,000 tons

126 meters long

22 meters wide

220 Cabins

450 passengers

Decks 8, passenger decks 3

http://www.ctma.ca

We chose their “Cruise and Taste of the islands “all inclusive cruise”, which included all touring on Magdalen Islands, and Chandler, as well as top quality meals in restaurants on the Island . There were also packages which included cycling, cruise and adventure and arts and culture.

Guided tours were available for sale on board, for those who have just booked the ferry.

I have cruised on working ferries before, so I knew what to expect. However, this cruise exceeded my expectations.

The Cons

We had an interior cabin, with private washroom, with a double bed and a hide a bed (FF). This was a tiny cabin, with no attempt made to beautify the cabin, eg no bedspreads, just blankets, no posters on the wall. etc. So little room, we had to negotiate where we would stand when we were both in there together, getting dressed, etc. There was one tiny shelf, which we stood my suitcase up under, and one narrow open wardrobe, with a small shelf at the top, which my husband pushed the top of his bag under. There was a railing on the floor under the bed, which made under the bed not suitable for storing luggage, but it was fine for storing shoes.

The less you take on this cruise the better, however we were travelling for over two months.

This was a French speaking ship, however many spoke English and all tried to communicate in English, although French was their first language. We had a special room for meetings of English speakers, as well as an English speaker allocated to us. Everyone was friendly. This was a happy ship.

Soon after we boarded, passengers were introduced to the officers and heads of department, which set the tone for the cruise.

The passengers were in the older age bracket, however there was one young couple on their honeymoon, with their bicycles. We met lots of interesting people in our “English speaking group”, as well as some French speaking, who were bilingual. We made some good friends.

The Pros

The cruise and ports of call were the highlight. . There was not one boring moment on board, or whilst on the mainly French Speaking islands.

This was a fascinating journey along the St Lawrence River, from Montreal, sailing near the Gaspe Coast, Quebec, three days/two nights at the Magdalen Islands, stopover at Chandler and passage between Bonaventure Island and Perce Rock, sailing in the Charlevoix Region and a stopover in Quebec City.

Meals

Breakfast and lunch were cafeteria style, in the restaurant, whilst dinner, in the dining room, was full service. The dinner was delicious and better than any food I’ve had on any other cruise. The food on the island, on our “Cruise and Taste Tour”, was superb, up to 5 star.

The entertainment

Nightly entertainment, in the Lounge, was another highlight. On our cruise, the entertainers were Bertrand Deraspe, Janine Leclerc and the Rebels (Stever Poirier, Welley Turbide and Jean-Eudes Turbide). These were wonderful talented local musicians and singers, with beautiful voices. This was foot tapping music, which you were welcome to join in. The performers change each cruise.

There was a small dance floor, on which passengers and crew did a little line dancing.

On the last night the crew entertained us. It was soon obvious the musical talent was not limited to the performers. This was a fine way to finish the cruise.

MM DownUnder, thanks for that review. I made a similar cruise about 55 years ago as a youngster on a ship called the North Gaspe that sailed from Quebec. My room mate was a French Priest who did not speak English, but we got along O.K. The new ship looks really nice. Here is a link to their Englsih website: http://www.ctma.ca/traversier-madeleine/index_ang.cfm

MM DownUnder, thanks for that review. I made a similar cruise about 55 years ago as a youngster on a ship called the North Gaspe that sailed from Quebec. My room mate was a French Priest who did not speak English, but we got along O.K. The new ship looks really nice. Here is a link to their Englsih website: http://www.ctma.ca/traversier-madeleine/index_ang.cfm

Thank you. The video captures the essence of the cruise perfectly.

• 2 years later...