Have you seen this?

barante

NEW FLIGHT RULES

Have you seen this? http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-39333424

So my laptop could be banned from the U.S., and so would be my camera and Kindle. Seriously. But only if you fly carriers from certain countries.

All I can say is that I am glad missus and I am flying from IAD to Toronto to Dubai on Air Canada. O. . .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.591adfca3bbc

I am caught in the middle of this. Flying back from Dubai on Emirates May 5 direct from Dubai to Boston coming home from cruise . Have tickets for almost a year. Next Jan. flying from Cape Town to Doha and then directly to IDA on Qatar airlines.

This really has nothing to do with safety. In fact the opposite. Lithium batteries in the hold are less safe than in the cabin because of temperature and pressure. NOT TO MENTION THEFT!!! Dubai and Doha and several other of the airports are all highly rated for modern security and safety. No flights but middle eastern companies.

This is economics. Plain and simple. I researched for a long time before purchasing my tickets. No American plane goes directly to any of these airports. You have to fly to Europe and take an European carrier to final destination. The Middle Eastern airlines fly directly to several American cities. They fly the latest and nicest of planes on these long routes and they do it for much cheaper. For my flight in 5 weeks, the price for economy was less than $900 roundtrip Boston to Dubai to Singapore and return Dubai to Boston. Any other American or European carrier was over $3000 economy and you had to have a stop or 2. Time goes from 14 hours to 35 hours on a typical itinerary. America is whimpering because they don't want to compete with these state "assisted" airlines on price, convenience or service. So instead of improving American carrier product they slap this ridiculous ban on electronics in the cabin. but only for return to USA because can't get an American carrier there. I am really concerned with what will happen next. This is really isolationism of the worse kind and possibly a twofer --get the Muslims at the same time as you are limiting competition for US airlines. Safety my foot -- nothing at all to do with safety.:mad:

The UK just joined the party, albeit with fewer restricted countries and airports.

Standby for Canada and the rest of the Western world to adopt similar procedures (and with the "Muslim" countries to retaliate with demanding same bans from foreign carriers to come to their countries.

This will create major chaos at airports, but also line the pockets of airlines. Now nearly everybody will have to check in luggage and therefore pay for the privilege.

Airlines around the world better go back to the good old days where at least one checked bag is transported FOC, and also raise the weight limit by at least 5 kg.

On the positive side, I now have an excuse not to work whilst flying and be "off line", AND there should be more overhead locker space!

I don't see it being a big deal for cruisers, it just means the tablets etc go in your checked luggage (as long as you remember to do that before handing over your checked cases).

So, instead of burying your nose in your I-Pad in the departure lounge, you'll have to talk to your other half. ;p

(Shame if it goes world-wide though, I recently used an airline - Norwegian - with internet wifi during the flight :cool:)

The big problem is for short-haul folk (weekend-breakers & business commuters) who don't need checked luggage. They'll have to pay to check luggage just to be able to take their electronics.

And of course they'll be joining the throng at the carousel.

JB :)

From what is said on the news this is a security issue - reports that IS is working towards getting explosives onboard in electronics. A nuisance, but if it needs done to stop bombs on board there is no option. Not sure I see the point of just doing it for some routes though as it would be easy enough for a terrorist to get a flight which originates in another country and anyway most terrorist attacks seem to come from homegrown residents in both Europe and the US.

Valuables (defined as including the banned items), put in checked luggage are not insured by our travel insurance policy, which is a big pain though - not sure how that will pan out. The big thing that bothers me is that cameras are included - I would not fancy subjecting a good camera to that sort of change in temperature (regards condensation) or chance of breakage. On some hols it is nice to have the DSLR with us - hardly worth owning it otherwise..

So interesting that based on the same intel, the UK and US ban it from different countries. No way I'd put my electronics/camera in the hold, you have a very good chance of not seeing them again. Happy to see the UK didn't ban them from Dubai as that's our route home.

Has the put your electronics in the hold started yet? Nothing on Emirates site. I have tickets for next week but won't be bothered probably until return trip. Not safety -- It is $2000 cheaper and 13 hours faster to fly through Dubai than to fly alliance and legacy airliners to US from Aftrica/Asia and others. My flight Boston to Dubai to Singapore. Dubai to Boston return. $928 roundtrip economy. 12 hours 14 minutes from Dubai to Boston.

America should concentrate on making their product better and at a better price rather than trying to pull another airline down. As far as security -- Bad guys only buy tickets from 10 airlines? Bombs only blow holes in the plane if they are riding in comfort up in the cabin? Only bombs on direct non-stop flights. Oh my hard to believe it all!

Anybody have any information on the requirements for traveling from Dubai? I would love to know before I start my trip next week where I will come back from Dubai on a flight qualified by the announced new rules (Emirates non-stop Dubai to Boston).

Anybody have any information on the requirements for traveling from Dubai? I would love to know before I start my trip next week where I will come back from Dubai on a flight qualified by the announced new rules (Emirates non-stop Dubai to Boston).

Electronics have to be in the hold with the exception of your phone.

• 3 weeks later...

My wife and I returned from Abu Dhabi through Doha to Miami on April 10. we flew Qatar Air business class. We kept our 2 tablets and my laptop in carry on luggage until the departure gate in Doha. There they screened all carry on luggage--and placed our tablets and my laptop in bubble wrap --and put them in a cardboard box. They the gave us a receipt to claim them in Miami. In Miami there was a separate desk to claim these items with your receipt. The whole process was painless and very secure.

We had purchased some paperbacks books to read in Dubai Mall ( Kinokuniya Book Store). The flight was great and we would have no problem flying the same way.

My understanding is that the recent USA raid in Yemen yielded info that airlines flying from the Middle East to the USA and some Europe destinations were a potential terror target. Safety procedures are ok with me and my wife.,