Buying Vanilla in Mexico??

Hotheels

I always find the local supermarket and buy my vanilla there along with some other goodies. The supermarket doesn't jack up prices for the tourists. I once found a walmart and shopped there for liquor and candy and vanilla to bring home for sovineirs.

Yes, the best place we have found it the local grocery store, where locals buy there vanilla and tequilla. You get great prices on both of these items there.....and you can see which ones you should buy rather than having to buy the one brand the vendor on main street stocks.

Gigante is one name that I remember for shopping, and yes Walmart is a good stop too!

Please be aware that you may not be getting what you think you're getting when you buy vanilla in Mexico. They don't have the strict laws like we do here. Don't be duped into buying something fake, masquerading as something real. If you're buying the inexpensive stuff, the chance is very, very high that you're not buying high quality (or real) vanilla extract. Real, high quality Mexican vanilla extract is expensive -- just like in the US.

http://www.vanilla.com/html/facts-mexican.html

An excerpt:

"How do you know if it's pure vanilla? There are a few tip-offs:

* Is it amber colored, dark and murky, or clear? Clear is pure, synthetic vanillin. It's often called "crystal vanilla." Dark and murky is synthetic vanillin, most likely ethyl vanillin derived from coal tar. It may also be dark because it contains red dye that we've banned in the U.S. or it may contain caramel coloring. If it's truly amber-colored it may be natural vanilla.

* What is the alcohol content? Usually the synthetics range from no alcohol to about 2% alcohol (which acts as a stabilizer). There are some vanilla-vanillin blends and some cheap-quality vanillas that have 25% alcohol, but they aren't worth buying either.

* How much did you pay for it? This is the biggest tip-off. If it's in a big bottle and you paid $20.00 or less, it's absolutely not vanilla extract. Pure vanilla extract usually costs more in Mexico because only one company makes quality extract, and only in small quantities."

Also, beware of courmarin!

Coumarin is a the bad guy of the vanilla industry. It is derived from the Brazilian tonka bean from Dipteryx ordorata, a tree. The bean can be used to make flavoring very similar to vanilla. Sadly the concoction is dreadfully toxic and can cause liver damage and is a know carcinogen.

Coumarin is used extensively in synthetic vanillas manufactured in Mexico. The U.S. banned imports of the coumarin laced products back in the 1950's. Unfortunately the products still make their way into the U.S.

If you purchase any Mexican vanilla make sure it is clearly labeled "courmarin free".

See this link for the "Straight Dope" about it: http://www.straightdope.com/columns/011207.html

One wonders how much vanilla you can consume..I only use it in baking& whipping cream.

on the other hand, if you are on Coumadin it might be cheaper to buy the vanilla than the prescription....yes I am being facisious

• 9 years later...
Please be aware that you may not be getting what you think you're getting when you buy vanilla in Mexico. They don't have the strict laws like we do here. Don't be duped into buying something fake, masquerading as something real. If you're buying the inexpensive stuff, the chance is very, very high that you're not buying high quality (or real) vanilla extract. Real, high quality Mexican vanilla extract is expensive -- just like in the US.

http://www.vanilla.com/html/facts-mexican.html

That's the Vanilla Queen's website. She moved it to vanillaqueen.com. You can find that article or something similar here: http://www.vanillaqueen.com/whats-the-best-vanilla-extract/

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I grew up in South Texas. We would cross the border so my mom could get her vanilla. The vanilla tastes better and is not processed. It is real vanilla and you can buy a huge bottle that would last for years for a quarter of the price of vanilla in the US.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Read the ingredients. I have found they are on the label. The shorter the list the better the vanilla. I have generally found NOT to buy any vanilla I see right at the port. Good advice to find a supermarket. In Cozumel I was told to go to the liquor store as the best vanilla contains alcohol. At any rate I have always been able to find really good vanilla in Mexico at a really good price.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I've heard many people talk about buying Vanilla in Mexico. What is this all about? Is it some special Vanilla?? And where is the best place to buy it....PV, Mazatlan or Cabo? Just curious :) And while I'm thinking about it....what is the best Tequila to bring back, and where should I get it???? Thank you!!

One thing to watch out for is the artificially flavored vanilla. Its very cheap in Mexico and many people buy it thinking its the real thing because they bought it in Mexico. REAL vanilla is not cheap anymore in Mexico. But it's so strong, you usually only need to add half to your recipes. So I only need a big every few years or so.