RIO tour guide recommendation

jtslattery

My recommendation is Rafa (Rafael Torres Lopes).

http://donrafaguestsinrio.blogspot.com/

Also look at his hundreds of informational posts about Rio and Brazil on the travel forum of VirtualTourist, dating back many years.

(and before any nit pickers flag this post..... He is a friend. However, he became a friend of mine, as he has become with the majority of his clients, while acting in the role of guide. The doors to homes of friends/former-clients are happily open to him in many parts of the world at any time.)

I have experienced his tours, both on and off the beaten tourist path. He is amusing, even whimsical, very knowledgable, passionate about his city and country, and dedicated to showing his newest friends the best and most interesting facets of Rio.

He has also helped me with trips to other parts of Brazil.

------

However, insofar as "dated" information on this site for guides, the good ones don't disappear from the scene in Rio. They continue to work, to make a decent living, mostly based on client word of mouth. Contact anyone whose good review you have seen here and whose profile interests you.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

Rafa Rafa Rafa...great guide, he knows soooo many people while you're out and about with him and ifyou have a list of places you particularly want to visit he'll work with you so you can do all you want. We spent the day with him in March this year

Sandy un Spain

• 1 year later...

In January we (a group of 4) used TourGuideGus (Augusto Guimaraes) for a day of sightseeing. He knows how to organize the day so that we were efficient in seeing and experiencing the sights - we were on the first train up to Christ the Redeemer and had no line (that was luck he said) at Sugarloaf - and we were never rushed. His English is terrific - he was a high school foreign exchange student in the US back in the day - and his knowledge of the city is exhaustive. He is very funny, companionable and energetic. Highly recommended!

• 1 month later...

We also spent the day with Manu Peclat in Rio before we boarded our cruise, back in March 2017. I cannot recommend him highly enough! Very enthusiastic and knowledgeable - loves his city and we did too! Excellent English, as spent some early years in Texas. Driver and nice air conditioned car was a real bonus, too.