Granville Island restaurants

Chinese? Nowhere - Granville Island is very, very white.

Seafood - Vancouver Fish Company has a tasty and very seafoody menu, but feel obliged to offer the caveat that we just had some painfully-slow service there over the weekend (it was very, very busy so we cut them some slack, but many waitrons/bussers seem new or poorly-trained based on how inefficiently they were handling stuff within their own control). Prior visits at quieter times of year (we usually avoid GI like the plague late May-early Sep) we had no service problems, and the food quality didn't seem to suffer, but if you;re visiting soon you may experience similarly not-yet-trained-up-properly FoH staff.

Edible Canada has been our pick for good food on GI since they opened - not super-seafoody, but it's very locavore (occasionally Canada-wide rather than hyprlocal, but always seasonal). Sandbar and Bridges are probably more what you're asking for in terms of menu, but I find they're both a bit too old-school and a bit overpriced for what you get. The food's not bad by any means, just simple. And if I were in the mood for simple seafood on GI, I'd hit Tony's for some seriously old-school fried fitems (or raw oysters if that's more your speed).

Here's quick rundown on a few of the main places.

Go Fish: My favourite lunch is to head just off the Island to Go Fish (aka Go Fish Ocean Emporium) by the False Creek Fisherman's Wharf/Harbour Authority. It's about a 10 minute walk along the Seawall. Their key items are a tempura battered fish and chips with a couple of options: cod, halibut, and salmon. It's one of my top 3 fish and chip places in Vancouver. They also do an extremely tasty salmon tacone (ie taco). I used to like their daily soup which is usually some form of a coconut thai curry fish chowder but I find it a bit hit and miss nowadays. Their fish, po'boy, and daily special sandwiches are good too.

The problems to be aware of are that it's run out of a shipping container with a limited mix of seating and during peak periods, you can be waiting 45mins from waiting to order to getting your food. Trick: Calling in your order sometimes works.

Bridges: My second choice would likely be lunch on Bridges Bistro & Pub's patio. Note they have a more formal restaurant upstairs which is very nice but the patio is where you want to be at on a sunny Vancouver afternoon. We usually go for a beer and a snack like a salad or calamari but they do have wide seafood menu for the patio. They are a tad pricey but you're also paying for location and a great view (though you can get the view for free behind the market :)). Also gets very busy.

Edible Canada: I think martincath on the board is enthusiastic about this restaurant. I haven't eaten there but it's known for local and interesting Canadian ingredients in a number of their interesting dishes.

[His post beat me to the punch! :)]

The Vancouver Fish Company: The restaurant for this location has changed a number of times over the last decade but the latest incarnation as the Vancouver Fish Company seems to have given it a bit of stability. We haven't eaten here but the patio overlooking the harbour is usually fairly busy when we go for a walk around Granville Island/head to Go Fish.

Tony's Fish & Oyster Cafe: This is located essentially beside The Vancouver Fish Company. It's a small fish & chip place and it's usually fairly busy. We've eaten there a few times and it's ok but we generally rather endure the wait for Go Fish.

Keg Steakhouse: It's a chain of mid-steakhouses with standard steakhouse fare like onion soup, wedge salads, etc mixed in with some bar grub fare. We end up going to a Keg once in a while for dinner and work but not sure if it's the best option for lunch on Granville Island.

The Sandbar: It's another of the Sequoia group of restaurants included the Teahouse and Cardero's as mentioned in the other thread. We've eaten here a couple of times in the last couple of years for various work events and with friends. It's ok. Good range of seafood items.

Dockside: On the other side of the Island is Dockside Restaurant with a range of items. I don't find them great for the price your paying. You're paying a premium for the view and essentially being attached to the Granville Island hotel.

Granville Island Brewing: It's mainly a brewery that has a small menu of food. I haven't eaten here but I do like their beer though.

A good Chinese place on/near Granville Island doesn't pop to mind though I think there is a place selling Chinese in the market's food court. However, I think there's more interesting places to eat in the market itself like soups at The Stock Market, A La Mode which sells sweet and savory pies and quiches, or put together a picnic with item from Oyama Sausage.

--

Yes, you can walk from the Hyatt but it's a bit of a hike. Personally, I don't love walking over the Granville Street Bridge as there's a lot of traffic, sidewalks are somewhat narrow, no barrier btw the sidewalk and road, and you overshoot Granville Island (apparently they're now an idea about building an elevator mid-bridge down to Granville Island but sometime within the next 20 years :D). Alternatively, you can walk to the waterfront on the downtown side and catch a short aquabus ride across.

Thank you, martincath and Milhouse! It will be Bridges or the Vancouver Fish Company. I am sure I can find good oysters and fish and chips both places.

BTW - any good buck a shuck places near Canada Place?

Thanks again.

On the topic of "Chinese" food.... what type?

• Dim Sum » a form of Oriental high tea served for breakfast and lunch. Highly recommended.
  • Chinese American?
  • Seafood?
  • Noodle House?
  • Food Court?
  • budget vs premium?
  • Cantonese? Northern? Hunan? Sichuan?

Thoughts....

• Kirin, Dynasty, and Victoria Chinese (in the Hyatt) are premium Chinese restaurants offering Dim Sum for brunch in Downtown Vancouver to Granville Island area. I like Floata when in the Chinatown area to the East.
  • Budget Chinese would have me going to Hon's, Peaceful, Congee Noodle House.
  • Some Chinese restaurants do a better job with non-Chinese customers than others. English or pictorial menus are very helpful.

wmKCc73NZLo [YOUTUBE]ky8bouLbbB8[/YOUTUBE]

BTW - any good buck a shuck places near Canada Place?.

Happy Hour you'll find buck-a-shuck in many places. Easy walk from CP I'd suggest Joe Forte's - their happy hour is a very good deal compared to regular menu pricing, and gives you a chance to check the vibe of the room and see if the nice space is worth the premium pricepoint for dinner some time.

Thank you, martincath and Milhouse! It will be Bridges or the Vancouver Fish Company. I am sure I can find good oysters and fish and chips both places.

BTW - any good buck a shuck places near Canada Place?

Thanks again.

Chewies in Coal Harbour is close to Canada Place, they have

Happy Hour buck a shuck Oysters from 3-6pm Mon-Sun, I prefer

their Kits location but it is still a good option.

I would say Edible Canada is your best option on Granville Island,

While I don't particularly like the food at Bridges or VFC their Patios are nice to sit on

and VCF has happy hour specials

We will be at the GI market around lunch time. Could the locals please recommend some good places to eat? Seafood, Chinese, etc.

Granville Island Brewing is more beer than food, but the beer is excellent. Also, check to see if the Public Market is still doing food tours - it's one of my favorite travel experiences to date (but that was also about 7 year ago, so...)